Coronavirus (COVID-19) info and stories

Super rugby season now suspended.
NZ warrirors have to play based in Australia for the NRL due to travel rerestrictions and new quarantine procedures in NZ

Super rugby season now suspended.
NZ warrirors have to play based in Australia for the NRL due to travel rerestrictions and new quarantine procedures in NZ

Can see this being ‘okay’ for a couple weeks but if the kiwi government extends it when reviewed it could be trouble. Some of the partners of the players have already complained about it so think there will be plenty of backlash if NRL try to enforce it for an extended period eg months

I'm leaning towards keeping kids home from school this week. Do my part and make a decision since ScoMo is too busy following Trumps lead or at the footy ffs
Unless your household has people that are in the demographic of the population who are vulnerable to this virus then why? Realistically schools will be closed at some point & isolation is going to happen. I'd say keep whatever leave you have up your sleeve for when you have to be home because either you've tested positive or the schools have closed & you need to look after the kids.

Personally i think the panic is worse than the virus itself. Yeah be concerned & take precautious measures but people are losing their minds out there. Its horrible to say that some people will die but we had 1500 people die of the flu last year with the majority of those being the elderly & we have a vaccine for that. We have gastro outbreaks in nursing homes & that kills people too.

I think maybe people are freaked out because people hear the numbers or the rate of deaths on the tv, i'm not sure. Just remember the numbers are not that accurate. You have people who have it & don't know it so these people would not be tested & hence are not part of the raw numbers.

Unless your household has people that are in the demographic of the population who are vulnerable to this virus then why? Realistically schools will be closed at some point & isolation is going to happen. I'd say keep whatever leave you have up your sleeve for when you have to be home because either you've tested positive or the schools have closed & you need to look after the kids.

Personally i think the panic is worse than the virus itself. Yeah be concerned & take precautious measures but people are losing their minds out there. Its horrible to say that some people will die but we had 1500 people die of the flu last year with the majority of those being the elderly & we have a vaccine for that. We have gastro outbreaks in nursing homes & that kills people too.

I think maybe people are freaked out because people hear the numbers or the rate of deaths on the tv, i'm not sure. Just remember the numbers are not that accurate. You have people who have it & don't know it so these people would not be tested & hence are not part of the raw numbers.

I work for myself so I am flexible. It's going to happen isn't it? look at Italy, Spain, etc.

My whole family has asthma history, in contact with my parents and others who are over 65 and have health issues. The coronavirus not only attacks lung tissue telling it to stop oxygenating cells but it is apparently going to the brain to tell the lungs to just shut down, that's what a lot of people are dying from, total failure.

I don't trust most of what is in the media. I trust science. Going by the death rate, no vaccine, looking out for ourselves and in turn others I think if I/we can, why not get ahead of it? I'd rather be able to say "Cool, wasn't as bad as we thought" than "I wish I had used that extra week".

Expert estimates was 600,000-1,000,000 dead in the US from this. No vaccine for 12-18 months. If we get told to self isolate for 2-4 weeks, like people in other countries are wondering, will there be a second wave upon going back outside and also, what is the "all clear" signal????

Possibly yes, too much Walking Dead, World War Z stuff causing anxiety/panic,
Possibly not totally trusting all the info that is out there from clearly historically unreliable sources, but is every government overseas reacting? When was the last time MILLIONS of people were told to stay isolated and countries borders shut down like this? Never?

Please read:

Screenshot_20200315-170908.png
Screenshot_20200315-170404.jpg
Screenshot_20200315-170426.jpg
Screenshot_20200315-170441.jpg
Screenshot_20200315-170500.jpg
Screenshot_20200315-170512.jpg

And this is what they are combating in some public opinion

Screenshot_20200315-170602.jpg

id rather they played in front of empty stadiums...or is the skeleton crew to run/televise an event too many to have together?

Just to clarify is the $750 a one off payment or over months because there’s a lot of stories about it being a one off lump sum

Numbers don't do it justice, and we are slowly getting more daily heading into Winter...Not a great sign tbh especially with an incompetent PM

With regards to the NBA, god if I was Donovan Mitchell I would not even want to look or talk to gobert rn

Interesting info from the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic:

April 15, 2009
  • First human infection with new influenza A H1N1 virus detected in California.
June 11, 2009
  • The World Health Organization (WHO) declared a pandemic and raised the worldwide pandemic alert level to phase 6, which means the virus was spreading to other parts of the world.
July 22, 2009
  • Clinical trials testing the 2009 H1N1 flu vaccine began.
August 20, 2009
  • Second wave of 2009 H1N1 influenza activity began in the U.S.
October 5, 2009
  • First doses of H1N1 vaccine were given in the U.S.
Late December, 2009
  • 2009 H1N1 vaccination had been opened up to anyone who wanted it.
January, 2010
  • Activity declined to levels below baseline, but persisted for several more months at lower levels.
August 11, 2010
  • WHO announced the end of 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic.

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

Disease Burden of the H1N1pdm09 Flu Virus, 2009-2018
Since the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, the (H1N1)pdm09 flu virus has circulated seasonally in the U.S. causing significant illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths.

More

Additionally, CDC estimated that 151,700-575,400 people worldwide died from (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection during the first year the virus circulated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vaccine was in clinical trial within 3 months - would love to hear some reasoning why people were saying 12-18 months to get the coronavirus one out???

All info from here:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-pandemic-timeline.html

Science news reports that several groups started working on a vaccine for 2019-nCoV shortly after Chinese scientists shared the virus’s genetic sequence in an online public database on Jan. 10.

Three of these groups are funded by Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), a nonprofit formed in 2017 to fund vaccine development for emerging infectious diseases.

Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc. and Moderna Inc. both say they will have a vaccine ready for testing in animals in one month.

Moderna, which is working with the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, estimates that it could have a vaccine ready for a phase one clinical trial in people in three months.

Moderna and Inovio are both using a newer vaccine technology based on specific DNA or messenger RNA (mRNA) sequences of the virus. The chosen sequence codes for a viral protein, such as one on the surface of the virus.

This type of vaccine can still elicit a protective immune response in a person. But because the protein is only a small piece of the virus, it doesn’t cause illness.

Scientists using this method can also start designing a vaccine as soon as they have the virus’s genetic sequence. With other methods, they would need to work with actual virus samples in the lab.

“The nice thing about this technology is that it bypasses many of the traditional steps to vaccine discovery and development. So it’s very fast,” said Dr. Jon Andrus, adjunct professor of global vaccinology and vaccine policy at the Milken Institute School of Public Health of George Washington University.

The third group, at the University of Queensland in Australia, is aiming to have a vaccine ready for testing in people in 16 weeks. They are developing a vaccine by growing viral proteins in cell cultures.

Drugmaker Johnson and Johnson, which is not funded by CEPI, started working on a vaccine two weeks ago, according to CNBC. The company’s chief scientific officer estimates they could have a vaccine ready for market within a year.

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...ne-for-coronavirus#Faster-vaccine-development

Back
Top Bottom