2016 Non-Sport Cards Outlook

stormernumber1

Non-sport Collector || Marvel mainly
Real Name
Daniel
eBay User
stormernumber1
Taking inspiration from this [URL='http://www.ozcardtrader.com.au/community/threads/2015-reflections-and-2016-hopes.192291/']thread [/URL]I thought I might start a discussion on plans for 2016 in regards to the non-sport cards

1. Are you planning on increasing/decreasing the amount of non-sport you collect/buy in 2016? Why?

2. What set/s are you most looking forward to in 2016?

3. What pre-2016 cards/sets are you looking at completing/developing further?

4. What sets/themes have not been announced that you would like to see produced?

5. What types of cards (sketch, auto, patch etc..) would you like to see more/less of in the non-sport category?

6. What is your dream non-sport card? (can be a card that does/doesn't exist)

For me:

1. Are you planning on increasing/decreasing the amount of non-sport you collect/buy in 2016? Why?
Definitely increasing - I have picked up some really nice cards recently and am starting to really like some of the non-sport stuff for my PC, I expect that my non-sport PC will possibly even overtake my sport PC this year.

Warcraft - This set looks pretty nice and I have been looking forward to the movie for a long time, so am super pumped about this set
The Big Bang Theory - I love this show and have decided I am going to try to pick up some of these cards this year.
The Walking Dead - My 2nd favourite show (behind Game of Thrones), would love to have a few zombie blood stained patches in my PC
Game of Thrones Season 5 - Hopefully they get some costume patches in this years set

The Walking dead and Game of thrones previous series I am going to look at getting, also looking at picking up some of the razor poker stuff

4. What sets/themes have not been announced that you would like to see produced?

The Simpsons. How this doesn't have a yearly set I dont know - actor autos, sketches, animation cels - its like the perfect set to do.
Some sets for my kids too - Sofia the First, Frozen, & a Disney princess set
Also wouldn't mind a set for The Chronices of Shanara (brand new show - looks pretty cool)

5. What types of cards (sketch, auto, patch etc..) would you like to see more/less of in the non-sport category?
Less sticker autos - I really dont like them and wish they would go away. I love sketches - however this needs to stay at a level where the sketches are of high quality - i.e. Adventure Time ones, not like some of the stuff that is out there and looks like a 3 year old scribbled on it.

A dual-auto dual-patch of Peter Dinklage and Emilia Clarke from Game of Thrones

Have been increasing non-sport the past year because the value just seems to be a lot more than in NFL where you're lucky if your $100 box generates $10 in hits!

Upper Deck were suppose to be releasing a 'The Crow' set last year and but it never eventuated so I hope it is still in the works. Otherwise, will probably get some of the new Walking Dead and with so many Marvel releases upcoming there should be a set or two worth giving a whirl from the movies also. Hopefully Suicide Squad gets a release also.

Would like to try and get the Adventure Time set I'm working on completed.

A Pixar movie set with sketches, "Totally Fabricated" and some of the voice actors signatures. I think it would be a huge hit and I'm sure artists would love the change from the normally Marvel / DC stuff they are always drawing and would have a sketch quality to rival that of Adventure Time.

Someone to come up with a new idea. Sketches have bombarded the market now. Totally Fabricated were pretty cool; but I would love to see companies try something new. Film Cells (pretty sure these have been done before)? I think Ghostbusters from Crypto is suppose to have "plasma" gook cards which could be fun.

Brandon Lee The Crow cut autograph (loved the movie as a teen).

For me:
The Simpsons. How this doesn't have a yearly set I dont know - actor autos, sketches, animation cels - its like the perfect set to do.
Some sets for my kids too - Sofia the First, Frozen, & a Disney princess set
Also wouldn't mind a set for The Chronices of Shanara (brand new show - looks pretty cool)

Panini has done a Frozen sticker set you can buy a box and album from DA pretty cheap:
http://www.dacardworld.com/entertainment/panini-disney-frozen-enchanted-moments-plus-1-album

Decreasing, to be honest. Budgeting + lack of interest in many non-sports releases at the moment.

Arrested Development
Depends on which TV shows I'm late finding! If I can find any of the older simpsons releases for cheap I'll build on them.

Futurama or Simpsons would be great.

Less manufactured patches.
Matt Groening Art De Bart Autograph card

For me:

Agree that that would be amazing. But cutting Simpsons animation cels for trading cards would break my heart :p I picked up one from one of my favourite scenes ever a few months ago.
Screenshot 2016-01-09 22.20.30.png

Screenshot 2016-01-09 22.20.30.png

Decreasing or same, only planning on buying 1 or 2 boxes

Jusko drawn Marvel Masterpieces

Some 90s marvel chase sets, but time and funds are limited.

A View Askew based set. Clerks, Dogma etc. There would be a ton of great sketch cards, props and autos available if this ever got up. I don't think the guys at the stash would approve though!

I would just like to see a return to original art base cards and nice looking, genuinely limited chase sets.

A complete Marvel Masterpieces 96 would be nice, or a '95 master set for that matter!

Ideally I would like to increase the amount I buy with the movies coming out this year Its a good time to increase

civil war for sure warcraft looks interesting and a couple of tv shows

still looking at completing Guardians of the Galaxy, some SP cards and parallels to get

with the new series of x-files hitting tv I would love to see a x files anthology series with autographs from loads of the actors. also a set based on the tv series The Librarians (with Rebecca Romijn, Noah Wyle) would make some good autographs to add to the PC with the supporting cast

I love the sketches but I would like some quality control on them and make them feel like a big hit again. also less sticker autos I understand its easy but for some reason they feel cheap

I would love to see some book style marvel autographs (in the style of playbook etc) have a nice jumbo piece of Iron Man armour on one side and a sexy On card RDJ auto in gold/metallic red ink

Last edited:
Bought very little in 2015, mainly due to Breaking Bad being such a disappointment. Hard to justify too much spending with the Australian dollar as it currently is.

Arrested Development for sure, but it is about 15 months since the license was first announced and there has been no news since. Please Cryptozoic don't make this another Breaking Bad. I heard some murmurings a while back about another Buffy set (on a bigger scale than last year's release), which could be interesting.

Would love to make some progress on my Lost and Veronica Mars collections, but both have dried up completely in recent years.

Scrubs would be pretty cool, but that ship has probably sailed.

My interests don't tend to see sketch or patch cards, so these don't bother me much. I would love to see more auto cards across the board, and for companies such as Cryptozoic to move away from the 1 auto / 1 costume per box format. If Rittenhouse can put 3 - 4 autos in a box, other companies can too.

A full set of Arrested Development cast autos would be top of the list - we will wait and see. Beyond that I would love for someone to get the rest of the major Lost stars to sign (eg Matthew Fox & Jorge Garcia for starters).

Panini has done a Frozen sticker set you can buy a box and album from DA pretty cheap:
http://www.dacardworld.com/entertainment/panini-disney-frozen-enchanted-moments-plus-1-album
Thanks :). I have seen this around and have been planning on picking it up when I make my next order from them, however as has been mentioned a few times the aussie dollar is just such a road block at the moment, I got a quote the other day for $150US worth of stuff and once postage was added I was looking at around $300AU - which I just can't justify, it effectively turned some descent deals into poor value, although I keep throwing back and forth in my head whether or not I am going to pick up some more stuff and get the total closer to $1000AU mark to make the overall purchase worth while.

Arrested Development for sure, but it is about 15 months since the license was first announced and there has been no news since. Please Cryptozoic don't make this another Breaking Bad.

Especially frustrating since Crypto have already had four pretty major cast members - Tambor, Walter, Cross and Greer sign for Archer.

Probably decreasing due to the oversaturation and not too inspiring Star Wars releases over the last 12 months. Also hurt that I spent so much and so little high end to show for it.

Giving it one more chance, Force Awakens Series 2 and Evolution...please bring me some mojo

Closing out odds and ends from past Star Wars collections

Would have been nice to seen an Entourage Set and a True Detective (preferably Season 1) in the past. Maybe TD3 when it comes out would be a nice set

Has been mentioned some cards for the kids would be good, probably a collation from animated movies...more so from those which have had limited stuff (e.g. Rango, Wreck it Ralph) but good actors/voices.
Agree less manufactured patches really hurt the recent Star Wars releases
More nice quality sketches with actor / voice auto
Redemptions where you win some of the proofs / concept art actual sheets

A Star Wars triple signature of

Obi Wan / Luke Skywalker /Rey, and
Han Solo / Leia / Kylo Ren

Has been mentioned some cards for the kids would be good, probably a collation from animated movies...more so from those which have had limited stuff (e.g. Rango, Wreck it Ralph) but good actors/voices.

I combined animation set would be pretty cool, something like 9-10 cards showing the main characters and storyline per movie with at least a couple of sigs from the voice actors per movie - would be perfect for sketches, giving such a large range of movies, means you would have a heap of content to provide some descent sketches on. Expanding from that you could easily turn this into a multiple series release over the next few years, expanding on the initial content and adding in new movies - inserts levels could be fairly easy too:

Parallel Top Billed Cast
Actor / Character photos (like a photo of the actor and character on the same card) - these could be the design for sigs
Deleted Scenes
Concept Art
Story boards
Behind the scenes
Animation Cels

Getting a little far ahead of myself here, but thinking about the dominos that Woolworths did, my kids would love that sort of a mixed set and it would mean, as you said, some of the less popular movies (which are often the kids favourites) would still get some exposure.

I would like to increase my Star Wars collection. My main Priority is the Topps Widevisions, hopefully they produce this set so that it matches the rest of mine :)

*See above

My SW widevision Chrome art series', I have alot missing still and hopefully i can finish them off this year

*See #1

I would like to see more Autos/Patches etc in the widevison sets.. there are autos... but not many and no relics of any kind... :(

I would love to own a Jeremy Bulloch ON CARD AUTO... Widevision or standard

I know my response isnt that great but i am trying to concentrate on only a select few :)

Decreasing. I find it strange and confusing the choices of retailers for these cards eg. Star Wars were sold in Zing (never shop there), Coles Supermarket (the looks I get when I present my groceries to the checkout are priceless!!!) and apparently Target (hate that shop). Why not newsagents, 7-Eleven?

None

Star Wars

Snakes, Depeche Mode

Don't know

Annie Lennox with a suit and short orange hair circa early 1983

Great thread idea!

I'd like to say decreasing, but not sure, probably depends on the releases. The poor Aussie dollar and is starting to become a major factor in my buying patterns. Especially when I started buying by the case. Thankfully I've cut way back on buying Sports stuff so I have more for non-sport, but also have so much stuff around the house that I need to start selling too.

Hobbit 3, mostly for the Evangeline Lily Auto. Cap America Civil War if they can get some new signers. Flash could be interesting, but mightn't be this year. Outlander could be a nice change if it actually happens. Could use a nice Force Awakens set too

Don't think this page can scroll down far enough! ;-) Priorities at the moment are probably the Hobbit 2 Auto set, Marvel Shield 2 Auto set, Arrow 1 & 2 auto sets. But I have so much on the go it's all a bit crazy!

Would love there to be a Blade Runner set, a TRON set that encompasses the original and Legacy movie (Olivia Wilde auto - yes please!) and a Dune (1984 movie) set. Would also like someone to do a serious Space/Astronauts type set. Bit like those in Panini's 2012 Americana but without the other stuff in it. And how about a general Golden Greats Sci Fi movie set that covers those that haven't had sets recently?

More on card auto's would be great, they are so much better a collectible than sticker autos. Costume cards are pretty good, but how about them being real and not just the same materials that was used (looking at you UD!). Breygent are doing some great things with prop cards, be nice if others followed suit.

While not a type of card, I'd like to see more interaction with the stars and their cards on social media etc. Always cool to see them signing etc. I posted a lot "thank you for signing" notes to the stars of the Continuum on Twitter for the first release, and it was pretty cool that so many acknowledged and sent messages back. I think this is something a lot of us collectors should do, so they know that signing means something to us collectors. Might mean they're more willing to sign again...

Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow auto ? Harrison Ford/ Rutger Hauer dual auto from Blade Runner ? Olivia Wilde as Quorra from TRON Legacy? John Williams auto in a Star Wars set? Entourage set ? Keira Knightley auto from something ? The list goes on and on...

Great thread btw :)

Have been wanting to decrease but doesn't look like happening. Keep finding new stuff to buy lol eg 2015 Dinosaurs.

Not sure, I just stumble across them on ebay through my searches.

2012 & 2014 Marvel Premier, 2013 & 2015 Marvel Fleer Retro, 1995 Marvel Masterpieces

New Marvel Masterpieces by Joe Jusko

Like patches but not huge on too many of them like 2014 Premier. Impossible to complete a set. Puts collectors off IMO. Similar to parallels (Ruby, Diamond) though Vibranium's parallels are nice.

More than 1 but MCC 98 Spiderman sketchboard and Autograph. Simpsons Lucky Day Redemption & Art D'Bart. 1996 Onslaught Autograph set.

Back
Top Bottom