Australia vs Italy!!! GO AUSSIES!!!

I reckon the 2 worst bits of refereeing have been Poll's 3 yellows for that croat.....and the ref who gave the wrong player a yellow card and then the bloke who got away with it got another yellow later and woulda been off!!!!
I mean that is baby stuff u don't see anywhere and yet we're seeing it at the world's biggest sporting event.

I love my rugby and we're constantly on the ref's case on that as well but rugby refs have about 100 different bloody rules to enforce. Soccer refs have about what 10? And then they can't give out cards properly?

I just wonder whether there's a few refs here trying to butter up the big wigs by sticking to the law so much they can't keep track of the cards they're handing out!!! it's disappointing cos the refs aren't up to the same standard as the players.

Hendra I'll be spraying them all over this site when they arrive!!

JZA said:
well, im ****ing gutted after last night. i cant remember a more depressing moment in oz sporting history...to get knocked out of the world cup cos of a very questionable refereeing decision with 5 ****ing seconds left in injury time is about the cruelest most unfair way to lose. the fact that Lucas Neill, who has been an absolute rock at the back, and probably our best player all tournament long, was the culprit is just a cruel joke. he would feel bloody devestated, that moment will stay with him for a long time. if only he stayed on his feet, i FIRMLY believe the match would have gone to penalties and we would have won, thus going on to meet ukraine, who we would have destroyed, to set up a semi final with germany or argentina.

a 10-0 thrashing would hav been far easier to accept, and honestly speaking, italy probably deserved to win. they kept us scoreless with 1 less man, and their shots on goal were a lot more threatening.

but for a ref to make a HUGE call like that, so deep in injury time, for a VERY questionable decision is just total bullshit. im not one for conspiracy theories, but the way the refs have treated the aussies all through the world cup is ****ing shockingly biased. the result is is not the issue, the way the match was decided was.

its especially ****ed cos of the way the whole country got behind the team, there was such hope and the knowledge we could beat any team in the world, then to just break the hearts of 20 million people like that...its just ****ed up.

well said JZA couldn't have said it better myself, i am not a big soccer fan but i tend to think that FIFA couldn't have really cared if Australia played in the world cup or not and i think that soccer would have to be one of the most corrupt sports in the world and FIFA would be very happy that Italy went through and not Australia and if ya think i am pissed cause the Aussies got robbed you would be right. But well done on the socceroos, their effort in the world cup was first class and they should be proud of themselves.:D

andrew3134 said:
well said JZA couldn't have said it better myself, i am not a big soccer fan but i tend to think that FIFA couldn't have really cared if Australia played in the world cup or not and i think that soccer would have to be one of the most corrupt sports in the world and FIFA would be very happy that Italy went through and not Australia and if ya think i am pissed cause the Aussies got robbed you would be right. But well done on the socceroos, their effort in the world cup was first class and they should be proud of themselves.:D

How can that be though? FIFA have changed Australia's hard road to qualify for future World Cups by letting them compete with the Asian's rather than playing the 5th or was it 6th placed South American team to make the World Cup.

I doubt that's a sign to say that they could careless with Australia.

Believe it or not, FIFA have also majorly responsible for the improvement for football in Africa and Asia by promoting it big time. Maybe Australia is next on their project.

However, in saying all of that, you can blame FIFA for the irresponsibility for not focussing on diving along with time wasting etc for this year's World Cup agenda.

Like I said above, you can just about write down 5 to 10 points for each participants on their unfairness experience on this year's WC. It's not only Australia who suffered from it.

Cheers~

U are right about the corruption though - there's a brand new book been released here - can't remember the name but the author's been on tv saying that the s##t is gonna hit the fan with fifa after the cup. Police have grabbed piles of documents from fifa HQ in Switzerland to do with corruption.

And lets face it, there's a pile of dodgy stuff going on in Italian football - 4 of the best teaminvolved.

I don't think the Aussies got robbed though. Just cos u keep possession doesn't mean u deserve to win. Chances were about even - it just STUNK the way the game finished - can v much understand the frustration.

ljandkg said:
U are right about the corruption though - there's a brand new book been released here - can't remember the name but the author's been on tv saying that the s##t is gonna hit the fan with fifa after the cup. Police have grabbed piles of documents from fifa HQ in Switzerland to do with corruption.

And lets face it, there's a pile of dodgy stuff going on in Italian football - 4 of the best teaminvolved.

I don't think the Aussies got robbed though. Just cos u keep possession doesn't mean u deserve to win. Chances were about even - it just STUNK the way the game finished - can v much understand the frustration.

yeh well said, i just wasn't happy how the game finished, if we had have lost the game 1-0, and they scored the goal earlier in the match then i would have accept that, but then again we should have scored a goal when they where 1 man down.

yeah, id probably retract my statement about the biased umpiring against the aussies. theres no denying we have copped some shocking calls though, which is more due to incompetant refs than some sort of bias. i firmly believe video refereeing should be standard for tournamnets as huge as the world cup...to be knocked out cos the ref fell for a dive is just wrong...it goes against what makes the world cup such an amazing sporting event.

and i agree hendra, i watched the whole holland vs portugal match and i thought the referee was justified in giving out all those cards...the fact is that match got pretty ugly in the 2nd half, nearly every challenge was aggressive and reckless by both sides. was a great match to watch though.

ill be setting the alarm for Spain vs france too, should be an absolute corker!

Well done boys you did us proud. I was very dissapointed in seeing that decision. Pretty poor, all tournament towards the Aussies.

I like wat the Aussie Assistant coach said aftwerwards, "if you dont want us to win or be in the world cup then please just tell us."

The cheesy penalty wat a joke. And that nob who scored the goal at the end Tossi or whatever his name was, he is a complete jackass!

JZA said:
yeah, id probably retract my statement about the biased umpiring against the aussies. theres no denying we have copped some shocking calls though, which is more due to incompetant refs than some sort of bias. i firmly believe video refereeing should be standard for tournamnets as huge as the world cup...to be knocked out cos the ref fell for a dive is just wrong...it goes against what makes the world cup such an amazing sporting event.

and i agree hendra, i watched the whole holland vs portugal match and i thought the referee was justified in giving out all those cards...the fact is that match got pretty ugly in the 2nd half, nearly every challenge was aggressive and reckless by both sides. was a great match to watch though.

ill be setting the alarm for Spain vs france too, should be an absolute corker!

LOL! Yeah man, I just laughed when Marco van Basten said after the game "It's a shame we couldn't get a flowing game of football in the second half" or something along that line. It's a shame for the Dutch though. I like their team very much. A good solid squad in my book and in all honesty, I bought myself a Holland jersey the day before the game. If you can imagine my situation, I couldn't decide which one to get when I was there at the shop. But I chose The Netherlands jersey because it had a collar with it so I can wear it when I go to clubs or RSL or some places that have a strict dress code. ;)

Well it looks like I'll meet you here JZA and we'll chat when Spain & France plays, that's if we can be bothered getting on the computer that is. Anyway, I've set my alarm so I can get up and watch Brazil as well.

Going to bed now..... had a nice KFC for dinner. :p

Cheers~

Magicman said:
Well done boys you did us proud. I was very dissapointed in seeing that decision. Pretty poor, all tournament towards the Aussies.

I like wat the Aussie Assistant coach said aftwerwards, "if you dont want us to win or be in the world cup then please just tell us."

The cheesy penalty wat a joke. And that nob who scored the goal at the end Tossi or whatever his name was, he is a complete jackass!

Yeah, Totti is his name. A very professional, gifted player who plays for AS Roma. I have my days where I like him and days where I don't like him. His attitude is a turn off. If anyone watches Serie A football, they'll know what I'm talking about. :p

henkita217 said:
Yeah, Totti is his name. A very professional, gifted player who plays for AS Roma. I have my days where I like him and days where I don't like him. His attitude is a turn off. If anyone watches Serie A football, they'll know what I'm talking about. :p

Definately, he's very much some you love to hate most of the time.

In regards to blaming FIFA, people don't clutching at straws. It been a shame that the tourny has been mard by such poor refing. The only game out of the 36 I have watched in full, the ENG/POR has had perfect refing.

But FIFA
can't change a call. They can only deal with the ref later, so thats not going to change the score.There was 4 massive calls in the game and the Ref got them all wrong, that pretty much sums up the whole torny.

What hurts me the most is this was the best opportunity Australia had to make Semi in maybe the next 50yrs. They probably should have scored before that (see hand ball with 30 sec left of reg. time) but Italy are one of the best defenceive sides and played perfect to the situation. (with the highest paid keeper, with good reason)

I beleive if it when to Penalties Aust would have lost, but then again we still would have had two subs over extra time. But it boils down to the fact that Australia aren't a world top 10 world class side with superstars that can score at will. Which is what we needed.!!Its a shame to think that outn of the whole squad maybe 5 will still be around in 4 yrs time. Poor Lucas Neil who has to deal with this for the rest of his life after having a super series.
Hopefully a few million a season from barcelona will ease the pain.

But overall no one could have asked for more from the boys coming in to the WC and I don't think there is one Aussie that couldn't say he wasn't proud of their performance. Well done boys.

Hopefully all the hype carries over to the A league season and the Asian cup and we can get another great coach.

Can't wait to see the Zillars go onto win and RONALDO go onto the be the alltime goal scorer. Go the Spainish as well knock off the boring French team.

See, when people say we have rules and FIFA can't change them, that gets up my nose! I mean, it looks to me like another case of the Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules... I mean, how many dives would be avoided if they DID have video replay? At the moment, players know they just have to dupe 1 set of eyes, so they think its a license to go sprawling as soon as you reach the box with a defender near you! Yeah, I've heard the argument about "soccer being a faster game, keep it flowing, etc...", but that doesn't wash with me. [-X I think they should at least do post-match reviews, and any player found to take a dive/embellish a foul, should get an automatic 2 game suspension and hefty fine! That's stop the grass-rolling...

And when you hear before the game/tournament players from star teams pleading for protection from "the big bad hackers", and FIFA says it'll police fouls hard, OF COURSE players who are only concerned with winning will dive! And the more casual fans see players get away with diving, and the smaller teams getting a rough deal, the less inclined they will be to stick with the sport. The problem there is that FIFA is set for a while just from the money these suspect teams bring in...

That was a dive. No doubt about it.

Anyone see Henry take a dive last night? Which lead to a free kick/goal?

The only way we can stamp out diving is by using video-replays.

bunch of wimps who dive! Gotta be proud of the boys.. we are genuinely one of the best sides in the world now. Lets hope we can keep up the progress when Guus leaves... DIVERS = WIMPS

It's not like the ref couldn't get a second look at each play he's suss with.
He can blow his whistle slowly walk over to the player or touch ref and check out the reply for himself and the massive 10m TV's around the ground. In the game between brasil and Ghana today the 2nd goal was offside and the ref had plenty of time to consult the touch ref a grab a quick look at the slowmo reply if he wanted.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have video refs in our game but I can't see FIFA introducting it in the near future.

samtheman said:
That was a dive. No doubt about it.

Anyone see Henry take a dive last night? Which lead to a free kick/goal?

The only way we can stamp out diving is by using video-replays.

yeah i saw that, was disapointing to see one of my fave all time players resort to that...he copped a nudge in the chest and goes down clutching his face. Thats piss weak Henry!!!:mad:

yeah i saw that, was disapointing to see one of my fave all time players resort to that...he copped a nudge in the chest and goes down clutching his face. Thats piss weak Henry!!!

I didnt expect that from a player like him too. But i guess they'll do anything to "win" the game. SAD.

samtheman said:
I didnt expect that from a player like him too. But i guess they'll do anything to "win" the game. SAD.

I too was very disappointed with that act but I was even more suprised rather than disappointed, even if he did cop an elbow on the chest from Puyol. I have to see the recording again later on tonight but even the commentator thought it was a bad foul when it was at game speed.

Anyway, I even expressed my disappointment by saying what I said to my fellow Man Utd follower at work today.

By the way, Fernando Torres, which I'm also a big fan of since he was 16, also took a dive on the penalty area.

It was actually quite a lucky touch that Xabi Alonso had a slight touch with his head to get that ball to Vieira. But nevertheless, Zidane finished it off with a superb finishing. Spain can't really complain. This situation is different to the on with Australia/Italy.

In my opinion, if video replays is going to be introduced in the future, I reckon it should only apply on anything that will determine goals, penalties or dives, nothing else, otherwise, it would have an effect on the game speed, play & concentration.

Cheers~

Agreed - would ruin the speed of the game which can be slow enough anyway....glad France won but like u fellas was v disappointed in Henry's face clutching - having said that the Spanish were shocking at it!!

lol at jimbo "From no onwards, I will never eat pasta, lasagna or pizza."

I was very disapointed when the reff gave the penalty and what a time to give the penalty! It was definetely a dive. Grosso could have jumped over Lucas but decided not to. What was Lucas meant to do???? He missed the ball so what was he meant to suddenly disapear?? Weak call by the Reff! It's a pity that every game the Aussies played in the World Cup there was a problem with the Reffs. Oh well incredibly proud of the boys!! I wasn't expecting them to advance to the last 16 teams. Hopefully they go furthur in 2010.

Heres the replay http://youtube.com/watch?v=3TGmaGPLFSU&search=australia%20vs%20italy

Im suprised and angered at all the comments about Australia and Australians from Italian supporters at the bottom of this vid. Comments like "Go home and play your footy because you suck at soccer" when we were clearly dominating the match right up until that penalty"

Back
Top Bottom