2019 Official NRL Thread (Spoilers/Rumours/Game Results/Discussions etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ca...-guilty-to-civic-assault-20180628-p4zo82.html

Pleaded guilty to 2 counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, 3 of common assault, and 1 of public urination. Unless I'm mistaken assault occasioning actual bodily harm is the same offence Russell Packer did time for. This is the ACT but the maximum sentence is 5 years imprisonment the same as NSW.

I'll be surprised if they let him play at the weekend. The media will be all over this very shortly.

I will be shocked if he plays again this year and then some. The article indicates that he has flown back to QLD to go into camp.

His hearing was set for July, early plea to have the matter referred to an Indigenous Circuit Court so he may avoid jail.

I heard it over the weekend as well, no surprises Austin is looking after knocking back the Raiders reduced offer. The only way it could work is Munster goes back to Fullback which means Billy is retiring and Jerome Hughes is looking for a job.

I cant see it as a great move by Storm nut hey Bellamy will know.
yeah, me agree Ross.
I thought storm loosing cronk was a bit of backward step, I think austin will set them back even further.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ca...-guilty-to-civic-assault-20180628-p4zo82.html

Pleaded guilty to 2 counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, 3 of common assault, and 1 of public urination. Unless I'm mistaken assault occasioning actual bodily harm is the same offence Russell Packer did time for. This is the ACT but the maximum sentence is 5 years imprisonment the same as NSW.

I'll be surprised if they let him play at the weekend. The media will be all over this very shortly.
all we used to get back in the eighties in newcastle for those things was a night in the lockup, and they would let us out just before 6.00am so they did not have to give us any thing to eat or drink.

Penrith has Re-Signed Reagan Campbell-Gillard until 2024 - was signed up until 2019 but has extended his deal today.

Also Kaide Ellis has signed a 2 year deal.

Just need a certain halfback to sign after this season is over and ill be very happy!

Cheers
Matt

Penrith has Re-Signed Reagan Campbell-Gillard until 2024 - was signed up until 2019 but has extended his deal today.

Also Kaide Ellis has signed a 2 year deal.

Just need a certain halfback to sign after this season is over and ill be very happy!

Cheers
Matt
So three years time he’ll be a shark ?

Someone (a sharkie) had to say it! Just remember pennies, tigers and cowboys are our nursery

I think Penrith is the feeder team to a lot of clubs! Helps when you have 1000's of juniors.......if only we got paid for developing them!

Saints vs Para indicative of the NRL in 2018 and both clubs fortunes.

80 minute football needed. Even Vossy called it for Para 15 mins out.

They made a good point on sports Sunday regarding the charges against Jack Wighton . The NRL have the footage but still haven’t released it ??They believe the public will be horrified as they were with the Matt Lodge incident??.Personally i find it pretty poor form for a bloke with the money and resources he has available to him to be abusing the system the way he is and not taking responsibility for assaulting (5) people . I wonder where all the people with an opinion on Matt Lodge are now ??

They made a good point on sports Sunday regarding the charges against Jack Wighton . The NRL have the footage but still haven’t released it ??They believe the public will be horrified as they were with the Matt Lodge incident??.Personally i find it pretty poor form for a bloke with the money and resources he has available to him to be abusing the system the way he is and not taking responsibility for assaulting (5) people . I wonder where all the people with an opinion on Matt Lodge are now ??
My opinion is the same on Wighton as it was on Lodge, tear up his contract and ban him from the game. It is a privledge to play the game you love and should be treated as such. However the NRL have already made a stance on this and unless he goes to jail he should be able to play since the amount of players who the nrl have continued to support and have been allowed to play, why should he be any different.

My opinion is the same on Wighton as it was on Lodge, tear up his contract and ban him from the game. It is a privledge to play the game you love and should be treated as such. However the NRL have already made a stance on this and unless he goes to jail he should be able to play since the amount of players who the nrl have continued to support and have been allowed to play, why should he be any different.
My issue is with him taking the indigenous court route, abusing the system as it was never designed for football players on 200K plus salary’s. Gross misuse of the system and poor form imo.

I assume this aimed at me as I was quite opinionated on Lodge. The reason the footage hasn’t been released is because he hasn’t been sentenced, evidence (unless leaked) can’t be released until a court proceeding is finished.

I didn’t see the Sunday Footy Show but have heard varying versions on the incident. Some say it is abhorrent behaviour from Wighton, others claim there was a level of provocation toward him and he made a bad choice. The fact that multiple charges were dropped indicates that there was more to the incident that Wighton just belting people for the fun of it.

I am sure that once the footage is released a more thorough opinion can be reached. Regardless of the sentence he has taken a level of responsibility with an early guilty plea.

I don’t think he should play again this year but I also think that Canberra shouldn’t be forced to sack him as some other club will then pick him up.

The charges are very serious, make no doubt. The key difference with Lodge is that his were committed a private dwelling which in the eyes of the law doubles the severity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom