#6 picks are cursed

Billyhoyle said:
Neither Dirk or Amare were bought in to be shot blocking rebounders. Bryant Reeves was/is a massive man who was bought in to be the next Shaq/Hakeem/Longley a shot blocking rebounding centre. not a scoring rebounding power forward.

Bryant reeves (Who i'm sure you've never seen play!) was both bigger in height and much bigger in weight than both players you compared him to. Reeves was an imposing physical presence on the court and was primed to become a dominant center in the NBA. After a strong collegiate career with Oklahoma State University, where he averaged 21.5 points per game in his senior year, Reeves became the Grizzlies' first ever draft choice, selected sixth overall in the 1995 NBA Draft.

Remembering that the 2 you compared him to potentially could become superstars - he averaged almost 2 less rebs per game, roughly 8 points per game and couldn't even manage 1 block per game, even Luc Longely could do that!

Dude chillax! I already said that i wasn't comparing, I was just saying that guys like Amare and Dirk never did amazing rebounding/shot-blocking feats for their respective heights.

I think that is a fair call for me because you didn't mention all the info about him being brought in specifically to be a "dominant centre rebounding/shot-blocking etc". I was only quoting you from when you said he didn't do much for his size and I was pointing to the fact that Dirk and Amare are both near 7 footers but haven't averaged double double's.

Obviously you have proved me wrong in some aspects :p - but half the stuff you talk about above I wasn't even talking or mentioning. Irrelevant to me.

I never said that Amare and Dirk were brought in to be shot-blockers or rebounders or anything like that. I just said the same thing that you said. That despite their humongous size they haven't made an impact that they're capable of making with their size in rebounding and shot-blocking.

Just found this post again

Roy has been ok (PPG 14.7 | APG 3 | 3P% .306) but has only played in 22 games, so he's missed 20 games. He had a career high 28 yesterday

I think he'll break this #6 "curse" he's got real star potential and he's already showing it in his first season. If he doesn't get injured his stats will jump to 17-18 ppg by the conclusion of the season.

I've always found number 2 picks to be pretty damn average. Sam Bowie has to be the worst number 2 pick of all time. Darko, Jay Williams (Obviously that injury has killed his career), Tyson Chandler, Stromile Swift, Shawn Bradley, Danny Ferry (Played overseas for a while before starting his NBA career i think :confused: ). I would have added Camby to that list until a couple of seasons ago as he has been so injury riddled. He's been huge the last few seasons though.

Number 13's have some pretty damn good ones considering how low down they are. Mailman, Kobe, Maggette, Jefferson, and you could perhaps add Sean May to that list in a few seasons who knows.

I've always found number 2 picks to be pretty damn average. Sam Bowie has to be the worst number 2 pick of all time. Darko, Jay Williams (Obviously that injury has killed his career), Tyson Chandler, Stromile Swift, Shawn Bradley, Danny Ferry (Played overseas for a while before starting his NBA career i think :confused: ). I would have added Camby to that list until a couple of seasons ago as he has been so injury riddled. He's been huge the last few seasons though.

Number 13's have some pretty damn good ones considering how low down they are. Mailman, Kobe, Maggette, Jefferson, and you could perhaps add Sean May to that list in a few seasons who knows.

#2's have been ok!

Gary Payton, Alonzo Mourning, Emeka Okafor!!

time to drag this thread up again.......

2007 #6 - Milwaukee Bucks Yi Jianlian, Forward, China

Has had an OK rookie season I wonder what the future will hold for him though

and since the original list only went till 2003 -

Martell webster - close to bust
Josh Childress - mediocre, not a superstar
Brandon ROY - possible superstar (however I still believe this pick was cursed as it was not Portland's pick it was Minnesota - who traded it away and missed out on having the superstar)

time to drag this thread up again.......

2007 #6 - Milwaukee Bucks Yi Jianlian, Forward, China

Has had an OK rookie season I wonder what the future will hold for him though

he wont be a wang zhizhi, i reckon hes got a future, decent rookie season on a garbage team where he wouldnt know what the hell his role was, but still got some decent numbers.

I know what you mean with Roy but one day there will be a team that will pick the 6th pick and they will build around that person ;) that day will come Billyhoyle.

I know what you mean with Roy but one day there will be a team that will pick the 6th pick and they will build around that person ;) that day will come Billyhoyle.

Just amazing that #6 has not (according to the author) produced a superstar in so many years from 84-2003. Even picks 10-14 have produced 4 superstars.

I would have thought Kaman, Walker and Gugliota were people you can build your team around.. just that if there is a curse, it's not for lack of talent but just shear bad luck. Kaman was playing really well and then got injured. Walker was in the same boat as Paul Pierce but then he didn't exactly get KG and Ray Allen during his time and Tom G. was replaced by KG and was caught in a time where big men were supposed to be aggressive inside as supposed to his game which is inside-out like Dirk or the taller kids now in Melo and KD

I would have thought Kaman, Walker and Gugliota were people you can build your team around.. just that if there is a curse, it's not for lack of talent but just shear bad luck. Kaman was playing really well and then got injured. Walker was in the same boat as Paul Pierce but then he didn't exactly get KG and Ray Allen during his time and Tom G. was replaced by KG and was caught in a time where big men were supposed to be aggressive inside as supposed to his game which is inside-out like Dirk or the taller kids now in Melo and KD

Although Walker was a head case I think it would be unfair to see that Antoine was not a superstar in his own right for a good half-decade when he was leading the Celts with the Truth.

yeah that's what i was saying... antoine walker was an allstar for a crappy team.. so the curse of #6 isn't based on lack of talent, just really bad luck..

Back
Top Bottom