1997-98 UD Michael Jordan Logoman - Fake ?

If Chris Carlin is certain it's authentic then I'd believe it. What do Upper Deck honestly stand to gain from this? They sure as hell aren't getting the money from the sale of the card.

It's great being sceptical about dodgy patches but there's got to be a point where you take your tin hat off and trust the respected people in the industry.

agreed, if i were buying tho id wanna hear from someone from upper deck who was close to the project of first buying the jerseys and adding to cards... just to find out if they cut out the patch's, i find it hard to imagine there were no patch's from name, number, team in the set, but there are peices of logoman? especially now that the market for these is at its peek...

There are multi colour swatches from this set - they aren't patches but they are printed multi colour which would be from logos/numbers/names from the jerseys at the time. I've got some pics at home i'm sure - i'll have a look tonight.

It is good that everyone is having a robust discussion on this. I believe the OCT community is pretty much divided on this topic. Without anybody owning up, the case will always remain a mystery. Remember when Fleer went bankrupt, all funny cards started to appear when in production or not, or in circulation or not. This could be case of something coming out from a UD vault ..... of course it is UD produced card but nobody said that it was inserted in packs. Well, that will always remain a mystery. Cheers Alex

Chris doesn't have anything to gain from the sale and by saying it is authentic. What I do find interesting is that for ages, the same mantra was echoed by collectors that "UD has said that there was no logoman used in early jersey sets". Either way, the bottom line is simply this: nothing can be done to prove or disprove the authenticity of the card.

Is there any proof from Chris Carlin directly from him stating that the patch is real. I mean i could put in my auction that Michael Jordan said it was real. If the seller had a letter from Chris stating it was real, then there would be no question.

cheers
Matt

---------- Post added 09-12-2010 at 06:02 PM ----------

EDIT - Sorry just saw Grahams post

Well it appears some of the experts in this thread were wrong :p

Chris Carlin from Upper Deck has confirmed the patch is legit.

So there you go.

well done on sussing that out Graham :cool:. i honestly do not think Upperdeck were "bribed" etc etc to authenticate the card. they dont benfit at all from that im sure. theres no such thing, cos if there was im sure the whistleblowers wouldve come out by now.
as for accepting the card is legit, man i still am not 100% satisfied. at the moment, after ur post now im still thinking 60/40 the card has been altered (logoman inserted).
whats a shame is the fact that we may never ever know wether the card is 100% legit or not.
and i am pretty sure guys that Chris from UD who responded to graham really had no other choice but to verify that the card is legit. i say this cos if he WAS to confirm the patch is a FAKE, then there goes Beckett's WHOLE authentication service/process down the toilet. they'll lose all credibility with regards to their grading and authentication process. and i think NEVER will Beckett admit one of their "authenticated" cards ended up having a fake/altered patch. the intergrity of the whole company will be wiped out!
cos u gotta also remember, Beckett is basically the "middle man". in this case, all they do is authenticate/grade cards. they do not authenticate Memorabilia (i dont think so anyway. i know PSA do that stuff, "PSA/DNA Authenticated"). so if theres anyone that should know about this card, it MUST be Upper Deck. now that patch/jersey featured in the card was worn during the 1992 NBA All-Star game. one good way of MAYBE being able to tell its legitimacy (the logoman patch), is to compare an actual LOGOMAN patch from that year with the patch thats "authenticated". i know the actual LogoMen patches have changed mildy over the years. the old school ones look "smaller" (if that makes sense) and particularly have an "old look" about them. the patch in the MJ card here looks to be from one of the newer/recent LogoMen patches. what do u guys reckon, make sense???

ps. great discussion thread, good to see many people adding their own opinion and thoughts :thumbsup: :cool:.

heres a pic of the multicolour ones like graham was talking about, ive seen this and multicolour ones from like the pinstripes from a penny hardaway, couldnt say these were patch's tho due to the actual jersey being multicolour. But yeah for me (as a collector of this set and someone who follows sales pretty closely) i couldnt commit to buy unless there was something from UD, like steve said beckett are just the middle man here and would never admit anything that could doubt there business...

SAM_0693.jpg

Great post Steve, you make a very good point as to why UD would verify this as authentic even if they thought it was not.

I am not even sure a 92 All Star jersey will give us the answer, but it is all we have at this point as a true reference point...

nothing can be done to prove or disprove the authenticity of the card.

Well, you could swab the patch and look for Michael Jordan DNA. If it is there, then it is likely to be a Jordan worn patch, and much mor elikely to be real.

The auction Is over ... The Card Sold For $3,705. ... I really thought It would go higher than that.

The long-term collector is not going to risk big money over this card. I was close in my initial guess of $2 - $3k. Again i bet you that whoever the buyer is, most probably a novice in this hobby who has got too much money to burn. Agree with Ersk, for $40k, surely some kind of DNA testing showing that MJ has truely worn that jersey must be proven. I would never take a comment from an UD spokesperson as gospel. UD has done too much dodgy things in the past which was not neccessary in the interest of the hobby. Cheers Alex

Yep.... I'm sorry to say, but I also think it's still FAKE. Two logomen DO NOT just turn up like that after all these years of not being seen...... something fishy going on for sure.

Back
Top Bottom