Custom tax/import duties on a graded submision?

ozsportscardcollector

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Damien
I recently did my first ever sub with SGC and just received an email from Fed express Australia that before delivery I have to pay import tax. WTF?

This has never happened before.

Has anyone else experienced this with getting their cards graded? I hope it's a mistake.

Sorry dont have the full letter but this is what was on the front of my package from SGC saying no customs to be paid.
A373E4F0-16A5-442E-BC91-E6E562A0B4FE.jpeg

I had 10 cards and declared the value at $1040. I always try to declare the correct value. A guestimate with the grades I expect to get. Again, I've had 30 card subs with PSA and declared at 3 or 4 K and no problem.

Sorry dont have the full letter but this is what was on the front of my package from SGC saying no customs to be paid.

A373E4F0-16A5-442E-BC91-E6E562A0B4FE.jpeg
Hopefully they have this letter with my shipment. I just contacted fedex and they told me I have to contact SGC and get them to write fedex an email explaining that the items were mine and that they evaluated them. Perhaps you are the only person on here who has had a graded sub from SGC that was declared at more than $1000? Or at least the only one who wished to clarify it. Thank you. Much appreciated.

The re-importation of your own cards is not subject to import duties under item 17 of Schedule 4 to the Customs Tariff Act 1995 (Customs Bylaw 0176874). To avoid situations like yours the sender must attach a note to that effect, ideally quoting the item number. That email from the sender to Fedex should get things rolling.
Technically the cost of the appraisal is subject to GST, but in practice you'll only be charged GST for importing low value goods or services when you're dealing with or through one of the bigger multinationals.

The re-importation of your own cards is not subject to import duties under item 17 of Schedule 4 to the Customs Tariff Act 1995 (Customs Bylaw 0176874). To avoid situations like yours the sender must attach a note to that effect, ideally quoting the item number. That email from the sender to Fedex should get things rolling.
Technically the cost of the appraisal is subject to GST, but in practice you'll only be charged GST for importing low value goods or services when you're dealing with or through one of the bigger multinationals.
I just got another sms from FEDEX Australia today stating that my item has landed and unless I pay $250 by the 20th of August it's return to sender. I can't believe this is actually happening. I've tried emailing SGC but no reply.

Given that SGC have not replied to my email I'm assuming they haven't read it much less acted upon it.

How much was your service level fee?
Over $1000aud? If so they are collecting based on that figure, not the cards themselves.

Happens to all my psa orders that go over a certain service level fee amount.

NEVER.. EVER.. Send the contents of parcel value to them okay. They cannot and will not open it unless it is suspicious in nature.

How did you go mate? Did your cards arrive, and did they have the letter attached?

I received a 1 card package back from SGC on Friday morning and it had the note with it.

It got through without any customs fee, and It was insured for the value on the outer parcel at 3000usd.

Might be worth fighting it if you did have the letter attached to parcel.

20210829_105151.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I'm so fried in the brain, when I received the parcel on Monday I threw away the paperwork. I've just had to do a bin rummage and sure enough the note is there. Fedex clearly had not looked at any of this and just acted on the electronic info. I will fight it. I had to pay the c....s $138.

Again, thanks for posting. I'll now put my filthy, stinking t shirt in the wash. Hopefully, the bin rummage might result in getting my money back. Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom