Cricket books

Used to have a large cricket book collection; over 800 titles, then the kids came along.....

Fave was Arthur Mailey's 10 for 66 And All That

His describing of how he bowled to Victor Trumper - and got him out - is one of the most moving passages I've ever read, cricket or otherwise.

David Frith is another author I have a high regard for. Loves his cricket and the historical side of the game.

John

I agree John, Mailey's book is brilliant and the passage you describe has been lauded for many a year...

Frith's "Pageant of Cricket" is probably the best compendium of Test and 1st Class cricket images ever compiled and both books are well thumbed through at my home also...

I did my History Honours thesis on West Indian involvement in Southern African cricket between 1959 and 1989, so I've got a few favourites....

Firstly, I find most cricket books - both history books and biographies - rather simply written and mostly written in a 'paint by number' style.

The Rebel Tours by Peter May is amazingly researched and very informative about a period that is rarely discussed.
CLR James' Beyond A Boundary is possibly the greatest sports book I've ever had the pleasure of reading

Another favourite is Bruce Francis' 'Guilty - Bob Hawke or Kim Hughes' - mostly as its cover to cover propaganda. Its simply breathtaking to read.

Of the West Indian cricketers' biographies, I found Marshall and Holding's the best, in both writing style and also informativeness.

And yeah... I've got about 50 cricket books, so you've got me beaten by a far distance John.

Good point re. modern (auto) biographies. I only read books I can get from the library, though the ones I had in my collection did contain a few gems: Frances Edmonds - wife of Phil - had some quite readable (certainly not highbrow) ones; 'Percy, the Perspicacious Memoirs Of A Cricketing Man' by Pat Pocock (and a great title!) was another enjoyable read.
Ponting's 'diaries' nearly sent me to sleep, ditto Steve Waugh's offerings.

Agree 100% on your comments about the Bruce Francis book!

Of the West Indians, Gordon Greenidge's 'Man In The Middle' is one of the best. Tough upbringing, and what life has dealt him, but still one of West Indies' finest batsmen.
I had a copy of 'Beyond A Boundary' but never got around to reading it, I'm sorry to say.....

I'm still regretting selling all my cricket books a decade or so ago, but hopefully some of them have gone to good homes!!

cheers
John

Good point re. modern (auto) biographies. I only read books I can get from the library, though the ones I had in my collection did contain a few gems: Frances Edmonds - wife of Phil - had some quite readable (certainly not highbrow) ones; 'Percy, the Perspicacious Memoirs Of A Cricketing Man' by Pat Pocock (and a great title!) was another enjoyable read.
Ponting's 'diaries' nearly sent me to sleep, ditto Steve Waugh's offerings.

Agree 100% on your comments about the Bruce Francis book!

Of the West Indians, Gordon Greenidge's 'Man In The Middle' is one of the best. Tough upbringing, and what life has dealt him, but still one of West Indies' finest batsmen.
I had a copy of 'Beyond A Boundary' but never got around to reading it, I'm sorry to say.....

I'm still regretting selling all my cricket books a decade or so ago, but hopefully some of them have gone to good homes!!

cheers
John

I've got 'Man In The Middle' but due to its publication date - 1980 and therefore prior to all the 1980s Rebel tours of South Africa - I didn't read it in depth. Might pick it up and give it a read.

Highly recommend Beyond a Boundary.

For nigh on 30 years I have had a book by Brian Crowley titled Cricket's Exiles (about South African cricket).

I only recently re-read it and it all made sense. As a kid (I was 9 in 1985), I had no idea who South Africa were on the cricketing stage (due to the ban). That era of cricket fascinates me, especially the Rebel tours and all that. It's like that period in Australia around 1985 including the Ashes is all but glossed over and forgotten.

For nigh on 30 years I have had a book by Brian Crowley titled Cricket's Exiles (about South African cricket).

I only recently re-read it and it all made sense. As a kid (I was 9 in 1985), I had no idea who South Africa were on the cricketing stage (due to the ban). That era of cricket fascinates me, especially the Rebel tours and all that. It's like that period in Australia around 1985 including the Ashes is all but glossed over and forgotten.

That's another very informative and very biased book.

I was 6 for the 1992 World Cup, and I couldn't understand what all the fuss about South Africa playing was - in my mind both Zimbabwe and South Africa had just joined international cricket and therefore was confused why one was getting a huge amount of attention and why the other was so bad.

I remember when the original promo posters for WC'92 came out, there was no South Africa on them. They only came in to contention very very late in the piece.

If anyone can recommend any books for this Rebel era of the 1980's, I'd be glad to know.

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 1.24.03 pm.png

I remember when the original promo posters for WC'92 came out, there was no South Africa on them. They only came in to contention very very late in the piece.

If anyone can recommend any books for this Rebel era of the 1980's, I'd be glad to know.

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 1.24.03 pm.png

The Rebel Tours by Peter May is great - here's a review by Cricinfo (http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/438099.html).

Its very well researched and well referenced, its probably the best book out there on the subject.

It is based heavily on newspaper articles, biographies and recollections solely because so few people are willing to speak truthfully on the subject. Certainly the best book on the subject I could find - I'd be very interested in reading anything else on the subject that other people wish to recommend.

The Cricket Exiles book you mentioned earlier is the best book covering the subject from a South African perspective, whilst I'm yet to find a decent West Indian perspective on the topic - Michael Manley's History of West Indian cricket mentions it only to berate them.

Last edited:
I loved The Rebel Tours book - as a child of the 80's who didn't follow any sport I found it absolutely invaluable once I became a serious cricket and history fanatic in the early 90's.

I can't wait for the three upcoming Richie Benaud books:

Benaud in Wisden - released 21st October
benaud-in-wisden.jpg

Remembering Richie - released 22nd October
Richie Benaud: Those Summers of Cricket - Paul Connolly - released 1st November

If his other books are anything to go by, this will be brilliant! Released on 21st October
the-keepers.jpg

You should read Golden boy by Christian Ruan

I loved The Rebel Tours book - as a child of the 80's who didn't follow any sport I found it absolutely invaluable once I became a serious cricket and history fanatic in the early 90's.

I can't wait for the three upcoming Richie Benaud books:

Benaud in Wisden - released 21st October
benaud-in-wisden.jpg

Remembering Richie - released 22nd October
Richie Benaud: Those Summers of Cricket - Paul Connolly - released 1st November

If his other books are anything to go by, this will be brilliant! Released on 21st October
the-keepers.jpg
Malcolm Knox is a great writer his book Taylor and Beyond is a great read

This one by Malcolm Knox and Peter Lalor - released on 1st November - will be a "must have" :-(

phillip-hughes.jpg

"Phillip Hughes - the Official Biography is a celebration of the life and career of the Macksville boy who played 26 Tests and 25 one-day matches for Australia, 2009-13.

The book is an illustrated biography in the mould of The Master by Les Carlyon. Personal photos from the Hughes family archives meld with beautiful agency photography to create a lavish, poignant album of tribute to be enjoyed by all ages. The manuscript is to be written with the exclusive co-operation of the Hughes' family from deep research and 100+ interviews conducted by pre-eminent cricket writer, noted fiction and NF author and successful ghost-writer Malcolm Knox (Ben Cousins , QF32, The Crossroad ). Co-authoring the book is Peter Lalor, chief cricket writer for The Australian, author (Barassi, The Bridge) and Hughes' best friend in the press corp.

The book intimately charts Hughes' country town upbringing as the son of a banana farmer father and Italian mother and the emergence of his rare sporting talent. It follows his journey from the bush to the big smoke and his arrival in the big time as a NSW and, ultimately, an Australian cricketer. Along the way we celebrate the most spectacular moments in a short life - Hughes' greatest innings, the effect he had on team-mates, fans and lovers of the game. It is an extraordinary tale of an extraordinary Australian kid playing the game he loved, only to lose his life to it, and a portrait of a nation who mourned the death of Hughes as it had never done before."

The summer issue of "Cricket Life" magazine is out in the newsagents - in one of my vary rare nods to the "younger generation" way of doing things, I downloaded mine yesterday! I can't recommend it highly enough and the same goes with the previous two issues. For example, in the current issue there are columns by Steve O'Keefe, Chris Hartley, Tim Ludeman, former Tasmanian left-armer Andrew Downton, a feature on the West Indian rebels from the 1980's, as well as one on Chris Lynn's new online T20 academy.

I am halfway through "The Keepers" by Malcolm Knox (just at the start of the Rod Marsh era) and it is absolutely outstanding.

I subscribed to cricket life after hearing about it on here it is a top read. I also think the inside crickey magazine has really picked up a lot with Robert Drane as editor. They also do a great story about the WI Rebels. I'd love to read a book about it.
I'm halfway through Establishment men and it is a fantastic read. I also have the Grade Cricketer book which is an awesome book.

Just reading through the new Rick Sisson's research masterpiece titled - "Reggie" - the biography of Victor Trumper's opening partner; Reginald Duff, who shone at cricket for a short time only, before dying very young at 33.

A fantastic read on one of Australia's largely unknown greats of the 'Golden era' (and my card images look fabulous on the endpapers as well!)

Sorry for the gratuitous plug... but it really is a great read and well done to Rick & Ken Piesse for getting it to fruition

Just found this thread and what a great forum.
Best I've read in the last few years, in order - Golden Boy, Bradman's War, The Greatest, The Hansie Cronje Story and In The Best Interests Of The Game (by Darrell Hair). Haven't seen the last two mentioned here but both very interesting reads. I've also recently read Tong Greig - Love War & Cricket, not bad but I found it bogged down a bit in patches.
Malcolm Knox is a great cricket writer, The Keepers will definitely be at the top of my shopping list.

Back
Top Bottom