2020 Elite NRL - UPDATED Checklist Page 41

Any idea of a ballpark figure what they charge to sign 120 cards ?
I understand nothing is for free any more but how long would it take for someone to sign 120 times 10 -20 minutes?
If I had made millions from throwing a football around or were breaking into grade footy and someone wanted to make a card I could keep for my kids ,I’d happily sign them for free ?
If TLA ever make plumber cards hit me up .

I'll give you an example of a signing that I was aware of that was proposed for a well known Australian Sports Person.

They were asked to be available for 3 hours to film some clips of them demonstrating their skills and to sign approximately 300 cards.

This person was making $8 million per year with salary and endorsements.

The response was they would rather than spend 3 hours on their day off at home with their family than earning less than $5K to do this work. If it were $20K for 3 hours work..... sure they would do it, but for less than $5K? Not worth their time given they are on the road a lot.

One Australian Sports Person (a well known Cricketer) who I was already a huge fan of and I am now even a bigger fan of, did a signing and asked for his signing fee to be split between 2 past legends of the game to help them out. They hadn't earned anywhere near what he had playing the game so it was his way of giving back to the game.

One company I worked at had a very well known Swimming Olympic Gold Medalist turn up for the day to meet with staff take photos etc.

He got paid $10K for a few hours work.

Another company I know of had a well known Australian Country Musician play for them for an hour - he got paid close to $40K.

With signing cards etc, manufacturers work closely with the managers of these players and most get a similar fee..... younger players less, stars more.

It's likely (i'm guessing here) that TLA said to BS, we will pay you a flat fee for signing and appearing on the cards (he is not on the NRL books anymore as a contracted player) so the cost of him signing/appearing was probably less than getting 16 Young Guns players signing.

Easier in terms of logistics too.... 1 player signing versus setting up signings for 16, especially with COVID in play.

Other players also have a very high regard of their standing in the game and charge huge amounts to sign...... keeping their auto valuable and also meaning that they wont have to sign often..... and if they do sign they get paid handsomely.....see Glory NRL and one specific signer there.

Cheers
Matt

I'll give you an example of a signing that I was aware of that was proposed for a well known Australian Sports Person.

They were asked to be available for 3 hours to film some clips of them demonstrating their skills and to sign approximately 300 cards.

This person was making $8 million per year with salary and endorsements.

The response was they would rather than spend 3 hours on their day off at home with their family than earning less than $5K to do this work. If it were $20K for 3 hours work..... sure they would do it, but for less than $5K? Not worth their time given they are on the road a lot.

One Australian Sports Person (a well known Cricketer) who I was already a huge fan of and I am now even a bigger fan of, did a signing and asked for his signing fee to be split between 2 past legends of the game to help them out. They hadn't earned anywhere near what he had playing the game so it was his way of giving back to the game.

One company I worked at had a very well known Swimming Olympic Gold Medalist turn up for the day to meet with staff take photos etc.

He got paid $10K for a few hours work.

Another company I know of had a well known Australian Country Musician play for them for an hour - he got paid close to $40K.

With signing cards etc, manufacturers work closely with the managers of these players and most get a similar fee..... younger players less, stars more.

It's likely (i'm guessing here) that TLA said to BS, we will pay you a flat fee for signing and appearing on the cards (he is not on the NRL books anymore as a contracted player) so the cost of him signing/appearing was probably less than getting 16 Young Guns players signing.

Easier in terms of logistics too.... 1 player signing versus setting up signings for 16, especially with COVID in play.

Other players also have a very high regard of their standing in the game and charge huge amounts to sign...... keeping their auto valuable and also meaning that they wont have to sign often..... and if they do sign they get paid handsomely.....see Glory NRL and one specific signer there.

Cheers
Matt
Great insight. Thanxs heaps for this explanation Matt. Much appreciated.
I didn’t realise some players change these insane amounts and forget it’s the poor person that supports and loves the sport that pays their wage

I didn’t realise some players change these insane amounts and forget it’s the poor person that supports and loves the sport that pays their wage
Yeah it’s a case of short memory’s

I know of one sport recently where a player who collects cards traded one of his match worn jerseys (not NRL) for a case of a product.

That jersey card will be released in a high end product likely next year where he will have signed the cards.

There are some players who love being on the cards and signing them, and some who do not care about them at all as long as they are getting paid.

Cheers
Matt

Lockyer? I remember Select having a a go at me for wanting to return a damaged autograph card sent by them, their response 'do you know how much he charges?"

Side note, a certain Storm player is really into collecting NBA cards....... seems like a few NRL players are.

I know of one sport recently where a player who collects cards traded one of his match worn jerseys (not NRL) for a case of a product.

That jersey card will be released in a high end product likely next year where he will have signed the cards.

There are some players who love being on the cards and signing them, and some who do not care about them at all as long as they are getting paid.
Someone from Supremacy 2 AFL if its Australian. The nerve some of the players have. But then again, look at the Lockyer Dynasty Sig which sold to days ago. Number 002 sold for $800. So they probably think well why not if some else profits of it.

Lets hope for some good decent Elite Sigs. Now makes sense which how and why they do what they do. Lets hope the sticker autos don't creep in to keep costs down :/

Lockyer? I remember Select having a a go at me for wanting to return a damaged autograph card sent by them, their response 'do you know how much he charges?"

Side note, a certain Storm player is really into collecting NBA cards....... seems like a few NRL players are.

Quite a few are into it now...... at least 5 Storm Players plus plenty others interested.

Quite a few are into it now...... at least 5 Storm Players plus plenty others interested.

One of then busted this beauty in a break for me last week

BEA5A38E-B997-4BD7-8786-DDD93AE7D4EE.jpeg

I went to uni with an ex-afl player that had to sign the future force cards. I asked him about it and he got made to sign it. Said they got next to nothing for doing it and where basically force, but a lot where just stocked they had a card. Further this he said he still gets hassled for the player issue ones & thinks there crazy. He keeped one and gave the rest to family and friends.

A guy I follow who used to be an MLB pitcher for the Yankees did a bit on card signing and the process. Good insight.

View: https://youtu.be/E0AGFOj3vEs

For me cost has to play a factor for any business and end product - if it costs $1M just for the rights to make the cards - Then you have to pay players to sign (they should be rewarded for their time), Then produce and manufacture plus marketing and distribution on top of people not wanting to pay big $$$ for packs it’s a fine balance...

I am sure if the market was happy to pay $15 - $20 a pack the sky would be the limit - business have to make some profit for doing it. Different discussion on what people think is fair profit.

There is also a balance of keeping old collectors and bringing new in - I have been collecting for 10 years but in the last 3 have gone a lot harder as I like what they are doing. Some years will be awesome and some will be off the mark. In the end I love that there is an industry that allows us to collect and to me that has to be the first goal to keep it alive.

Final statement on the milestone release. If they called it a heritage or Vintage release and foil stamped the set it would add a twist and that happens all the time in other release (See Topps Archive)... It’s all in how you market it 😃😃😃

A guy I follow who used to be an MLB pitcher for the Yankees did a bit on card signing and the process. Good insight.

View: https://youtu.be/E0AGFOj3vEs

For me cost has to play a factor for any business and end product - if it costs $1M just for the rights to make the cards - Then you have to pay players to sign (they should be rewarded for their time), Then produce and manufacture plus marketing and distribution on top of people not wanting to pay big $$$ for packs it’s a fine balance...

I am sure if the market was happy to pay $15 - $20 a pack the sky would be the limit - business have to make some profit for doing it. Different discussion on what people think is fair profit.

There is also a balance of keeping old collectors and bringing new in - I have been collecting for 10 years but in the last 3 have gone a lot harder as I like what they are doing. Some years will be awesome and some will be off the mark. In the end I love that there is an industry that allows us to collect and to me that has to be the first goal to keep it alive.

Final statement on the milestone release. If they called it a heritage or Vintage release and foil stamped the set it would add a twist and that happens all the time in other release (See Topps Archive)... It’s all in how you market it 😃😃😃

Well said mate. Regarding ongoing value, I feel distribution is key to this. TLA want to push there stock onto resellers as quickly as possible, which I get. The secondary market then overflows and prices drop. How a black LS or YG can sell for under $100 is beyond me.

Look at the much maligned (by some) Glory release. It certainly had some deficiencies but because the stock was not dumped, prices are very solid. I have sold my spare box level signatures (Future Famers) for a minimum of $45ea. These are numbered to /400, you can’t get $35 for some LS numbered to /90.

But overall, deficiencies, positives etc aside, we collect because we love the sport and hobby. I am not the biggest fan of TLA for various reasons but I like the cards, especially that Hodgo #009 Spotlight jersey that will be in my PC!

Can hardly call it a new release with so many rehashed cards right?

You could apply that logic to each Elite series since 2015 though.

Mojo’s on some level with all 4 levels being present across the last 3 releases (including 2020)

Jersey patch / jersey patch signatures since 2015, all with RTF format except last year’s booklets

Black and white LS for the last 3 years

Captains had 4 years in a row.

Yep there is some repitition but some new concepts as well such as /20 LS, Masters Series and Elite Priority Parallels to name a few.

Good and bad points for all and as always subjective to the individual collector.

Consistency is sometimes not bad. Select didn’t change it up a great deal.

Glass half full, we have cards to collect and Footy to watch.

Well said mate. Regarding ongoing value, I feel distribution is key to this. TLA want to push there stock onto resellers as quickly as possible, which I get. The secondary market then overflows and prices drop. How a black LS or YG can sell for under $100 is beyond me.

Look at the much maligned (by some) Glory release. It certainly had some deficiencies but because the stock was not dumped, prices are very solid. I have sold my spare box level signatures (Future Famers) for a minimum of $45ea. These are numbered to /400, you can’t get $35 for some LS numbered to /90.

But overall, deficiencies, positives etc aside, we collect because we love the sport and hobby. I am not the biggest fan of TLA for various reasons but I like the cards, especially that Hodgo #009 Spotlight jersey that will be in my PC!
Happy for you to have the #009 - As long as I get one of them I will be happy

Back
Top Bottom