Any Jordan RC experts around?

Ryanm2117

Charles Oakley
Real Name
Ryan
eBay User
ryanm2117
Hi all, what do people reckon with this Jordan RC?
A bloke I know got it in a collection he purchased and asked me what I thought.
I have read the guides and compared to my Oakley fleer 86 and I am leaning towards reprint but I wanted to see what people thought.

Cheers

export1597024152778.jpg

export1597024185350.jpg

export1597024158915.jpg

Not an expert on reprint vs real but the borders seem a bit narrow front and back for the release? Is it a standard size card?

if it's real it looks trimmed...and trimmed badly at that

I don't like the look of it though based off those pics. The colours on the border look too good on it and it just looks off on every pic the more I look at it.

Im no expert either but as everyone else has said it looks severely trimmed. My personal thoughts are is if its not slabbed its most likely not legit.

I’d be calling it a fake. But it would be a bizarre coincidence if it’s not. As the photos you posted are card number #57 and the card in that article...is also...

Is not the biggest giveaway that the blue around is name is too dark? It is normally lighter/paler than the blue in the border.

Or at least that is the case for the ones I have and I doubt all mine are fake unless I am under valuing the market for Rodney McRae and Lewis Lloyd cards!

Is not the biggest giveaway that the blue around is name is too dark? It is normally lighter/paler than the blue in the border.

Or at least that is the case for the ones I have and I doubt all mine are fake unless I am under valuing the market for Rodney McRae and Lewis Lloyd cards!

Yeah I noticed that on my graded Charles Oakley, too many red flags to be real. Thank

Has Jordan a Rookie card in 1984 when he pick 3? Why two years later he has a rookie card in 86? Just curious.

Jordan has cards in earlier Star sets. However, the are not generally considered his RC as they were distributed in team sets and I believe regionally so they do not meet the generally accepted description of a RC. They are usually referred to as XRC - extended rookie cards.

I did a more complete post in response to a similar question a couple of weeks ago but posting this from the IPad so not sure how to find and copy the link sorry.

Jordan has cards in earlier Star sets. However, the are not generally considered his RC as they were distributed in team sets and I believe regionally so they do not meet the generally accepted description of a RC. They are usually referred to as XRC - extended rookie cards.

I did a more complete post in response to a similar question a couple of weeks ago but posting this from the IPad so not sure how to find and copy the link sorry.
All good, sounds great cheers

Do you know why not? Is it all companies or one in particular?
I believe it is because they are too easy to counterfeit and there are too many fakes out there. PSA has never graded them and I believe beckett no longer will grade them. Such a shame as I believe the Star Jordan rookie is truly a beautiful card and is soo much rarer than the Fleer 86.

I believe it is because they are too easy to counterfeit and there are too many fakes out there. PSA has never graded them and I believe beckett no longer will grade them. Such a shame as I believe the Star Jordan rookie is truly a beautiful card and is soo much rarer than the Fleer 86.

Cool. Figured that was the case. But, isn't it more so the reprints are harder to tell from originals? Ie the original Star owner was using the original plates to reprint the cards at a later date but dating them as being from their original years (that's a lot of originals...). Most counterfeits are somewhat easier to determine at least I would expect for professionals.

So, here's my gripe with grading. The only value I see in it is in determining if a card is legitimate ( I don't give a shit about a 9.5 or 10 grade or whatever — I have eyes I can see what condition a card is in). But, if companies are saying they are too incompetent to pick these up then why pay money to them? There are (slight) differences between the reprints and originals (as well as obviously the counterfeits) as my understanding is the reprints were done on a completely different brand/model/type of printing machine. This is the type of thing I would expect a professional grading company to be able to determine not shy away from.

Cool. Figured that was the case. But, isn't it more so the reprints are harder to tell from originals? Ie the original Star owner was using the original plates to reprint the cards at a later date but dating them as being from their original years (that's a lot of originals...). Most counterfeits are somewhat easier to determine at least I would expect for professionals.

So, here's my gripe with grading. The only value I see in it is in determining if a card is legitimate ( I don't give a s*** about a 9.5 or 10 grade or whatever — I have eyes I can see what condition a card is in). But, if companies are saying they are too incompetent to pick these up then why pay money to them? There are (slight) differences between the reprints and originals (as well as obviously the counterfeits) as my understanding is the reprints were done on a completely different brand/model/type of printing machine. This is the type of thing I would expect a professional grading company to be able to determine not shy away from.
In terms of grading, i agree with you there. Most of my collection just sit in top loaders I couldn't give a crap what some dude in an office thinks my card should rate out of 10. I would only use the companies to ensure my card is original and not a reprint/fake.
In saying that, I have heard horror stories of beckett/psa grading altered and trimmed cards without their 'experts' being able to pick up on it. Go figure... just collect what you like and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom