Bradman 'The Final Salute' - The Statue I Never Wanted

GarnettFan4Life

Administrator
Real Name
Matt
COMC User
GarnettFan4Life
My pop loved his bowls, footy, beer and cricket. We got to make multiple trips to the Bradman Museum (as it was known, now called the International Cricket Hall of Fame) in Bowral. Beautiful place then and since has been renovated after a government grant I think, and it's crazy awesome now but it was quaint and you could feel the history. We spent hours and hours there.

Anyway, I made another trip back there with the missus and bought him a statue for his birthday one year. He LOVED it. Had it on the mantle in the lounge room where he could see it. I NEVER expected thought it would come back to me. He passed away a couple of weeks ago and had it written down that I got it. Now one of my most treasured items on Earth after losing the person I was the closest to on Earth. Just a reminder to make memories & enjoy moments I guess.

Cheers all.

20180720_235120.jpg

20180720_235107.jpg

20180720_235352.jpg

This was 2006 and what the mini one is based off obviously:
P1040061.JPG

P1040068.JPG

z1.JPG

z2.JPG

z3.JPG

That's a fantastic story and no doubt you will cherish the statue and the memories for many years to come!

Sounded a bit like my Grandfather..... he played First Grade Cricket for Glebe back in the 40's then the war got in the way. We were lucky enough to take him to a One Day game at the SCG (1992 Australia vs England World Cup game) and he had a blast before his health started to decline and was hard to get around.

As always its the great memories that always live on.

Cheers
Matt

That’s amazing Matt, how good getting to the cricket 🏏

I often offered to go to other states to sight see or attend soccer or cricket matches or even any place in the world he wanted to see before his time was up but he had been most places he wanted and was happy cruising around the local bowlo, playing bowls and snooker and eventually poker with me and my dad a few times. Great memories.

Last edited:
My grandfather was 97 when he passed away 4 years ago. I miss him every day. Loved his RL and dragons and loved his cricket too. Camped out for games at the SCG for both sports. Loved a chat and genuinely loved his sports .

Cherish the memories mate.

solid innings for the legend mate, doesn’t make the loss hurt any less when you have a great relationship with them.
my pop was a dragons fan too, were from the gong. loved being around the oldies as it was a change from the bullshit it was to talk with a lot of younger people around these days acting like twats 😂

Back
Top Bottom