All-Time Test Cricket Draft Game?

Scotty_WCE

West Coast card collector!
Real Name
Scott
eBay User
scotty_wce
Hi fellow cricket lovers,

Has anyone seen this thread over on the basketball board? https://www.ozcardtrader.com.au/threads/official-all-time-basketball-draft-thread-2-running.212204/

The basic idea is that you take turns selecting players in a draft format to make up an ultimate team of past and present greats. Then a winner is declared by some method - I think teams "play" simulated games against each other in that basketball draft.

Anyway, now that the Australian international season has hit a bit of a lull would anyone be interested in participating in a Test cricket version of a game like this? I'd say if we got around 6-10 people playing it would be good fun! Not exactly sure about how we'd work out a winner but I'm sure we could work something out. Let me know what you think and if you'd be keen :thumbsup:

So just a more detailed explanation of how this game would work, to see if anyone else would be interested.

Every Test player of all-time goes into the pool of players who can be "drafted" at the start of the game. We have a randomly generated draft order and take turns picking players with the goal to pick the strongest team possible, as if they were going to play in a Test match. So you'd have a traditional team structure of six batsmen, a 'keeper and four bowlers or something like that. Once a player has been selected they are out of the pool - each player can only be in one team, and teams are completely distinct from one another. And then once everyone has had eleven picks the strongest team can be determined using some method.

I'm really keen to try something like this if enough people are interested - we probably need six people. Anyone keen?

I'm in mate! Fantastic concept. Come one ladies and gentlemen, let's get cracking!

(Footnote: most of my selections will be players who played pre-1990's because things were better in my day!! :))

Gramp.png

If anyone else was keen I'm sure they would have spoken up by now so let's get started!

To work out the draft order could one person please put the following list of usernames into this list randomiser and PM me what you get: https://www.random.org/lists/

Edit: both lists done

BLOWN8
Keatoboy
Matty76
mounteverset
Scotty_WCE
Wookiedragon

And a second person apply the same process to the following list of numbers and PM me the result:

And I'll join the two lists together to get the draft order!

Last edited:
Thanks @BLOWN8, numbers received. I'm about to go out so I'll put the lists together and reveal the draft order when I get home early this afternoon. In the meantime, quick straw poll: does anyone have a preference for a normal draft order versus a snake draft order?

Normal draft order is ABCDEF ABCDEF etc.
Snake draft order is ABCDEF FEDCBA ABCDEF FEDCBA etc.

Normal order is less even but no long waits between turns for players A and F especially. Snake order is more even but a couple of players will be waiting a while between turns, before they get to pick two players each "turn".

Any thoughts one way or the other?

Snake is probably fairer so that gets my vote. But happy either way.
Yeah, snake would definitely be fairer. If people are potentially willing to have to wait a bit longer between turns (based on where they are in the draft) then snake would be the way to go. Anyone else got other thoughts either way?

:lol:

Looking forward to Round 13 when the Hawks take on the Crows - hopefully there's some fireworks in the lead-up between you two :p

Let's go with the snake - that's definitely the fairest way. I'll make a new thread now for the start of the draft :)

Back
Top Bottom