Cricket survey - All welcome

BLOWN8

Such is life!
Real Name
Darren
eBay User
dazza_1563
Hello Cricket Card Collectors!

If you would like to have your say on what you would like to see in the up coming cricket release then you can fill out the survey below.

Your answers may be used to shape the BBL Cricket release so have a think about each question before you answer and feel free to pass the link along to others you know who collect

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DCTYBPV

I'm guessing you got the email as well from Tap N Play asking for ideas about this summers set?

No I don’t think I did. Or maybe I did, how long ago was that?

Recently......one question was asked around the number of WBBL cards in each team set.......CA is pushing for more parity between the womens and mens players and want 50/50 splits in the products.

Including inserts.

Recently......one question was asked around the number of WBBL cards in each team set.......CA is pushing for more parity between the womens and mens players and want 50/50 splits in the products.

Including inserts.

Yeah right. That is one of the questions in the survey. I actually voted to have fewer women’s cards in the set. I’m happy for some to be in there but 50/50 is a little over the top, 80/20 is probably more where I think it should be.

Also I like the idea of signatures 1:2 boxes. This is how I picture it, 8 signature cards numbered too 100 and 1:2 boxes, then in the other box without a signature card you’d find another insert numbered to 50 with 16 in the set. Or maybe have 2 other insert sets numbered to 50 and 8 cards in each. I think that way the sigs have good collectibility and hold value plus the boxes without a sig still have a real nice low numbered hit which /50 should hold good value also.

Also I like the idea of signatures 1:2 boxes. This is how I picture it, 8 signature cards numbered too 100 and 1:2 boxes, then in the other box without a signature card you’d find another insert numbered to 50 with 16 in the set. Or maybe have 2 other insert sets numbered to 50 and 8 cards in each. I think that way the sigs have good collectibility and hold value plus the boxes without a sig still have a real nice low numbered hit which /50 should hold good value also.

Ok if we extrapolate this out...... 1 in 2 boxes for signatures.

That's 5 signatures a case, x 600 cases (likely print run) say there is one per BBL team (8) and (2) WBBL signatures 10 signatures in total.

That's 300 per signature which means that they will be a $20-40 card which delivers no value to anyone.

If you have them 3 per case it equals 180 copies per card.......a bit more value there but still maybe only pulling $40-70 a card......for a 3 per case hit.

On top of this you will be paying $4.99 a pack.......so RRP per box is $179.64 and if you hit a signature you may get back $70 in value for it.

For someone buying a case getting 3 signatures (the best hits per case) will bring you back $210 in value for the sigs......and the case cost is $1796.40 RRP.

It's a very tough gig trying to work out how to deliver value and also something for the collector......along with being sustainable enough to make money and sell a large chunk of your print run.

Cheers
Matt

I just think the last BBL release was massively over priced considering it was 1 signature card per 4ish boxes, with no other numbered inserts or better hits than mentioned sigs. Just no value there. I love cricket cards and don’t buy to make money but one reason I didn’t touch the BBL was zero value in them, and if you purchased a couple of boxes at $160ish a pop you could quite easily spend $320 and get cards to the value of about $60. Clearly I didn’t do the math but lower the cases produced and have them 1:3 boxes but make the other boxes have another nice low numbered insert of some sort.

A massive issue for me would be WHO the manufacturer will being going forward. I simply do not trust the ethics of Tap n Play or the production of their cards, as we have seen a litany of issues in the past. My personal view is that irrespective of the survey results, nothing will change sadly.

They sure have had issues, no question. The quality of the cards in the last release were extremely bad for a product of that asking price. I suspect these issues will want to be ironed out or it could spell disaster.

Getting back to you @Matt26 with the 600 cases thing. Why would they want to produce so many cases when they are needing to discount last years quite heavily, from the outside it appears like sales weren’t that great. Maybe they should look at more around 300-400 cases.

Getting back to you @Matt26 with the 600 cases thing. Why would they want to produce so many cases when they are needing to discount last years quite heavily, from the outside it appears like sales weren’t that great. Maybe they should look at more around 300-400 cases.

Last years had 2 releases so they had 300 and 400 of each from memory?

They need to print enough to ensure it’s going to turn a profit.

I’d say a minimum 500 cases would need to be made.

Price per pack and quality assurance need to be improved to ensure any chance of success in future.

Last years had 2 releases so they had 300 and 400 of each from memory?

They need to print enough to ensure it’s going to turn a profit.

I’d say a minimum 500 cases would need to be made.

Price per pack and quality assurance need to be improved to ensure any chance of success in future.

But where’s the profit in making 500 cases and only selling say 250 then offering big discounts on the rest? But I get what you are saying though. It needs to make money or there’s no point for the manufacturers. I think the quality issues of Ashes plus the higher price might have scared a few off the BBL, sort that out along with better distribution and it’s a good start.

But where’s the profit in making 500 cases and only selling say 250 then offering big discounts on the rest? But I get what you are saying though. It needs to make money or there’s no point for the manufacturers. I think the quality issues of Ashes plus the higher price might have scared a few off the BBL, sort that out along with better distribution and it’s a good start.

Cause if you only make 250 cases to sell then that's it....you cant go back and print more. There isn't a huge difference in printing 250 cases and 500 cases if the presses are running.......its also cheaper per pack to print more.

If you make 500 cases you have the ability to sell 500 cases if the product is well put together and at a great price........you may only sell 300 cases at full wholesale which will probably make your money back in production costs etc and for the rest.....well even if its dumped at cost is all profit as you have already made your money back.

If they only made 250 cases prices would be $7 and $8 a pack.

One of the big issues is that people arent going to the newsagents as much anymore (outside of lotteries) and this limits the possibility of getting the product into your customers hands as an impulse buy. Those people who do make it in there are being turned off by the cost of $5-7 a pack.

That's why you see in NRL Traders/Power Play is mass marketed but things like Elite and the rest go mainly through dealers.

The main problem is the cricket card market just isn't big enough anymore

look how many different companies have tried and failed, and there have been some good sets produced in that time. The SEP Big Bash set was a brilliant set with great signature cards from international stars and even that couldn't sell well enough to get a second set.

In relation to a coming set it can't be 50/50 between men's and women's cards but i have no problem with women taking some of the set but it cant be half.

In terms of value for money there seems to be very little resale value to the current cards which makes it hard to buy big quantities as you know you cant get much back on your doubles. A couple of things probably impact this, the high per pack cost which might limit the market to start with and also the lack of numbered inserts (and maybe also the lateness of last years). I would love to know how the TNP products have sold over the years and see if there is an increase or decline. The non signature inserts from last years big bash are almost worthless

Regarding the signatures, maybe there needs to be a tiered system of signatures as there weren't enough signatures per box ratio in last years big bash set, i thought the ashes was about right with 1 per 2 boxes and the predictor in the other box, so either they need more signers or to make a few sign more than the others, maybe this will get sorted this year with only 1 set so the test and one day players can be in the big bash set.

Yeah right. That is one of the questions in the survey. I actually voted to have fewer women’s cards in the set. I’m happy for some to be in there but 50/50 is a little over the top, 80/20 is probably more where I think it should be.

Wow.... And here I was thinking Neanderthal ideals were extinct???

The Women's teams have produced far more success and titles than the men's team on a poofteenth of the money, with many of the women actually playing the game for the love of it and for the pride in the baggy green. It's in my lifetime that the women had to take unpaid leave to represent their country, pay for their own flights, accomodation and there was no such thing as sponsorship other than small gifts of money from family and friends. They have more guts, determination and pride than some of their male counterparts and a hell of a lot less of an ego too!! You'll never see a scrap of cheating or sandpaper in the women's game!!! How very dare they ask to be recognised equally in pay, in rights and in benefits!!! You clearly have no idea how much the women have given up for the sport!! It's only now that CA is starting to chart history to honour the girls who represented in the past, not just the current. 50/50 is completely fair!!!! One Aussie Country, two national teams with men's and women's = 50/50 split in the cards, and whatever you don't want, I'll have!!! Including the rare cards that you'd be squabbling over in a 80/20 split!!

**steps off soapbox**

I'm just a cricket fanatic who loves the game and seeing the women finally get some recognition. In terms of value, I think things are waaaaay different for me as an ordinary collector and not a professional trader. If I really like a card, I'll pay what I feel it's worth to me. I have no doubt that I have probably overpaid $$ wise, but I'm ok with that! It's in my collectors folder and I'm happy because I have no intention of reselling.
The biggest issue for me was distribution. I could not buy cards from a newsagent or similar. It was from Diggaz or TNP direct and that was it! With footy season on us, all I can see is packets at supermarkets, agencies etc! You can't release cricket cards so late and expect success.

Wow.... And here I was thinking Neanderthal ideals were extinct???

The Women's teams have produced far more success and titles than the men's team on a poofteenth of the money, with many of the women actually playing the game for the love of it and for the pride in the baggy green. It's in my lifetime that the women had to take unpaid leave to represent their country, pay for their own flights, accomodation and there was no such thing as sponsorship other than small gifts of money from family and friends. They have more guts, determination and pride than some of their male counterparts and a hell of a lot less of an ego too!! You'll never see a scrap of cheating or sandpaper in the women's game!!! How very dare they ask to be recognised equally in pay, in rights and in benefits!!! You clearly have no idea how much the women have given up for the sport!! It's only now that CA is starting to chart history to honour the girls who represented in the past, not just the current. 50/50 is completely fair!!!! One Aussie Country, two national teams with men's and women's = 50/50 split in the cards, and whatever you don't want, I'll have!!! Including the rare cards that you'd be squabbling over in a 80/20 split!!

**steps off soapbox**

Yep step off that soapbox because here's a thought, i actually know all that already, nothing new to me. But i don't think the women's game is as popular or as followed as the men's, please produce the figures to prove me wrong here. I know the woman's game has lifted in popularity over the past 10 or so years which is great, and might rise more due to what happened to the men's team. All females sport has risen in pay, media coverage and because of that has risen in popularity. But that doesn't mean the money is there for the girls to get paid the same as the guys, if you think it is then you are deluded. Maybe at some stage in the future it will be. And it's not a Neanderthal idea, it's actually just my opinion on what i want in the set. Fill in the survey and say you want a 50/50 split and you can have your say, but dont get on here and think you can shoot me down for having an opinion.

Irrespective of the composition issues and value for money considerations, the bigger issue is the actual release date.

Last year’s BBL release was a problem for collectors who use the cards for IPs, and the lateness of the release was a real problem on that front. This will become even more of an issue in 2019/20 with CA already stating that the WBBL will become a stand alone competition to start off the cricket season, with games moved into the October-November period.

We know that the men’s BBL “window” for finishing their teams has recently been between early August & early December.

These dates will no doubt impact on when team sets can be finalised for inclusion in a release.

So all good to include WBBL in the upcoming release this year, but broader issues with release arrangement moving forward.

Also any word on whether TnP will continue with the split release approach this season, ie a test release & a BBL release?

Back
Top Bottom