Basketball Cards

trenta79

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Trent
My son is keen to start collecting basketball cards. What set should he start with? Where can we buy them?

When I was a kid there were shops everywhere and plenty to choose from

that's the million dollar question!!
Depends what he is interested in - what teams/players he follows, or do you want to try and collect a full set. Also depends what budget you're thinking
I think he would like to collect the set. Trying to keep the experience as cheap as possible at this stage. So what are your thoughts?
Thanks by the way

Last edited:
There are no cheap basketball (NBA) cards at the moment if you are looking for packs/boxes to open for him.

You can see on this forum Hoops being sold for $650 a box. Eight months ago this was a sub $200 product.

Your best bet would be to pick a set and try and build it through collecting other people’s unwanted base cards as many/most people in the hobby these days see the base cards of all but a few star players as worthless. Kids on the other hand tend to be more true collectors at heart and appreciate all cards. My nephew may like a Steph Curryslightly more than a Josh Poole but it is pretty close!

Depending what your budget is you may still struggle to complete the set as some of the star rookies will still cost you a bit.

All the best in the search.

I think you should wait until the next preorder comes out at K-Mart, Big W or EB games.

They are really affordable that way. Hopefully something before Xmas would be good..

Could also grab some cheaper packs from Cherry or ebay to get the scratch itched.

I think he would like to collect the set. Trying to keep the experience as cheap as possible at this stage. So what are your thoughts?
Thanks by the way
as others have mentioned, youve picked the absolute worst time to start. prices are ludicrous at the minute, even for the most basic product.
i can send you a bunch of base from various sets and maybe a complete set if you like (free), which would at least get you started. but buying boxes/packs right now is not a cheap prospect.
the real problem is that if you encourage their collecting now youre actually giving them a life-long addiction which will eventually have them spending thousands a year.

as others have mentioned, youve picked the absolute worst time to start. prices are ludicrous at the minute, even for the most basic product.
i can send you a bunch of base from various sets and maybe a complete set if you like (free), which would at least get you started. but buying boxes/packs right now is not a cheap prospect.
the real problem is that if you encourage their collecting now youre actually giving them a life-long addiction which will eventually have them spending thousands a year.
That's very kind of you. He'd love that. I collected cards as a kid and every second shop sold packs. There was Skybox, Upper Deck etc. Nowadays I have no idea. Hence why I asked I guess haha

Back
Top Bottom