Beginner looking to get back into basketball cards for fun

Warriordazza

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Daz
Hello All,

I am one of the old crowd that used to collect old cards, but drifted and wants to come back now.
About me, I have a little bit of money but not enough to buy a bunch of these new boxes.
I would like to get some cards myself for a personal mini collection and try subsidize it with selling some cards/packs.
My current knowledge is that Panini is the brand, they release different sets that look different and that prizm and optics are the big ones.
Breaks are getting a slice of the action for a fraction of the price. And you get good looking cards graded to protect and increase value and validity.

I have a tonne of questions so I'm just going to ask it here and hopefully someone can answer:
  • Do they only release say X amount of this specific kind of release? Therefore there are only X amount of Donruss Optic Hobby boxes in the world and with every box that opens my becomes more rare?
  • What is the etiquette or attitude if I was to buy 3 boxes at the start price hold it for some time and sell it for more later? I'd like to do this so that I could buy 3 sell for a bit more and have 1 box for myself to open.
  • If I get a great card that I don't want to personally dont want is Ebay the best online marketplace for it? Same goes for the box question above? Or is there a better site for Australians to sell?
  • When do they usually release NBA cards? At the start of the season?
  • Lastly I know I'm a bit past the wave. The mosaics are coming out soon, is this a popular series? (IE could I do my box idea for it?)

Either way I look forward to being involved in these forums and learning.

Thanks
Warriordazza

Welcome!

Usually Panini don't list the boxes/cases produced of products but there is limited amounts of all products for sure. A lot of maths guys watch multiple case breaks on youtube and reverse calculate the numbers of cards that come out backwards to per case, use the odds and figure out cases approx produced. I dunno, I'm not smart enough for that.

Many people like to buy boxes, open a few, maybe sell some later, whatever.

Ebay is good, most viewership obviously. Factor in the chunk ebay and paypal will take out of it now though as they are separate companies now and so you get wacked with 2 x 10% fees or whatever it is atm. Might cost you $80 to sell a $500 card or something like that. There's COMC if you want to send it overseas, but here or forums or facebook card groups are the way to go these days and avoid most of the fees if at all possible. On the facebook groups if it's a huge value card some people like to razz it, that is, give heaps of people a chance to get in on winning it by selling like 100 spots at $10 each or something like that. It may also help to move it faster than in the current climate someone wanting to spend the $1000 on it.

Panini have gone mad and release cards all year round and overlap one class with the next sometimes, it's weird. A few years the season had started and there was still 2 more releases of the prior year draft class cards coming, just insane.

I've pre-ordered Mosaic, looks cool, get into some pre-order for sure before the price goes up (likely) a few weeks after it comes out like Optic did.

Welcome!

Usually Panini don't list the boxes/cases produced of products but there is limited amounts of all products for sure. A lot of maths guys watch multiple case breaks on youtube and reverse calculate the numbers of cards that come out backwards to per case, use the odds and figure out cases approx produced. I dunno, I'm not smart enough for that.

Many people like to buy boxes, open a few, maybe sell some later, whatever.

Ebay is good, most viewership obviously. Factor in the chunk ebay and paypal will take out of it now though as they are separate companies now and so you get wacked with 2 x 10% fees or whatever it is atm. Might cost you $80 to sell a $500 card or something like that. There's COMC if you want to send it overseas, but here or forums or facebook card groups are the way to go these days and avoid most of the fees if at all possible. On the facebook groups if it's a huge value card some people like to razz it, that is, give heaps of people a chance to get in on winning it by selling like 100 spots at $10 each or something like that. It may also help to move it faster than in the current climate someone wanting to spend the $1000 on it.

Panini have gone mad and release cards all year round and overlap one class with the next sometimes, it's weird. A few years the season had started and there was still 2 more releases of the prior year draft class cards coming, just insane.

I've pre-ordered Mosaic, looks cool, get into some pre-order for sure before the price goes up (likely) a few weeks after it comes out like Optic did.
Thanks KG, I've ordered some boxes prematurely in my haste without thinking of ebay or paypal factors.
Like I said I don't really want to price gouge because that affects the hobbyist I'm selling too, I just want to make some money so that i can buy some cards of my own. I'll keep an eye out on how they do it on the forum here and hopefully I can make some sells now or later on in life.

Back
Top Bottom