Cricket books

Got a few books for Christmas and one of them was Phillip huges auto and must say one of my best reads for a while,gives you a real insight to him as a person,not just a cricketer and not hard to see why he was loved so much around the world as well is here in Australia
Would recommend to anyone and especially to the young people out there

Enjoyed reading all these.
Adam Gilchrist True Colours
Matthew Hayden Standing my Ground
Glenn McGrath Line and strength
Ricky Ponting captain diaries 2009
Botham The Autobiography
Freddie The biography of Andrew Flintoff

Currently reading Nasser Hussains Playing with fire. Enjoying this too.

Not cricket but Andrew Johns The Two Of Me is worth reading too.

Mike Atherton's autobiography, "Opening Up", is fantastic. I love Athers as a commentator and a journalist - I appreciate his dry wit. You can get copies of "Opening Up" on eBay. It was published in 2003 from memory.

I see that Chris Gayle is publishing his autobiography - titled "Six Machine" - in June. (Insert "he's WRITTEN one more than he's READ" gag here! :) )

Mike Atherton's autobiography, "Opening Up", is fantastic. I love Athers as a commentator and a journalist - I appreciate his dry wit. You can get copies of "Opening Up" on eBay. It was published in 2003 from memory.

I see that Chris Gayle is publishing his autobiography - titled "Six Machine" - in June. (Insert "he's WRITTEN one more than he's READ" gag here! :) )
I'm a big Atherton fan. Good guy and I also love listening to his commentary. I'll definitely get that next I reckon.

Finished reading "Decima Norman: The First Golden Girl" - the biography on the first athlete to win five gold medals at any International Track & Field event (1938 British Empire Games) - brilliantly researched story on a pioneer of Australian Athletics and forerunner to Cuthbert, Strickland, Flintoff, Boyle, Freeman etc.

Also just read Richard Cashman's great little book on the legendary "YABBA" - the great SCG sports barracker of the 1920's & 30's and my current read is Max Bonnell's "Lucky", the story of Australia's 1926 Ashes Captain; Herbie Collins which I can recommend so far

Agree completely mate.

I have just started "Sex, Drugs and Rebel Tours - The England Cricket Team in the 1980's" by David Tossell (he also wrote "Grovel", about the West Indies tour of England in 1976) and it is great!

My favourite ever cricket book is "Captains on a Seesaw" by Phil Tressider, about the 1968-69 West Indies tour of Australia. I'm not sure where you could get a copy now but if you can source one, it is excellent read.

More recent books that I recommend are:

Fierce Focus - Greg Chappell autobiography
The Captains - Malcolm Knox (history of Australia's Test captains)
Bradman's War - Malcolm Knox (story of the 1948 Invincibles tour)
The Rebel Tours: Cricket's Crisis of Conscience - Peter May
True Colours - Adam Gilchrist autobiography
Glorious Summers and Discontents - Michael Atherton (selection of his newspaper columns)

All of these are on kindle :)
I grabbed Captains on a seesaw at a second hand bookshop for $6 on Wednesday great read so far

There are books from Jonathan Trott, A.B de Villiers, Michael Clarke, Mitchell Johnson, Mark Nicholas, Dennis Lillee, Brad Hogg and Brad Haddin being released over the next few months.

Right, thanks to a subscriber email from Ken Piesse (www.cricketbooks.com.au) we can now match book cover images to some of the authors I have listed above. There are others as well, including the autobiography of Chris Rogers! :)

0abeeea5-dbc0-4c13-92e2-cadd896b62da.jpg

0eead1e3-1e43-42c5-a13f-1db7215ca156.jpg

1d068ade-6c4a-41b8-b2bc-0e6060184d81.jpg

1dbd6f6c-7d86-4e1c-ba63-7512e3b97aa1.jpg

6c1e072b-8b52-4b3e-9375-181b683c32ae.jpg

43c2fbf6-5727-4fc7-aaa9-ba26ad9540cf.jpg

76414995-8a06-477c-b737-4a3a0c91268f.jpg

e92c0174-816e-481d-8d86-bfe602fa7a80.png

Just got my copy of the new Gideon Haigh book on the immortal Victor Trumper and the famous Beldham photograph

I'll get my way through it easily because like most of his books they are beautifully written and a contagious read...

Six chapters in, it seems to me that George Bradley Hogg has written the cricket book of the summer. It is a great mix of humour, hard lessons and reflection. All this, and I'm only up to the second match of his Western Australian career.

Never before have I read the words "I was leaking bum gravy" appear in ANY autobiography!! :)

Back
Top Bottom