2019 series 2 whispers

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a high end collector am very underwhelmed by this latest release. Is the Shaws marque card really the best we can produce??? Even if you weren’t a Geelong supported last year a dual sig of the Ablett’s is impressive, but the Shaws, really?? And choosing to ignore dual captains?? Why, you have produced dual captain sigs in the past?? I am just going to park this picture here as a tribute to the closest we have come to having Logo Patch Sigs in our hobby, which is now becoming a distant memory............#bringbackthepatch

3CB6EF77-E8DA-4EEF-B5CF-9DA82DDF7A41.jpeg

As a high end collector am very underwhelmed by this latest release. Is the Shaws marque card really the best we can produce??? Even if you weren’t a Geelong supported last year a dual sig of the Ablett’s is impressive, but the Shaws, really?? And choosing to ignore dual captains?? Why, you have produced dual captain sigs in the past?? I am just going to park this picture here as a tribute to the closest we have come to having Logo Patch Sigs in our hobby, which is now becoming a distant memory............#bringbackthepatch

3CB6EF77-E8DA-4EEF-B5CF-9DA82DDF7A41.jpeg

Totally agree with all that mate. Patch cards should be a staple each year. We don’t need them flooded like America, but surely not that hard to give us something. And think not doing dual captain sigs defeats the purpose of having captain sigs really, it’s not that hard, the players are at the club together all the time. I seriously couldn’t believe they literally just picked one of the captains.

Yeh I reckon you are spot on. Even if it is not a signature patch, there should be one patch per team every year atleast.

My Mundy signature patch is by far the best looking card I have.

On a side note though, I’m not sure why clubs have joint captains. Especially those that have 3 captains.

I am disappointed that there are only four worthy ‘hits’ per case - 2x high flyer, dominance and captain redemption.

Very high odds of buying 3-4 boxes as I did today and pulling nothing more than a medal card and multiple boxes without even that. For a $245 RRP product I don’t think it’s good enough.

Compare it to my favourite series 2017 Certified where 50% of boxes had big hits - 2x guernsey, 1x guernsey auto, 1x footy finest, 1x premiership redemption and 1x influential per case. Every other box had a medal card.

That all said I love the look of the high flyers cards, great design. I would have preferred this ratio though:

6 per case - medal winner
3 per case - high flyer (same ratio as Legacy FHOF)
1 per case - captain sig
1 per case - Dominance
1 per case - premiership predictor

I feel the individual team premiership predictors are overkill and I feel for anyone who bought a case but only got 1 or even none of the realistic 3-4 premiership contenders.

I say this having been lucky enough to pull 2x Collingwood, 1x Geelong and 1x WCE predictors in the first 24 hours. I’d much prefer a harder pull (1:12 boxes) but something that can be held onto and redeemed regardless of who wins.

I also think this series is great. The fact Captain sigs are back, new design of cards with High Flyers, Dominance and Timeless just fantastic.
Then also to do Gordon Coventry case card as well.

Medal cards look amazing.

So if your a collector and not looking to make a profit and then you would love these cards. And at the end of the day select are thinking about the collector and not the person who is trying to make a profit from these. When people ask such high prices for cards all they are doing is killing the hobby. I have seen so many people lose the passion because its too expensive. But its only expensive because people are trying to make a profit. Maybe one day select can do the cards as they do with the packs and boxes and cases but then have another option were you can buy the complete team master set from them.

Why? I personally think its a really good release. There is short and long term value in this release.

I’m just bored with it mate. There are some quality cards but you can pretty much guess the checklist give or take a few surprises before the release.

Why not dual captain signatures? Huge missed opportunity for mine.

I also think the DPS look horrendous, shame since theyre my main draw. I hope the Fly highers look better in person, they really don't do much for the eye specially compared to last years future hall of fame or the previous Footys Finest.

I also think this series is great. The fact Captain sigs are back, new design of cards with High Flyers, Dominance and Timeless just fantastic.
Then also to do Gordon Coventry case card as well.

Medal cards look amazing.

So if your a collector and not looking to make a profit and then you would love these cards. And at the end of the day select are thinking about the collector and not the person who is trying to make a profit from these. When people ask such high prices for cards all they are doing is killing the hobby. I have seen so many people lose the passion because its too expensive. But its only expensive because people are trying to make a profit. Maybe one day select can do the cards as they do with the packs and boxes and cases but then have another option were you can buy the complete team master set from them.

No offense here but Select aren't thinking that much about the collector at all here, as long as they can sell their product and boost their balance sheet heading towards the end of the current licence agreement that's all they are aiming to do.

Some of the cards are nice......the High Flyers look good but I think this release is a step back from last years release.

I'm sure plenty of collectors are enjoying the release but the dumping has already started and already seeing some auto cards being sold off for $30 a pop.

People lose the passion because its the same ideas are rehashed over and over again and the supposed best card in the release is a triple signature of the Shaws now that's saying something. They could have done 50 other multi signature cards before that one and been more sought after. I guess they are saving them for the third release.

Anyway ill get back into my box now, don't want to upset the minions.

Strongly agree on the draft pick signatures. Last years card was great !!!! This year they’ve tried to go the NBA 2012 panini prestigious picks rookie auto look...not a fan

Need to be careful with too many foil type cards in my opinion...our game is unique and special so no need to copy everything US sports based

Im new to AFL cards, but I must admit, the Shaw's card is perplexing to me.

Other than the sheer rarity of the card, what is appealing about it?

Heath Shaw. Pretty good player but will have played nearly half his career on another team. Rhys Shaw? Meh.

If they really wanted to do a Pies release due to the size of their fanbase. Why not do a Buckley/Pendlebury (Coach/Captain) signature release or something?

As someone said recently, you dont have to be a Geelong fan to appreciate how special an Ablett Snr and GAJ dual sig is etc.

Im new to AFL cards, but I must admit, the Shaw's card is perplexing to me.

Other than the sheer rarity of the card, what is appealing about it?

Heath Shaw. Pretty good player but will have played nearly half his career on another team. Rhys Shaw? Meh.

If they really wanted to do a Pies release due to the size of their fanbase. Why not do a Buckley/Pendlebury (Coach/Captain) signature release or something?

As someone said recently, you dont have to be a Geelong fan to appreciate how special an Ablett Snr and GAJ dual sig is etc.

Yep agree with this. None of the three Shaws on the card will be Hall of Famers. Surely they could have included Tony Shaw and made it a quad signature, or not included Ray?

Setting the bar so high with the Abletts always meant they had no where to go but I would have thought a dual sig of the Fletchers or Silvagnis would have been far more appealing to other collectors.

How about a triple signature ‘icons’ coaching card of Malthouse, Clarkson and Sheedy?

Yep agree with this. None of the three Shaws on the card will be Hall of Famers. Surely they could have included Tony Shaw and made it a quad signature, or not included Ray?

Setting the bar so high with the Abletts always meant they had no where to go but I would have thought a dual sig of the Fletchers or Silvagnis would have been far more appealing to other collectors.

How about a triple signature ‘icons’ coaching card of Malthouse, Clarkson and Sheedy?

Yeh, lots of low hanging fruit in terms of ideas really. To come out with a Shaws card makes me think theyre scraping the bottom of the barrel with ideas. If you're gonna make a card that bloody rare, which is fine, then make it about a HOF/Legend calibre player.

Yeh, lots of low hanging fruit in terms of ideas really. To come out with a Shaws card makes me think theyre scraping the bottom of the barrel with ideas. If you're gonna make a card that bloody rare, which is fine, then make it about a HOF/Legend calibre player.

I think ideas are getting a bit thin at the moment and while they had the Captains already signing (wont cost them much more aside fron printing the extra cards).....why not do 3 x Triple Autos (#/25) with this years Captains on them.

Card 1 - Melbourne Themed
Cotchin - Richmond
Heppell - Essendon
Selwood - Geelong

Card 2 - Interstate Themed
Walker - Adelaide
Hurn - West Coast
Kennedy - Sydney

Card 3 - The Others
Zorko - Brisbane
Ziebell - North Melbourne
Geary - St Kilda

............or make up your own combinations however you like, but something like that would be cool instead of 75 Shaw Family cards which don't get too many people excited.

It's really not that hard to come up with some concepts..........I have 100 of them now that Select could use!

Here the 3rd releas
I think ideas are getting a bit thin at the moment and while they had the Captains already signing (wont cost them much more aside fron printing the extra cards).....why not do 3 x Triple Autos (#/25) with this years Captains on them.

Card 1 - Melbourne Themed
Cotchin - Richmond
Heppell - Essendon
Selwood - Geelong

Card 2 - Interstate Themed
Walker - Adelaide
Hurn - West Coast
Kennedy - Sydney

Card 3 - The Others
Zorko - Brisbane
Ziebell - North Melbourne
Geary - St Kilda

............or make up your own combinations however you like, but something like that would be cool instead of 75 Shaw Family cards which don't get too many people excited.

It's really not that hard to come up with some concepts..........I have 100 of them now that Select could use!
Just like 2004 conquest I believe... good luck finding a triple Brownlow sign under $1500-$2000 that’s if you can find one!

ok after busting a few boxes, my initial thoughts on the best cards in hands (in order)

1. Timeless
2. Players Ink SIgnature
3. High FLyers

Hon. Mention the Medal Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom