David Warner Experiences

Keatoboy

Travis Head #34
Real Name
Keaton
eBay User
keatoboy
Hi all,

I thought I'd make a thread to try and gauge some of the members on here's experiences with David Warner trying to get autographs etc. as I am extremely interested to see what kind of luck other people have had with him.

Personally, I've had 2 chances and my experience both times haven't been that good. One time he yelled at a couple of us, and the other time he said he'd be back in a minute, but never came back (this was after he ignored EVERY KID for about an hour, and then finally responded to someone, that someone being me, as he was going back down to the change rooms) I have my own opinion as to why he does this, but I won't post it here.

So yeah, feel free to drop your opinions on him on this thread!

Cheers :)

Hi all,

I thought I'd make a thread to try and gauge some of the members on here's experiences with David Warner trying to get autographs etc. as I am extremely interested to see what kind of luck other people have had with him.

Personally, I've had 2 chances and my experience both times haven't been that good. One time he yelled at a couple of us, and the other time he said he'd be back in a minute, but never came back (this was after he ignored EVERY KID for about an hour, and then finally responded to someone, that someone being me, as he was going back down to the change rooms) I have my own opinion as to why he does this, but I won't post it here.

Why not? Would be interested to hear your opinion.

Why not? Would be interested to hear your opinion.
Okay then. :)

Personally, I think he is a prima donna. (Definition: a very temperamental person with an inflated view of their own talent or importance.) He thinks he's the top man. That punch up with Joe Root should have been the end of him, and how they consider him leadership material is unbeknownst to me. In the words of @Matty76 'He is another Hookesy waiting to happen'

.....which of course no one wants to see. I often wonder though about how David Warner will manage post-cricket. Unfortunately, people who are as volcanic and "excitable" as he is tend to become the target of every half-cut moron looking to big-note themselves.

I have had a few experiences with David Warner and luckily all have been rather positive. I got him at the start of this years Matador Cup before a game and he was reluctant to sign however I got him one-on-one so he did sign a few items. I do know a few members of domestic and past australian teams and they say that not many people in the team like David Warner. @Wookiedragon was at a Matador Cup game with me and after waiting for David Warner to finish talking to Ivy Mae and his wife, David Warner signed the piece of paper the 4 cards were put on. To be honest, David Warner is a very good cricketer however not a good person at all.

Hi all,

What do you mean he yelled at you?

No offence to the guy but he probably is semi-literate.

And if you've heard him chew his way through Ch 9 cricket commentary, I don't think he'll get much of a career in the commentary box post-cricket.

Went to the NSW training at Adelaide Oval on Tuesday night. Only about 4 or 5 people there and whilst all the NSW guys were great signing and taking photos for whoever asked, David Warner refused to sign for anybody, despite being asked a few times. Even at the end of the night when everyone else had left my 13 year old son asked him for a quick photo. Wouldn't even acknowledge him and just walked straight past him without saying a word. Similar story at the Test Match training last year.

As Taylor Walker would say, just an overpaid galoot. The only times I hear that he is good to people is when there are cameras around, like a televised Matador Cup game.

I have had a few experiences with David Warner and luckily all have been rather positive. I got him at the start of this years Matador Cup before a game and he was reluctant to sign however I got him one-on-one so he did sign a few items. I do know a few members of domestic and past australian teams and they say that not many people in the team like David Warner. @Wookiedragon was at a Matador Cup game with me and after waiting for David Warner to finish talking to Ivy Mae and his wife, David Warner signed the piece of paper the 4 cards were put on. To be honest, David Warner is a very good cricketer however not a good person at all.

When he first came on the scene he was ok and would sign stuff all the time. I actually remember him giving some of his gear away when he was playing T20 only for NSW. No one knew who he was then.

Now is a different story. I went to half a dozen Aussie training sessions and a heap of games during the test, ODI and World Cup season. During that time, I managed to get every single Aussie player with the exception of Warner. He is a master of evasion. He will always take the long way around to avoid anyone wanting an autograph. As previously mentioned on here, he will ignor everyone. It is an embarrassment to Cricket Australia, and I can tell you they are well aware of it.

At North Sydney Oval I had been after him to sign my tap n play cards for almost 12 months. I also had a T20 world cup and a 2015 world cup card I needed to finish my Australian sets. After hearing he signed 10 cards for @cricketmad1212 I thought, why not, I will see if I can get my four different cards done so I don't need to bother him again until the new tap n play come out. There was no crowd at the game - NSW were not playing. First attempt he ignored me, walking straight past me. Second time I waited patiently while he talked to his wife and played with his daughter for over an hour. He then walked past me a second time I said please David can you sign a couple of cards for my collection. I had them on a note pad to make it easier for him to sign them in a hurry. He took the note pad and said I will sign one only for you. then proceeded to sign the piece of paper under the cards and handed it back to me. I was completely lost for words.

In all my time collecting signatures I have never been treated with such contempt. I was gutted. Even if he only signed one card it would have at least given me something for my collection. Instead I left with a bitter taste in my mouth that will take a while to change.

I have met hundreds and hundreds of cricketers and thankfully this behavior is not the norm. Most are excellent and will stop for a chat and sign for you.

I don't want to comment on this again, I would prefer to focus on positives - like meeting Brendan McCullum today :) and forget about our vice captain.

Last thing - if anyone at Tap N play are reading this. Please Please Please do not include Warner in future sets. He clearly does not want anything to do with cards, and I don't want to have to ask him to sign anything again. I've had enough embarrassment and wasted enough time chasing him.

When he first came on the scene he was ok and would sign stuff all the time. I actually remember him giving some of his gear away when he was playing T20 only for NSW. No one knew who he was then.

Now is a different story. I went to half a dozen Aussie training sessions and a heap of games during the test, ODI and World Cup season. During that time, I managed to get every single Aussie player with the exception of Warner. He is a master of evasion. He will always take the long way around to avoid anyone wanting an autograph. As previously mentioned on here, he will ignor everyone. It is an embarrassment to Cricket Australia, and I can tell you they are well aware of it.

At North Sydney Oval I had been after him to sign my tap n play cards for almost 12 months. I also had a T20 world cup and a 2015 world cup card I needed to finish my Australian sets. After hearing he signed 10 cards for @cricketmad1212 I thought, why not, I will see if I can get my four different cards done so I don't need to bother him again until the new tap n play come out. There was no crowd at the game - NSW were not playing. First attempt he ignored me, walking straight past me. Second time I waited patiently while he talked to his wife and played with his daughter for over an hour. He then walked past me a second time I said please David can you sign a couple of cards for my collection. I had them on a note pad to make it easier for him to sign them in a hurry. He took the note pad and said I will sign one only for you. then proceeded to sign the piece of paper under the cards and handed it back to me. I was completely lost for words.

In all my time collecting signatures I have never been treated with such contempt. I was gutted. Even if he only signed one card it would have at least given me something for my collection. Instead I left with a bitter taste in my mouth that will take a while to change.

I have met hundreds and hundreds of cricketers and thankfully this behavior is not the norm. Most are excellent and will stop for a chat and sign for you.

I don't want to comment on this again, I would prefer to focus on positives - like meeting Brendan McCullum today :) and forget about our vice captain.

Last thing - if anyone at Tap N play are reading this. Please Please Please do not include Warner in future sets. He clearly does not want anything to do with cards, and I don't want to have to ask him to sign anything again. I've had enough embarrassment and wasted enough time chasing him.

Well said... What did Brendon McCullum do?

Maybe signing all those Redemption cards as part of the ESP 2012/13 release scarred him for life!! :)

My own experiences for what it's worth.... Getting players to sign in Perth has become increasingly harder over the years anyway, but when he was last in Perth he was standing chatting to a chap near the players area when Australia were batting. When he finished talking I ask if he wouldn't mind signing a card. He said no and gestured up where Boof & the coaches were sitting and said 'they don't like us doing that during innings, but maybe later'.

Of course he was never seen again, but he was polite about it. So no complains from me. In fact in some ways I'd prefer players to refuse the sign as opposed to those people who do sign with a rubbish squiggle. But it's always hard to deal with rejection, particularly if they are rude at the same time :(

But I think it can also be a 'management' thing at times and sometimes I have found that players won't sign certain things because of 'obligations' like only allowed to sign official merchandise. I know Gary Ablett wouldn't sign anything associated with the brownlow medal (e.g pictures, etc) after he won it. He would just say that 'he couldn't' but was always nice about it and would sign other items and cards.

I have also found that some AFL players won't sign in the year they have an official signature card with Select.

But maybe those with greater understanding of how those official merchandise arrangment work,and what sort of limitations are placed on players, might share their knowledge in that area. But that moving off topic I guess.

@The Mad Hatter 's story that he ignored the kids at a targeted kids event is pretty disappointing though, particularly as he is a parent now himself. I'm ok with players giving preference to the kids as opposed to old bastards like me! :)

But it's one of the joys of card signings I guess...there will always be players who are happy to sign and then there are those who are more 'challenging'. We all have our own talks of wooh no doubt....I always found Phil Hughes challenging and was never able to get an ip signature before his untimely passing.....Hard to believe that was nearly 12 months ago.

A good discussion topic @Keatoboy ....it leads to a number of interesting aspects, because I am sure there are more "David Warner's" out there for us to encounter in our quest for signatures.

Have to say, have always heard and a couple of times have experienced Brad Haddin been a tough one to catch. This year at Bankstown, he actually chatted with my kids and signed a few of their cards and player profile posters. When they ran up to him I had huge doubts but he was actually nice. Watto I couldn't fault though...lovely bloke, much maligned (fairly or unfairly) as a player but seems like one of the nice guys.

Talking about bad experiences, I remember being at North Sydney Oval in October 1991 and NSW were blitzing Tassie in a FAI Cup/ Mercantile Mutual Cup game. All the Aussies were there - Slater, Taylor, Mark Waugh, Steve Waugh, Matthews, Whitney and Lawson with player like Small, Bayliss, Bevan, Emery and Holdsworth there too. We had these NSW posters to get signed and I waited for Mark Waugh (mind you I was 15 at the time). I get to the front of the queue and he says "Where's you're f***** pen?!?!" and proceeds to walk off and not sign anything else for anyone either. LOL. That said, about a year later I was at a rain affected SCG Mercantile Mutual Cup and I was getting some FAI cards signed and my biro burst in Greg Matthews hand. A gentleman, he looks at me and sighs, as he has all this blue ink smudged over his hand. He grabs another pen, signs, hands it back and starts asking for a towel. I still remember his face - this complete look of "oh for f**** sake!!!"

Allan Border in the last season of his career refused to sign ANY cards and would literally say "I'm not signing those f***** cards!!!". Merv did...what a character too.

EDIT : Just looked up score card - maybe Junior was shirty cause he got out for 1 and Tubby got 79 and Bevan 93.

There's definitely players who will, who won't and those that depend on their mood. I don't chase much these days. But when they ignore kids, makes my blood boil. Not just my kids, ALL kids. That said, those who are a-holes will end u being remembered for being a-holes.

And last summer, Mitch Marsh would sign anything and everything excitedly. Starc was like that 3-4 years ago. Now he's a bit "Oh...I have to do my rehab and sip some Gatorade."

Last edited:
As we know in life - What goes around, comes around....

PM snubs Warner
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...nister-malcolm-turnbull-brushes-david-warner/

So Warner now knows what it's like to be considered a 'random' like the rest of us.

Although his Twitter post about it is bizarre! What's with the haha...hehe. Reminds me of that old song....their coming to take me away hahaaa!

Maybe Australian cricket is more of a funny farm than we thought :rofl:

Have to say, have always heard and a couple of times have experienced Brad Haddin been a tough one to catch. This year at Bankstown, he actually chatted with my kids and signed a few of their cards and player profile posters. When they ran up to him I had huge doubts but he was actually nice. Watto I couldn't fault though...lovely bloke, much maligned (fairly or unfairly) as a player but seems like one of the nice guys.

Talking about bad experiences, I remember being at North Sydney Oval in October 1991 and NSW were blitzing Tassie in a FAI Cup/ Mercantile Mutual Cup game. All the Aussies were there - Slater, Taylor, Mark Waugh, Steve Waugh, Matthews, Whitney and Lawson with player like Small, Bayliss, Bevan, Emery and Holdsworth there too. We had these NSW posters to get signed and I waited for Mark Waugh (mind you I was 15 at the time). I get to the front of the queue and he says "Where's you're f***** pen?!?!" and proceeds to walk off and not sign anything else for anyone either. LOL. That said, about a year later I was at a rain affected SCG Mercantile Mutual Cup and I was getting some FAI cards signed and my biro burst in Greg Matthews hand. A gentleman, he looks at me and sighs, as he has all this blue ink smudged over his hand. He grabs another pen, signs, hands it back and starts asking for a towel. I still remember his face - this complete look of "oh for f**** sake!!!"

Allan Border in the last season of his career refused to sign ANY cards and would literally say "I'm not signing those f***** cards!!!". Merv did...what a character too.

EDIT : Just looked up score card - maybe Junior was shirty cause he got out for 1 and Tubby got 79 and Bevan 93.

There's definitely players who will, who won't and those that depend on their mood. I don't chase much these days. But when they ignore kids, makes my blood boil. Not just my kids, ALL kids. That said, those who are a-holes will end u being remembered for being a-holes.

And last summer, Mitch Marsh would sign anything and everything excitedly. Starc was like that 3-4 years ago. Now he's a bit "Oh...I have to do my rehab and sip some Gatorade."
Yeah Brad Haddin doesn't sign TTM and I have also heard he is tough to get. I'm hoping to catch him at a BBL training this year.

I think when players are new there is some sort of novelty that kids actually want their autograph and it's somewhat exciting. Sooner or later the novelty wears off BUT the player is still happy to sign, however with David Warner, that clearly wasn't the case. I agree with the Starc statement, when I got him the other day he was a bit iffy.

I think most of the guys nowadays are really down to earth and just another average joe (with massive bank accounts) and are really easy and nice to talk to, EXCEPT David Warner.

As a young kid in N.Z. Through the seventies,we were able to wander on to the ground at lunch and tea and when the day was finished with our autograph books and get sigs from some of the great players
From that time,think of the great W.Indians,the Aussies,and not to forget the Poms of that era,and not to forget some of the great Kiwis,not once we knocked back and they would often have a few words with you,some of the players these days could well take a leaf out of there book and remember where they came from as they were kids once and probably did the same thing,there was nothing sweeter than getting a auto as a kid and would put a smile on your face,
In finishing I would like to say,back then the game was played for fun,hard on the field but fun off the ground,I believe money has changed the mindset of a lot of players who believe there shit don't stink
Some of them ought to be grateful they have this opportunity and it is because of us the SUPPORTER

Funny to think that the press used to ride/travel with touring cricket team on the same bus. Imagine players having to deal with that too?

Back
Top Bottom