David Warner Experiences

I also find it weird the usual thinking they have is people are making lots of money off these cards when actually the balls and bats sell for far more money.

What I don't understand is people who don't sign cards like Warne and Warner as they don't like people profiteering from them supposedly only end up making their signed cards scarce and result in people profiteering from them.
Exactly, I mean honestly a GOOD signed David Warner card would most likely sell for 2x or 3x the price of a normal card which is signed by your average player. It's hilarious because Warner used to sign before he became a super star and has now become rude and arrogant to people who just want a signature. If I ever got to play first class cricket I sure would love to sign singatures haha :D

I live in Perth and often go to the WACA to watch training sessions and go to the ground early on a match day to do the same (i have rarely asked for autographs or photos i go to watch how professional teams train or to watch a legend in the nets at a 5m distance). Over the years i have seen every team react to fans and the results vary.... a lot!!
Best to worst teams in responding to requests for a picture or signature from my observation over the years as a teen through to now in my mid 30's:

1. Pakistan never saw an issue even Afridi was cool.
2. England (barring KP and Flintoff the latter especially. Just flat out rude) Andrew Stauss and Swanny would do anything within reason for fans.
3. NZ
4. Sri Lanka (Murali was a really nice guy but often hammered by media, but always made an effort. Sangakkara was a wary signer but generally obliged with some distain lol)
5. West Indies (Gayle and Shiv can go either way)
6. India...now they were close for last however they get a reprieve. They cannot go anywhere without at least 200 mad and generally rude fans hassling them in english and hindi (i am half indian so i understand most of what is said) the management are flat out against it and there's some real warners in the team. Sachin at heart you could see often would want to stop but security or team mates would block him and move him on. Sometimes he just raced by others he would at least wave or stop so you could get a pic of him at least. Sourav Ganguly was a warner too. Kholi first tour here was actually offering to sign for people, nobody knew who he was..he went on to score a WACA Century and the rest is history, now you can't touch him lol.
Some will most won't.
7. Australia, well most cannot or will not sign..simple. There's a rudeness of culture toward fans here yet on tour in UK almost all of them sign.

Surprises pleasant and unpleasant:
Brett Lee: India training session WACA around 6/7 years ago , Brett Lee was walking the oval doing an interview, the Indian ladies screaming to him (he had just released a song over there) he finished the interview ran over belted out his song, did pics, signatures the works. I was so shocked at how kind he was.

Mike Hussey - i loved Huss on the field, seemed a top bloke. However one day pre match net session 2 there were a lot of ppl clammering for him and Ponting (another iffy one) he saw all the people at the main net exit chatted to a team guy and pointed to a bag of cricket balls and an orange cone. Started walking to that exit then ran to another. 2 kids i mean 5/6 years old sprinted their little guts out about 50m to try and get something signed without saying a word , he literally waved them off.
They were shattered. I felt so horrible for them and i was so surprised he refused them.

Justin Langer: will not sign unless you answer his magic question "what's your name?" So it can be a dedicated auto which i think is great and fair enough.

Look athletes celebs whatever, don't owe us anything in relation to autos pics etc. Kids are used by savvy auto sharks and players know it. From my observation, 7/10 times respect, patience and MANNERS get you a long way , also wearing something to do with that team or player will help. You standing in an Aussie odi top yelling out at a touring player to sign multiple items will not. Next time instead of yelling out "Ay surname sign my xxxx" try " first name would you please/could i please get an autograph/photo" most players respond better. Unfortunately I see the same 6/7 grown men with their folders of photos and bags of mini bats at the WACA every time and they stuff it for anyone else...even kids (which i have seen that ploy used by a couple of them while they lurk in the background)
Sorry for the rant, i understand both sides and have seen all of this first hand.
If you are genuine the players tend to notice, but if genuine collectors appear to be the minority you'll get bypassed along with the vultures.

I live in Perth and often go to the WACA to watch training sessions and go to the ground early on a match day to do the same (i have rarely asked for autographs or photos i go to watch how professional teams train or to watch a legend in the nets at a 5m distance). Over the years i have seen every team react to fans and the results vary.... a lot!!
Best to worst teams in responding to requests for a picture or signature from my observation over the years as a teen through to now in my mid 30's:

1. Pakistan never saw an issue even Afridi was cool.
2. England (barring KP and Flintoff the latter especially. Just flat out rude) Andrew Stauss and Swanny would do anything within reason for fans.
3. NZ
4. Sri Lanka (Murali was a really nice guy but often hammered by media, but always made an effort. Sangakkara was a wary signer but generally obliged with some distain lol)
5. West Indies (Gayle and Shiv can go either way)
6. India...now they were close for last however they get a reprieve. They cannot go anywhere without at least 200 mad and generally rude fans hassling them in english and hindi (i am half indian so i understand most of what is said) the management are flat out against it and there's some real warners in the team. Sachin at heart you could see often would want to stop but security or team mates would block him and move him on. Sometimes he just raced by others he would at least wave or stop so you could get a pic of him at least. Sourav Ganguly was a warner too. Kholi first tour here was actually offering to sign for people, nobody knew who he was..he went on to score a WACA Century and the rest is history, now you can't touch him lol.
Some will most won't.
7. Australia, well most cannot or will not sign..simple. There's a rudeness of culture toward fans here yet on tour in UK almost all of them sign.

Surprises pleasant and unpleasant:
Brett Lee: India training session WACA around 6/7 years ago , Brett Lee was walking the oval doing an interview, the Indian ladies screaming to him (he had just released a song over there) he finished the interview ran over belted out his song, did pics, signatures the works. I was so shocked at how kind he was.

Mike Hussey - i loved Huss on the field, seemed a top bloke. However one day pre match net session 2 there were a lot of ppl clammering for him and Ponting (another iffy one) he saw all the people at the main net exit chatted to a team guy and pointed to a bag of cricket balls and an orange cone. Started walking to that exit then ran to another. 2 kids i mean 5/6 years old sprinted their little guts out about 50m to try and get something signed without saying a word , he literally waved them off.
They were shattered. I felt so horrible for them and i was so surprised he refused them.

Justin Langer: will not sign unless you answer his magic question "what's your name?" So it can be a dedicated auto which i think is great and fair enough.

Look athletes celebs whatever, don't owe us anything in relation to autos pics etc. Kids are used by savvy auto sharks and players know it. From my observation, 7/10 times respect, patience and MANNERS get you a long way , also wearing something to do with that team or player will help. You standing in an Aussie odi top yelling out at a touring player to sign multiple items will not. Next time instead of yelling out "Ay surname sign my xxxx" try " first name would you please/could i please get an autograph/photo" most players respond better. Unfortunately I see the same 6/7 grown men with their folders of photos and bags of mini bats at the WACA every time and they stuff it for anyone else...even kids (which i have seen that ploy used by a couple of them while they lurk in the background)
Sorry for the rant, i understand both sides and have seen all of this first hand.
If you are genuine the players tend to notice, but if genuine collectors appear to be the minority you'll get bypassed along with the vultures.

Some good points made Dylan.

I'm not sure which Australian team you are referring too as being rude, as I had no troubles whatsoever at a World Cup training last year (apart from David Warner of course)

I've always found Brett Lee to be a lovely guy, along with Mike Hussey so what you said about him surprises me. Mike Hussey gave me an instant TTM reply along with Ricky Ponting, so I guess IP autos depend on what kind of day the player is having, mood etc.

Also on Justin Langer, I've met him twice and he didn't ask for my name. He was happy to sign my autograph book (with a VERY detailed signature :) ) when I first met him and 4 cards the next time I met him. I was at a shield game walking to some shadier seats. Whilst heading there I turned around and saw Justin and quietly said to my mate s#@! that's Justin Langer behind us! I turned to Justin and asked if I could grab a couple of autographs when I didn't even have my cards or marker out and he said 'Yeah sure buddy'. I dropped my bag and got my cards out while he waited for me which was very nice of him, and signed my cards. I said to him what I say to all players after signing 'Cheers mate, have a good one' he replied 'No worries, thanks for asking'.

Your last paragraph is very well written. I fully understand where you're coming from. I always say 'Hey (first name) could I please grab a couple of quick autographs?' when requesting. Generally being a kid, chances are they won't refuse however if they do they will be nice about it. However David Warner just flat out ignores you. I agree that the 'sig pigs' as some of us call them can ruin it for us. They bring a folder full of cards and then flog them on eBay. But the fact that they're getting their kids to do it is just filthy. It's possibly going to make it harder and harder to get sigs as players become more and more untrusting.

Thanks for your input Dylan :)

No probs Keaton, Yeah unfortunately a few bad apples spoil the cart mate. I certainly agree also about what you mentioned about the type of day, match, net session etc a player is having as to how or if they respond to fans. You clearly go about things what I consider, the right way. I am certain you have seen much of the behaviours from fans that i mentioned as well. I am sure that like me you probably think "jeez i wish they would shut up and preferably p!ss off" lol
Personally, i think it would be polite to possibly single out a few ppl who to the best of their judgement were honest fans (especially kids and teens who look at these guys as role models) and give 3-5 minutes of their day just to potentially make another persons day. But without walking in their shoes i wouldn't like to judge. Perhaps it also varies in each state somewhat. WA guys see the same people at the WACA and maybe tell the others "mate don't bother this tosser is always here chasing sigs " who knows haha. Anyways, best of luck to anyone chasing a prized signature of their heroes. Always remember it is luck of the draw and a privilege to meet these people, not a right. Just because we bought a ticket or a shirt etc doesn't entitle us to anything more than we paid for. I can only imagine it must be frustrating for them at times. I have met a few Man utd players over the years and did have good experiences but again it depends on the day. 2 people could interact with the same person and walk away with a completely different experience depending on timing and approach. Unless it was Dave Warner perhaps haha.

No probs Keaton, Yeah unfortunately a few bad apples spoil the cart mate. I certainly agree also about what you mentioned about the type of day, match, net session etc a player is having as to how or if they respond to fans. You clearly go about things what I consider, the right way. I am certain you have seen much of the behaviours from fans that i mentioned as well. I am sure that like me you probably think "jeez i wish they would shut up and preferably p!ss off" lol
Personally, i think it would be polite to possibly single out a few ppl who to the best of their judgement were honest fans (especially kids and teens who look at these guys as role models) and give 3-5 minutes of their day just to potentially make another persons day. But without walking in their shoes i wouldn't like to judge. Perhaps it also varies in each state somewhat. WA guys see the same people at the WACA and maybe tell the others "mate don't bother this tosser is always here chasing sigs " who knows haha. Anyways, best of luck to anyone chasing a prized signature of their heroes. Always remember it is luck of the draw and a privilege to meet these people, not a right. Just because we bought a ticket or a shirt etc doesn't entitle us to anything more than we paid for. I can only imagine it must be frustrating for them at times. I have met a few Man utd players over the years and did have good experiences but again it depends on the day. 2 people could interact with the same person and walk away with a completely different experience depending on timing and approach. Unless it was Dave Warner perhaps haha.
Some more VERY good points there Dylan :)

Yep Dylan i agree they don't owe us to sign anything and especially when you see people with 5 of the same card or this wad of 15 cards to sign by the same person. But if i don't buy a ticket to the game, cards/merchandise and sub to foxtel to see away games then they don't have a job. Dean Jones just did an article about why aren't people going to the Gabba to watch test cricket anymore and that CA is just losing money because of the low attendance.

Its the same as if when i'm packing up my tools to go home or about to go for lunch and someone calls or asks a question and i'm just nope cant talk to you then you lose a client and future work. Ive got no interest when i'm tired and want to go home but i also know if i'm an ahole to that person it just costs me in the end

Years ago when you had the dog track and the hill at the gabba it was fun for everyone. Kids could have a hit on the field at lunch, now all thats gone so if you take autos away also you just lose people to other sports.

Very true mate, I think a top thing to do would be that when the teams reach a city, hold a 1-2 hr event where you can meet the players and get a picture or signature. 2 item limit per person. Job done - "sig pigs" wouldn't out number genuine collectors, the players know what they're in for, would be paid or incorporated into their wage for the event and everyone wins.
Rugby teams do it and i reckon other codes should get on board.

In terms of killing the day at the cricket, the WACA has been getting progressively worse over the years. Beach ball goes on the field, security pop it. Kids can't have a bat and ball to play with, beer snakes get people kicked out (i personally don't like beer snakes unless i am nowhere near getting slag and stale beer dropped on me haha) but any form of harmless fun to pass time gets snubbed out.
I know purists will say "well you're here to watch cricket not a circus" but if you don't like don't get involved.
I think they (CA) take the choice away from some players of doing as they wish in some cases as well by making a blanket rule of limited interaction with fans. Sir Alex Ferguson did it at man utd, no autographs unless it's an official event or a paid session with a 3rd party.

Very true mate, I think a top thing to do would be that when the teams reach a city, hold a 1-2 hr event where you can meet the players and get a picture or signature. 2 item limit per person. Job done - "sig pigs" wouldn't out number genuine collectors, the players know what they're in for, would be paid or incorporated into their wage for the event and everyone wins.
Rugby teams do it and i reckon other codes should get on board.

In terms of killing the day at the cricket, the WACA has been getting progressively worse over the years. Beach ball goes on the field, security pop it. Kids can't have a bat and ball to play with, beer snakes get people kicked out (i personally don't like beer snakes unless i am nowhere near getting slag and stale beer dropped on me haha) but any form of harmless fun to pass time gets snubbed out.
I know purists will say "well you're here to watch cricket not a circus" but if you don't like don't get involved.
I think they (CA) take the choice away from some players of doing as they wish in some cases as well by making a blanket rule of limited interaction with fans. Sir Alex Ferguson did it at man utd, no autographs unless it's an official event or a paid session with a 3rd party.
Wouldn't it make more sense for CA to just tell all players to have limited interaction with fans rather than some in particular??

Yeah I meant that in the sense of players who actually wouldn't mind signing a few autographs (not the Dave Warner types)

Well now I've seen it all. Not only is David Warner an arrogant piece of work, but he's also a liar! Go check out his Twitter feed right now if you don't know what I'm talking about....

Reading it is so infuriating. It's so untrue. I wonder what he'd have to say if he saw this thread... He'd probably get lawyers involved :p

Wow, that Kevin Collins bloke sure is getting stuck into him. After all the vitriol on this post, keato I'm surprised you haven't tweeted some insults his way :p :D

Wow, that Kevin Collins bloke sure is getting stuck into him. After all the vitriol on this post, keato I'm surprised you haven't tweeted some insults his way :p :D
Bahahaha, I'm surprised I haven't as well :D :p

He claims he signs if you're polite. Yet he didn't sign for about 30 kids who lined up for him patiently at a shield game. He only signs at games because there are cameras around. I think it'd be much easier if he just declined politely. If he was nice about it then there wouldn't be this problem. :)

Bahahaha, I'm surprised I haven't as well :D :p

He claims he signs if you're polite. Yet he didn't sign for about 30 kids who lined up for him patiently at a shield game. He only signs at games because there are cameras around. I think it'd be much easier if he just declined politely. If he was nice about it then there wouldn't be this problem. :)

To be fair, he did sign that one card for you the following day or whatever. My view has always been, beggars can't be choosers. You take what you can get and thank the person and not bag them out on the internet. I know it sucks when players won't sign, but this is the state of the hobby we are in now. Players don't live in a bubble, they see their signatures turn up on ebay constantly.

Back
Top Bottom