Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Brendan_B

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Brendan
eBay User
Brendan3767
So we are about 4 weeks post what I anticipated would be one of the better, more exciting cricket releases for quite sometime. Unfortunately, due to reasons I will document in the review I haven't been able to bust anywhere near as much product as I hoped.

What wasn't to look forward to? After-all it is the Ashes and for the first time in 15+ years there were base and insert card for another touring team.

As always please feel free to agree, disagree or just have a general opinion. I am confident that these reviews get seen by the producers and can only help improve the future products.

FOLDERS

The folders themselves are nice, well designed with the sweater covering the folder a different touch. The sleeves inside are another story though, cheap & nasty! My folder has the same issue that the 15/16 folders did with the last few sleeves curling under the metal plate that holds the rings. This means no cards on the last few pages and for a premium release this is poor. I think these folders either needed to come with a free packet, promo card or album card to meet the value for money aspect.

BASE SET

Some positive aspects and some negative, I will start with the former. The Australian & English base cards are quite good, aside from the couple of English players where the image has been very obviously photo-shopped in. The great Ashes grounds was also a nice addition however I felt that for the shots they could have found better images (SCG aside) that clearly identified the ground.

Now for the negatives. The Southern Stars are always a great addition but why oh why are they in their ODI uniforms? I know that the ODI & T20 form part of the Women's Ashes but let be realistic, you say Ashes and I think red ball cricket. Where are the English women? Where are the checklists for both teams? How bizarre to have a checklist 1-42 and then nothing.

The inclusion of the men's ODI and T20 is obviously to boost numbers but this is not Ashes related at all. The Ashes is test cricket! If they wanted to boost numbers how about coaches cards? How about subsets such as great Ashes moments (Freddie consoling Lee 2005, Harris first ball dismissal of Cook etc). How about a picture of the urn with a bit of history?

Lastly and maybe most importantly the stock used for the cards is rubbish for a premium release (or a release that is priced at the premium level).

PARALLELS

These are quite nice looking and no real complaints here that haven't been mentioned in the previous paragraphs. I think that there should have been silvers at 1 per pack and golds at 1 per 4 packs. I know this creates a huge amount to chase but isn't that what collecting is?

NATIONAL PRIDE

These are easily the best looking insert IMO and could have very well been the box hit. The foil board comes up a treat, the national flag in the background is spectacular. As the box hit these would have been numbered and add a couple of the Women's players to the set and even better!

RIVALRIES

These are not a horrible looking card and for a two per box hit are fine. The theme is good and while a few players depicted haven't played in the series I don't think TnP can be blamed for that.

MILESTONES

Another reasonable theme and solid lower end insert. Certainly nothing spectacular, maybe a set that should have been either completely toward the individuals pending milestone though.

PORTRAITS

This is another set where I can't knock the theme and the fact that a box hit is numbered (all be it printed not foil) is a welcome addition. The damage and cutting issues with these cards have been quite an issue and the replacement that I have seen was hand numbered which is just ridiculous and cheap. I appreciate that TnP are replacing damaged cards but having a few hand numbered among printed numbers is not a fluent look. I think that having these as the Promo / Show cards was also a bad move as it drives down the value of a numbered set and with Promo cards you just don't know how many are produced.

PREDICTORS

Great concept, really nice looking cards. The fact that no clear direction on what a winning predictor will redeem is poor and at /100 they should redeem at least a five card set of the player with one being a signature. The wildcard stuff up (and it was a stuff up) now means there will be double the amount of POTS cards available and this will be strange because you will have both the actual winning player at /100 and the wildcard at /100.

SIGNATURE CARDS

I haven't seen one of these in hand but the fact that they are landscape is great as this really gives the player room to sign and puts the focus on the signature which is what a signature card should be! Any signature series with both Ashes Captains in it is a solid start and good to see a couple of new faces aside from Smith but really who doesn't want a Steve Smith auto? I felt there should have been more players to make each card no more than /125. I know the English are /100 but this is in part due to the fact that they kept some non numbered for promotional purposes & Xmas bundles. This is a blatant cash grab to me and really diminishes in the value as how many non numbered signature cards are there?

HIGH END

Really great initiatives and both should hold value, particularly the Bradman. The redemption cards look spectacular, I can only imagine how good the actual cards would be. Having the Morris game worn patch /48 after the Invincibles is a nice touch.

SUMMARY

I am not sure if there are case cards so I won't comment on these. In summary this release could have been huge. I was so optimistic and when @Matt26 posted the sell sheet made the comment, "shut up and take my money" because I was genuinely excited about this release.

Initially the price was a big concern for collectors and yes it is an expensive product (premium pricing for Australian sports cards). In relation to the value for money it hasn't delivered at all, this product should be a maximum of $5 per packet. I would have been happy to pay $7 per packet if there had been a couple of higher end inserts. Why not a 1:72 past heroes subset? Why not a Ashes memorable moments set at 2 per box? To me, and I am sure I am not alone, the Ashes is as much about the present as it is about the past and to that end this needed some more nostalgia about it. I know that I do not have the inside knowledge in relation to costs and licensing etc and I have been previously made aware that CA are a bit funny with having retired players sign. Select seemed to incorporate retired players with no worries, this set coulkd have been huge with a past heroes subset and a legends case hit as a signature. Can you imagine a Lillee, Marsh, Gower or Gooch saignature card /50?

This release has been plagued by other issues also, most notably the distribution and quality control. The release should have been out 1 November not toward the end of the first test. TnP seem to have massive issues in these areas and they are into their fourth cricket release.

Personally I am so very disappointed by this release. TnP had ample time and so many great ideas from collectors to get this right and they have failed. Despite this I will still continue to chip away at the release because I love collecting and there are some good aspects.

5/10 for me

To add some context to my initial review I have been provided with some information;

BASE SET

Some positive aspects and some negative, I will start with the former. The Australian & English base cards are quite good, aside from the couple of English players where the image has been very obviously photo-shopped in.

The Poms had a change of kit sponsor so the ECB said you can only use action shots with the new kit or photoshoot images

The great Ashes grounds was also a nice addition however I felt that for the shots they could have found better images (SCG aside) that clearly identified the ground.

Now for the negatives. The Southern Stars are always a great addition but why oh why are they in their ODI uniforms? I know that the ODI & T20 form part of the Women's Ashes but let be realistic, you say Ashes and I think red ball cricket. Where are the English women? Where are the checklists for both teams? How bizarre to have a checklist 1-42 and then nothing.

CA demanded that the ODI and T20 teams be part of this.....was argued that it should only be test but at worst they said had to be one dayers as well.

As for the checklist not sure why it wasnt done this way and no idea about the English women.

The inclusion of the men's ODI and T20 is obviously to boost numbers but this is not Ashes related at all. The Ashes is test cricket! If they wanted to boost numbers how about coaches cards? How about subsets such as great Ashes moments (Freddie consoling Lee 2005, Harris first ball dismissal of Cook etc). How about a picture of the urn with a bit of history?

To use older players, you need their permission and pay them to be used.......the ECB wouldn't allow any old players in the set. They Flat out refused.

PARALLELS

These are quite nice looking and no real complaints here that haven't been mentioned in the previous paragraphs. I think that there should have been silvers at 1 per pack and golds at 1 per 4 packs. I know this creates a huge amount to chase but isn't that what collecting is?

The number of Parallels was cut down as people were complaining that there were too many to collect.

PREDICTORS

Great concept, really nice looking cards. The fact that no clear direction on what a winning predictor will redeem is poor and at /100 they should redeem at least a five card set of the player with one being a signature. The wildcard stuff up (and it was a stuff up) now means there will be double the amount of POTS cards available and this will be strange because you will have both the actual winning player at /100 and the wildcard at /100.

The winning predictor was initially planned to get a signed card #/100 of the player of the series, no idea what happened to this plan

SIGNATURE CARDS

I haven't seen one of these in hand but the fact that they are landscape is great as this really gives the player room to sign and puts the focus on the signature which is what a signature card should be! Any signature series with both Ashes Captains in it is a solid start and good to see a couple of new faces aside from Smith but really who doesn't want a Steve Smith auto? I felt there should have been more players to make each card no more than /125. I know the English are /100 but this is in part due to the fact that they kept some non numbered for promotional purposes & Xmas bundles. This is a blatant cash grab to me and really diminishes in the value as how many non numbered signature cards are there?

The initial plan was to have all of the signatures numbered to 100 or less plus some dual signature cards.

The plan was to have a legend from Australia (likely Border and perhaps someone like Gooch/Gatting) as singles and then a dual with Border. Also meant to be a Smith/Root dual signature which got canned. The ECB wouldnt allow past players and then the English players said they would only sign 100 max of each card or increase your signing fee considerably. That mean the aussie players had to increase in number to fill out the odds.

I have had the same response re the photo shopping due to the new sponsor and all cards need to have new logos on them however;

* check out the Jimmy Anderson image on the rivalries card - it has the waitrose logo on his shirt.

* Would it not be a better idea to photoshop out the waitrose logo and sub in the natwest one rather than do what they did with whole images? We all know they do this with bbl cards. They just photoshop a different jersey on to them. Check out Adam Zampa in last years set. Same image for ODI and T20 cards different shirt. I have also had several players comment when seeing the cards for the first time "I don't remember playing in this jersey before" and having a laugh at the Photoshopping with other players.

I personally think the release over delivered. Now, l know some people will point out the reason l say this is due to me getting the Bradman redemption but this is my (A-hole), l mean opinion only.

First the Positives:

Base set / Gold parallel: Prefect size set. Not too big. I dont like 200 base cards set. Too hard to put together.

Great insert - All of them. The design of all the inserts were top line. The ratios were at a good rate as well.
National prides were one of the standout. Set size was spot on. I would have prefered these were the numbered insert in the box over the portraits.

Rivalries
has a attractive colour scheme. Set size and player selection was also good.

Portraits -
Good to have 2 serial numbered cards per box.

Predictors -
Best overall design amongst the inserts (outside the redemptions). The finish on the predictor makes the card stand out. Also serial numbering adds to the collectability.

Signatures -
Player selection was good. Its good to have signatures which are not all Australian players. Im hoping this draws the attention of international collectors. Having the Englishmen limited to 100 will also help keep their value.

Bradman / Morris redemptions -

Exactly what the cricket market needed. Cards which are not 1 per case. It creates a chase factor which makes busting packs / boxes / cases exciting. Anything that is 1 per case makes the release predictable. In the long term, these are the cards people will chase due to the limited run.
My opinion is this is the KEY to any release.

And some suggestions for improvement:
Distribution -
a few members have mentioned they like buying packs at radom (the the servo / 7 eleven / newsagencies). I'm the same. If this release was more widely available it would be a near sell out at retail level.

Price - $6.95 a pack limits the affordability for a lot of people. Although the content of the release justifies the price, l would prefer to see more people get into Cricket cards.

Production issues - Another lesson learnt! Cards are expected to be near mint - mint when packs are opened. I've read any damaged insert will be replaced.

Signatures: A larger selection of players signing would again increase the chase. Maybe a platinum edition of the redemption which have the player include their test number in the signature.

X-mas bundles - This is by far the best value for money offering. I hope tap n play and other card companies release more of these.

Overall very good value for money, with some high end hits worth chasing. Production run was limited enough to make it a higher end product.
Distribution and production issues needs to be improved.

9/10 for me.

The low numbered signatures have the signature and player number on them in this set and also in last years BBL release. I have seen two or three like that from the ashes set. From memory they were number 2/200.

That was something I forgot to add to my initial review. Why are the signature redemptions not numbered?

In previous years many low numbered signature cards ended up in the hands of TNP re-sellers, having numbered redemption's would put a stop to this. I think being numbered is a good and fair idea for us collectors.

It's been done before mate, Futera signature cards had numbered redemption's in all of their cricket releases.

Sorry I did mean with TNP, should have been clearer. But yes Futera did back in the day. Numbering redemptions is surely the way TNP will go next year after all the backlash they have copped with low numbers always going to dealers.

Possibly but they did change the allocation process of numbers for this release to make it fairer

But did you see a video of this new allocation method? Not suggesting anything, but if you wanted to put peoples minds at ease wouldn’t you have proof. Personally I think number the redemptions, makes it 100% fair for everyone.

But did you see a video of this new allocation method? Not suggesting anything, but if you wanted to put peoples minds at ease wouldn’t you have proof. Personally I think number the redemption's, makes it 100% fair for everyone.

Spot on, thank you for noticing as well, so many collectors have been misled by them and their dealers. I've seen many dealers receive lower numbered cards so they can make a nice profit from them. It's not only the low numbering, but also the best patches from releases that feature Jersey cards too (Club/Country Crest, Sponsors logo's etc...). Most of them have made a motza from this preference process..... it's the collectors that are the victims in this!!!

I'd love to properly review this set but I still haven't found anyone in Brisbane with stock and I've hit a load of stores. I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered some online from tapnplay but the release is always going to be underwhelming if you can't find the damn thing.

Back
Top Bottom