Aussie! Ozzie! Ozzy! Mailday

skip20

The (un)official PC Showdown Special Comments Guy
Real Name
Skip
Well it has been a few years since my last mailday, so I thought this may be a little overdue, and contrary to poular belief I am still alive and collecting.....

What better day to emabrk on this return to the mailday forum than on Austrlaia Day witha few of the Boomers who mae us proud by FINALLY medalling at the Olympics on a global stage.

Nothing major here but was just a good (and easy) way to get started. As it has been a while, so I'm not even sure whether I've actually posted these before or not, so bare with me.

Cameron Bairstow - has donned the green and gold in the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympics whuch was one of the infamous fourth place finishes playing with other bigs like Andrew Bogut, Aron Baynes, David Andersen and Brock Motum,

SCN_2054.jpg

Thon Maker - was heavily recruited by Basketball Canada before deciding to represent Australia in the FIBA World Cup Qualifers, an event he would later became famous for in the qualification rounds against the Phillipines and 'that jump kick'. Apparently withdrew from the 2020 Boomers squad, the team could have used a mobile big man who can run the floor and protect the rim a bit imo.

SCN_2057.jpg

SCN_2059.jpg

SCN_2058.jpg

Ryan Broekhoff - one of the last cuts before the 2012 London Olympics before earning his stripes at the 2014 World Cup, 2016 Olmpics and notably basked out of the 2020 Olympics citing mental health issues. Currently with the SE Melbourne Magic and for a once elite sniper, doesn't seem to be shooting the pill too well. that well. Hoping this mild mannered Clark Kent type can bring it all the way back!

SCN_2060.jpg

Dante Exum - end of the bench guy at the 2014 FIBA World Cup and made his Olympic debut in Tokyo. Love the way this guy gets in the lane and attacks the rim with reckless abandon but really needs to get that 3 ball under his belt and limit those TOs....

SCN_2055.jpg

SCN_2056.jpg

SCN_1946.jpg

Matthew Dellavedova - a long lived Boomer who has seen action at the last 2 World Cups and 3 Olympics. Love the hustle, but his jumpshot makes me wince. I dare say he might have played his last major tournament in national colours because he certainly has showed he's lost a step or two, but the true grit he displays on the court is synonymous with Boomers basketball. Just had a monster game in the NBL so good to see him back and helping develop Australia's next generation of talent.

SCN_0373.jpg

SCN_0374.jpg

SCN_0377.jpg

SCN_1986.jpg

SCN_1984.jpg

SCN_1983.jpg

SCN_1982.jpg

SCN_1981.jpg

SCN_1980.jpg

SCN_1978.jpg

SCN_1979.jpg

Joe Ingles - Jingles has been playing Olympic ball since 2008 and still remmeber seeing him as a youngster with the South Dragons in the NBL in a point forward role. Has an incredible feel for the game and somewhat ironically, back in the day was renowned for having no outside shot.... Also knwon to hang around at local basketball games when he's back home and by all accounts is a fairly chillaxed sort of dude.

...and this legendary tweet "Let's be real ... I've got a receding hairline, I'm slow and I'm probably not the most jacked up with abs and all that, but I'm still going to beat you one-on-one. Settle down."

SCN_0615.jpg

Patty Mills - the heart and soul of the Boomers, been representing since the Beijing Olympics and even turns up for events liek the FIBA Oceania Championships (can't risk losing to NZ). the way he steps it up in international competition never ceases to amazem esepcially as an undersized guard. No Patty, no Bronze.

SCN_1897.jpg

Andrew Bogut - played in the 04, 08 and 16 Olympics (was injured for 2012) so whether you love him ro hate him, at least he was there for the Boomers when he was at his prime. Unfortunate to not have a Bronze medal too but at least the torch has been passed and giving some time for the young bigs to shine like Jock Landale.

SCN_0141.jpg

SCN_0180.jpg

SCN_0201.jpg

SCN_0268.jpg

SCN_0280.jpg

SCN_0292.jpg

SCN_1435.jpg

SCN_1405.jpg

SCN_1423.jpg

Ben Simmons - cut from the 2014 World Cup team, but announced his intention to play at the 2016 Olympics, 2019 World Cup and 2020 Olympics before backing out each time. Love him or hate him, you can;t help but wonder how a 6'9' all-defensive calibre athlete could have boosted Boomer medal prospects by being able to check the Durants and Tatums of the world.

SCN_2090.jpg

SCN_2061.jpg

SCN_1977.jpg

SCN_1857.jpg

I won't end the Australia Day mailday with a slight downer so I'll finish with one truly Aussie card which we can all get behind! Fly that flag people, hope your BBQs, backyard cricket and time at the beach make for a good day off! ..and yes, hopefully some Thybulle and Josh Green on its way - future loks bright fr the green and gold!

SCN_1871.jpg

SCN_1404.jpg

Last edited:
Great mix of stuff there mate!

Hating Delly at the moment cause he absolutely had a career shooting performance against my Hawks last week - bloody 8/10 3's or something insane.

Have you listened to Bogut's podcast? Really good - Rogue Bogues. If you haven't heard of it, he covers a lot of latest news and has some great discussion with a NBA trainer/player development guy from the Mavs and a few other places, then he has a My Journey series where he goes into what happened in his career, what his though process was, things that happened, convos with the Warriors players etc. Really interesting.

Damn thats a lot of Australia...

Good to see a Skip style mailday with some great commentary and huge variety of cards.

Sensational mail day!

Cheers Matt, pretty low endish overall but sharing is caring! hah hah

Great mix of stuff there mate!

Hating Delly at the moment cause he absolutely had a career shooting performance against my Hawks last week - bloody 8/10 3's or something insane.

Have you listened to Bogut's podcast? Really good - Rogue Bogues. If you haven't heard of it, he covers a lot of latest news and has some great discussion with a NBA trainer/player development guy from the Mavs and a few other places, then he has a My Journey series where he goes into what happened in his career, what his though process was, things that happened, convos with the Warriors players etc. Really interesting.

Bogust does say some fairly controversial stuff, will have to have a listen to it at some point, Aussie perspective would make all the difference in soem respects!

Damn thats a lot of Australia...

Good to see a Skip style mailday with some great commentary and huge variety of cards.

...a lot of Australia froma Kiwi perspective perhaps! I should have thrown in a Steven Adams, Kirk Penney or Sean Marks to make you feel more included!

Is Giddey next?

I have a bunch of lower tier Josh Green incoming, wasn;t really a fan of Giddy pre-draft as he kind of lacks a position, couldn't see who he woud guard and has a fairly major hitch in his shot - but just goes to show what I know - which is basically bugger all! lol I compare him to a young Joe Ingles, good feel for the game. Will wait for the hype train to die down a bit before jumping on board. I also have to prioritise some Thybulle - love his defensive tenacity!

Ripper of a mailday mate ... Strewwwwwwwwth!

Bloody oath! It was totally bonzer! You might say it was a real 'highlight flm'!

Awesome mailday skip. Great to see the aussie love here! I just shot you a PM too.

Cheers mate, bit of randomness - but every Aussie was backing the Boomers in Tokyo, were legit gold medal prospects, hopefully soon!

I should double check first, you're not a Kiwi are you, pretty sure I've sent some Amnus down that way before... :-P

Back
Top Bottom