93-09 Cricket Card Price Guide!

Great Dan......one request though, could you include the 1996 Futera Heritage Collection in your write up?

It would be my pleasure Daniel son!

1996 Heritage set - 60 cards

Released in 1996, this is without a doubt the most impressive card set ever made in Australia, and, in all honesty, perhaps worldwide. It was the brainchild of a man called Swan Richards, who was the head honcho of an organisation called The Crusaders, which are basically a cricketing past players organisation (old boys' club!), and was probably the only way that all of the cards could have been organised for signing such are their contacts. This was referred to as "Series 1", and consists of the oldest living Test cricketers at the time of production. There was an intention for a series 2 and series 3, however with the demise of Futera this (very sadly) never eventuated.

The set was limited to 500 sets, and consists of 60 cards, 58 of which are personally signed. Leo O'Brien was initially intended to be the #1 card, however he was gravely ill and passed away prior to completion and signing, therefore a header card was substituted for card #1. The other unsigned card is #11, Keith Miller, who was either unable or unwilling to sign.

Cards are on double thickness stock (960gsm board) and were all sent out to the players in the set for signing and subsequently returned to Futera. A good family friend of ours is Rex Sellers (card #56), and I personally saw the pile of cards at his house for signing back in late 1995.

The sets of 500 were released in 3 different forms - sets 1-50 came in a wooden box, some came fully framed and the remainder came in a green folder with "The Heritage Collection" stamped in gold on the front (as per the set I am selling). Each set is individually numbered on the back of each card.

There are a further 200 sets that are stamped "Player" / 500 on the back, 60 of which were given to each of the players who appeared in Series 1. I assume the rest went to the players who were intended to appear in series 2
and series 3 - I know Rex Sellers was going to get a set of series 2 and 3 for having signed in series 1. In the "Player" signed sets Leo O'Brien still appears as card #1, not the Header card as with the set numbered of 500.

There were also 100 promotional cards of all 60, which were unsigned and stamped on the back "PROMOTIONAL CARD ONLY" in bold black font. It is reported in the Futera File that only 48 full promotional sets exist.

By my calculations, of the 59 players featuring in Series 1, 19 have sinced passed away - Don Bradman, Bill Brown, Ern Toshack, Fred Freer, Geff Noblet, Jack Moroney, Ian Johnson, Doug Ring, Keith Miller, George Tribe, Ray Lindwall, Bill Johnston, Ken Meuleman, George Thoms, Jimmy De Courcy, Peter Burge, Ron Archer, Norman O'Neill and Neil Hawke.

At their release in 1996 this set was retailing for $1250, so it is hard to understand why the market has softened so much since then and sets seem to sell for around the $750-$800 mark, as this equates out to only around $13 a card!! I feel though that in the next 10 years it will double or triple in value, as there is nothing in the marketplace to match both the quality of production and the quality of players in this set - and, inevitably, more and more will be deceased as time goes by. 12 Invincibles alone in a signed card set is unprecedented and can never be repeated, and of course Bradman is the standout flagship of the series. It includes other past greats and well known media names such as Richie Benaud, Bill Lawry, Alan Davidson, Bob Simpson and Keith Stackpole to name but a few.

With the money being asked/expected these days for players to contribute to signing sessions (no money changed hands in the making of this set, players received a signed set in lieu of payment) it is difficult if not impossible to see anything like this being done in the future.

N.B. I should also mention that a large number of these sets have been broken up and sold, with the Bradman card routinely commanding around $300 on its own, so clearly there are far far less than 500 full sets remaining in the marketplace. I also have a handful of unsigned cards that are in fact numbered of 500, so it would appear there were not 500 full sets completed and compiled back in 1996.

Here you go Richo:

1997 Sir Donald Bradman 4 card set

This 4 card set sold out within 7 days of release in April 1997. Thee are 500 sets, each containing the 4 cards of Don Bradman. Sir Don signed 50 of each card, and the autograph cards are all numbered 1-50. Each folder is individually numbered /500, and all the Bradman cards are individually numbered on the back, however each set contains cards with random numbers, and the autograph cards were randomly inserted into the 500 sets. The autographed cards also come with a gold stamp on the front of the card that reads "Limited Edition Authentic Autograph".

This means that of the 500 sets, 200 of them contain 1 autograph card, and 300 sets come with all 4 cards unsigned. There are also 10 sets in existence (the first 10 sets) with all 4 cards autographed, and only these 10 sets have all matching numbered cards (#1-10) which also match the number of the folder (#1-10).

Generally the sets without an autograph sell for around $150-200 and the sets with 1 autograph usually sell for around $400-450. The sets with all 4 autos sells for around $2000, however almost all of the 10 are now locked away in collections never to see the light of day.

N.B. There are also 60 Bradman cards (30 of which were signed) which were stamped "PROMOTIONAL CARD ONLY", and a further 100 (50 signed) which were stamped "Sample" /500 which were given away to dealers and promotional events - this is described in more detail in the Futera File. I have one of the Promotional signed cards, here is a pic:

1996 Bradman p72.jpg

Hey i know someone who has all four and wanted $2000 for it. Is it well worth it?

Great work on this Dan, only just found it and thoroughly enjoyed the read.
Is there any details on the the albums that have been released.
As far as i know the ones i have are:
Futera 94
Futera world cup 96
Futera decider 96
Select 97-98
Select 98-99
Esp 2002-03 (comes with the set)
Select 2007-08
Select 2008-09
Select 2009-10
any others i have missed out on?
does anyone know the production run on the albums?

TOPDRAW CRICKET CARDS 1998
on another note i will just mention that in 1998-99 topdraw in the uk released a limited edition series of 40 cricket cards. these were released boxed and featured a world cup series of players (19 in total) from the major countries as well as a subset of one day masters (10 in total). there was a released run of 1000.
There was a limited edition centrepiece card, that featured all of the one day masters players, this was limited to 200. There is also a Nasser Hussain signature redemption card that was released in 100 of the boxes, this was sent into topdraw marketing to be redeemed and comes with a gold foil stamp (i do have number 48 this card and will post a photo if wanted, but my cards are stored at my parents place and the county is under heavy snow so cant get access to it easily for the moment)

the players featured are as follows:
ODW1 SACHIN TENDULKAR , ODW2 MO AZHARUDDIN, ODW3 BRIAN LARA, ODW4 CARL HOOPER, ODW5 SHAUN POLLOCK, ODW6 ALLAN DONALD, ODW7 JAQUES KALLIS, ODW8 CHRIS CAIRNS, ODW9 DARREN GOUGH, ODW10 ALEC STEWART, ODW11 GRAEME HICK, ODW 12 MARK WAUGH, ODW13 SHANE WARNE, ODW14 MICHAEL BEVAN, ODW15 STEVE WAUGH, ODW16 ARRIVINDA DE SILVA, ODW17 AJUNA RANATUNGA, ODW18 SANATH JAYASURIYA, ODW19 WASIM AKRAM,
ONE DAY MASTERS ODM 1 GRAHAM GOOCH, ODM2 IAN BOTHAM, ODM3 ALLAN BORDER, ODM4 MARTIN CROWE, ODM5 RICHARD HADLEE, ODM6 KAPIL DEV, ODM7 CLIVE LLOYD, ODM8 VIV RICHARDS, ODM9 JAVED MIANDAD, ODM10 IMRAN KHAN.
There is also a header card

i have added a photo of a mark waugh one day wonders card that i have spare for people to see what the cards look like. these were by far the best quality release in recent memory from an english company.

Nice Cards Alex! I know Cardzone has albums for sale i know the 93 was a futera generic album that came with Surfing Basket ball rugby and cricket stickers for the spine of the album. And there is the esp 2004/5 set Im Sure Hodgey can help you with that!
Enjoy the Snow!! We are about to have the opposite, 4 days above 35 deg C!
cheers

---------- Post added 08-01-2010 at 07:54 AM ----------

Dan - How about an update now the 2009/10 Series has come out?
This page is worth bottling!

Good idea Richo, I Will start another thread !

TOPDRAW CRICKET CARDS 1998
on another note i will just mention that in 1998-99 topdraw in the uk released a limited edition series of 40 cricket cards. these were released boxed and featured a world cup series of players (19 in total) from the major countries as well as a subset of one day masters (10 in total). there was a released run of 1000.
There was a limited edition centrepiece card, that featured all of the one day masters players, this was limited to 200. There is also a Nasser Hussain signature redemption card that was released in 100 of the boxes, this was sent into topdraw marketing to be redeemed and comes with a gold foil stamp (i do have number 48 this card and will post a photo if wanted, but my cards are stored at my parents place and the county is under heavy snow so cant get access to it easily for the moment)QUOTE]

Would love to see some when you have thawed out mate!

no probs Dan
will post a few photos online when i can
got down to minus 22 last night!!! colder than the south pole apparently! not got above freezing for about a week now and more snow coming tonight. very envious of your heat, if you can send some this way please.

on another note there were also the 2 sets from new zealand in the mid-late 90's. the one from card crazy and the one from topps. there was the very rare martin crowe card with the card crazy set. i think there were only 50 cards in the signature redemption.

Great card Alex, thanks for posting the pic - no snowflake damage to the card either!! I imagine they are extremely card to find now.....what year was it released??

The 1996 NZ High Velocity Martin Crowe card was definitely limited to only 50 cards, however it was not a signature card - just a special gold stamped card. The other 1995 Topps NZ set also had redemption cards but again none were signature cards.

I have a promo card (like the Futera 1996 world cup promo card) for the New Zealand cricket release by Futera.
Similar to the Australian release, the NZ release has:
* Puzzle Card (csh priz)
* World Cup Retrospective
* Martin Crowe Career Highlights
* Time Warp &

*ULTRA GOLD REDEMPTION CARD OF SIR RICHARD HADLEE (1:2160 PKTS/ 50 CARDS ONLY)

ANYONE EVER SEEN OR CAN EVEN GET THAT CARD?????

Great card Alex, thanks for posting the pic - no snowflake damage to the card either!! I imagine they are extremely card to find now.....what year was it released??

The 1996 NZ High Velocity Martin Crowe card was definitely limited to only 50 cards, however it was not a signature card - just a special gold stamped card. The other 1995 Topps NZ set also had redemption cards but again none were signature cards.

hi brad
if memory serves me right it was 1999 for the topdraw set, but the cards dont have a year on the back! got back above freezing now, just loads of rain and local flooding!
yes the topps nz set released a masters set of cards of 12 cards that were limited to 200-1000 depending on the player. the 12 were Richard Hadlee, Glenn Turner, Martin Donnelly, Bruce Taylor, Andrew Jones, John Wright, Martin Crowe, Bevan Cogdon, Jack Cowie, John Reid, Bert Sutcliffe, Stewie Dempster. can post pictures of these if needed.
anyone got a picture of the crowe gold card? would love to see one

---------- Post added 22-01-2010 at 09:28 AM ----------

I have a promo card (like the Futera 1996 world cup promo card) for the New Zealand cricket release by Futera.
Similar to the Australian release, the NZ release has:
* Puzzle Card (csh priz)
* World Cup Retrospective
* Martin Crowe Career Highlights
* Time Warp &

*ULTRA GOLD REDEMPTION CARD OF SIR RICHARD HADLEE (1:2160 PKTS/ 50 CARDS ONLY)

ANYONE EVER SEEN OR CAN EVEN GET THAT CARD?????

hi Boondash, as far as i know this set never made it off production. the only card was the pomo double card.

Back
Top Bottom