2018 Over & 2019 Collecting Goals

ElijahCraigHyde

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jarrah
What was your highlight for 2018?
What was your biggest disappointment for 2018?
What are your collecting goals for 2019?
What are you expecting in 2019 releases?
Are you expecting this year, in particular 19 Series II to be better than 18 legacy or even 16/17 certified?
Can you name me for 3 personal favorite cards in Select history regardless of what you have on hand or not?

For me it would have to be this feeling of conformation and validation that 2017 Certified REALLY IS the best release from Select or at least since Gold Coast and GWS entered the comp at the start of the decade. Picking up a Ward IC low number was a personal bonus for me as a Giants collector and last of all (and yes necessarily least lol) the way Select did cater for expansion clubs in the anticipated HF release with the Future HF cards but that's about it there.
The antagonizing anticipation leading up to 18 Legacy with dealing suggesting it was going to be even better than Certified - it was not! Apart from the FHF /50 cards and the Gazza dual sig (though not gunna blow the majority of a paid check on a card like that yet alone one of not my team) I simply wished too much for things there making the /80 Gunersey signatures, F-Finest and IC cards the best high ends to date.

To remain on top of my GWS IP-sub PC elements of my collection, continue to attend Giants fan days and signature opportunities wherever possible and hopefully complete the 9 back end Guernsey card collection from 17 Certified.

I am expecting the Hall of fame component to be replaced by similar theme to what 2013 Prime release was. In other words it would be reflecting upon initial draftees from 2010 onward who are making the dominance in the game now at the end of this decade thus coming into the 2020s. I am partially expecting Premiership Predictors to be brought forward into series I and to replace some of the excessive number of Brownlow Predictor cards yet that BP concept still to stay.
Are you expecting this year, in particular 19 Series II to be better than 18 legacy or even 16/17 certified?

Absolutely not as a matter of fact - yes some dealers may provide this raving suggesting it will be the best release yet but as FAIC that will be cattle manure in terms of the outcome. OK maybe there might be a Tony Shaw, Nathan Buckley and Scott Pendlebury triple sigature for the Pies collectors or the case hit and/or top end cards appealing to some but am suspecting the they won't be for all 18 clubs TBH.
Can you name me for 3 personal favorite cards in Select history regardless of what you have on hand or not?

1. MWG Signatues /80 (Greene for me); 2. Influential /40 (Ward for me); 2. F/Finest (Cameron for me)

The Eagles winning the premiership in the year Premiership Predictors came back, and JK finally getting a sig in Eagles colours - in case you couldn't tell from my post in the best 2018 pick-up thread :)

Tough question. Probably Future Force being dumped in favour of the Christmas website release? Hope Select don't veer too heavily down that route, but as long as the traditional releases are still the main focus and good quality that's the main thing. Maybe also Judd not being in Eagles colours in his FHOF - but that's very nitpicky and either way one set of supporters were going to feel hard done by.

To go past the 90% mark of completing my Eagles PC. The cards I still need from earlier releases are slowly becoming harder and harder to find, so it's going to be a good challenge.

No idea, to be honest. Think there might be some changes in Series 1, and obviously Series 2 will be a lot different as well with no HoF theme. Teamcoach I hope will get a revamp to some degree - bring back the silvers! - but no idea what will happen there.

I don't see any reason why it won't be another good release like the last few. Whether it will outdo those ones is hard to say so far out, but there's no doubt that will be Select's aim.

Hmm, in no particular order:

- The Certified Guernsey Signature cards (Naitanui for the Eagles)
- The Captain Signature series (Cousins and Kemp for the Eagles)
- Chris Judd Dynasty Brownlow Signature

Return of the draft pick signature in the Legacy release

Not being able to redeem my Richmond premiership predictors

1996 Jack Dyer Hall of Fame Signature

Series 1 - Premiership predictors returning to where they belong, and hopefully a lot less brownlow predictors
Series 2 - Retain draft pick signatures, and after this years Ablett card a little subset of dual signatures (maybe coach and captain or a famous number past & current player)

Series 1 needs a bit of a freshen up, keeping Series 2 like that of 17 certified and 18 legacy and we've done well again

2017 Select AFL Certified Redeemed premiership predictor :) #gotiges
2010 Select AFL Prestige Matthew Richardson Signature Redemption (my all-time favourite Tigers player)

for the last a little controversial considering we are in the AFL section

2006-07 Select A-League Mark Viduka Tribute Signature Redemption

Return of the draft pick signature in the Legacy release

Tie between Future Force being dumped and Luke Hodge FOH being in a Brisbane jumper, the actual ****

Sam Mitchell FOH or a Footy Finest.

Series 1 - Certified signatures to be dumped.

2002 Slecet SPX Peter Hudson Legend Signature(LS2)
Shaun Burgoyne Darft Pick Signature
2004 Select AFL Ovation Top Prospect Sam Mitchell

Last edited:

return of dps and introduction of platinum predictors. big fan of the fhof aswell

no future force and thise horrid christmas cards. i would say the ablett dual sig not being in gc colours but i couldnt do it with a straight face hahah

also having lynch as fhof ans hall as sig when they were already out the door and the premiership predictors released with like 10 games to go and some clubs futures already set in stone.

continue my omeara, ablett, bonar and kelly pcs and get some nice cards of shiel in an essendon attire. also get 100% on all gc and gws cardd to date.

hoping they continue to improve as they have in last few years and continue to look to build customer engagement. and please no christmas cards or if you do make them for the kids and not $15 a pack online only.

and not the biggest fan but expecting more onlune sales only (like hi lites, draft cards etc)

can only hope allthough time will tell.

jaeger o meara certified signature
josh kelly future hall of fame
gary ablett footy fines

on hand

ablett dual sig
richo signature redemption
cousins future hall of fame

out kf hand

AMT certified signature being an EFC collector.

Christmas packs. Weird theme and hard to justify spending $15 a pack.

Potentially setting up a website to log my EFC collectables.

Series 1 - Premiership predictors to keep interest in the season. By the time Legacy was released, a lot of the clubs were no longer in finals contention. Less Brownlow Predictors if they decide to go down that route.

Series 1 needs a bit of a freshen up.

Bigger fan of 17 Certified than 18 Legacy due to Guernsey cards, influentials and footy’s finest. Wish Guernsey cards were more regular in releases.

2011 Ken Fraser Heritage Signature (one of the nicest Select sets)
2017 Hurley Guernsey Sig Redemption
2017 Heppell Influential

What was your highlight for 2018? Happy to see DPS back, but perhaps they could be in series 1. Having a vested interest in premiership predictors until the preliminary final was a novel experience - hopefully they are in series 1 as well.

What was your biggest disappointment for 2018? Select's increased focus on short term cash grabs over quality releases. More meaningless inserts (eg FHOF). Duplicate signatures from 2017 Future Force & 2018 Legacy. Limited edition cards losing significance due to players changing clubs .

Continue to add quality Melbourne cards to my collection. Hopefully there is a premiership to be commemorated in the next year or so.

More of the same. Select are short on innovative ideas and Teamcoach are limited by the terms of their agreement. I'd love to see the two swap releases for the year and see what each could come up with for the other's product.

The best releases have been ones that have had a strong central theme, particularly the Brownlow releases. Not sure that Select has anything amazing up their sleeves at the moment, but a Clayton Oliver certified signature card would sway me. More signatures from retired greats would be fantastic to see.

I don't collect (or even take interest in) high value cards with little significance, so my favourites tend to be signature cards of my favourite players (Nathan Jones DPS, Max Gawn Signature, Tom McDonald signature).

My highlight was the partnership between Paul Harvey (Harv Time) and Ja Ja's Collectables - I thought that the signed caricature cards were fantastic, with a brilliant selection of players so far.

Select Legacy was a bit of a disappointment for me, although only due to my Hawthorn bias. I agree with @poita re: the meaningless inserts. I loved the "stats smashers" inserts in the ESP release circa 2001 as they provided a great summary of what happened during the season. I also don't see the point of the Brownlow or Premiership Predictors being player/team specific - it creates an even BIGGER checklist and 90% of the cards won't mean bugger all.

To collect more of the Harv Time cards and to NOT bust boxes any more. I'll just try to save for the individual Select cards that take my fancy where possible/practical.

Absolutely no idea. You would assume that the regulars (Series 1, Series 2, Hilites/Rising Star) will return, probably interspersed with other "online purchase only" releases like last year. I think maybe we will see a multi-signed card in series II as we did in Legacy.

I certainly won't be holding my breath, although pleasing supporters of 18 clubs is somewhat difficult I guess if pack/box/case costs are to be affordable. It also depends on your definition of "better". I love the Guernsey/signature concept but thought that it was a very bad mistake to include clash jumpers in the releases. To me it cheapened the excitement and also the collectability of some of the cards.

1. Leigh Matthews Legend Signature card (don't have)
2. John Kennedy Snr Signature card (have)
3. Ron Barassi Legend Signature card (don't have)

Back
Top Bottom