Ask me anything about Cricket!

Keatoboy

Travis Head #34
Real Name
Keaton
eBay User
keatoboy
Hi all,

Thought it might be fun to make a thread where you can ask me any questions related to Cricket or cricket card/autograph collecting! :) Anything from opinions to favourite players and brands... You name it I'll answer it!

Feel free to drop a question whenever you like! :)

I look forward to answering some of your questions.

Cheers,
Keaton :D

Interesting thread idea :thumbsup: I'll give you a fairly controversial general cricket-related one: to walk or not to walk?
For me, it's got to be walk! I was given out 3 times on bad decisions season just gone, and 2 of them were from the only SACA accredited umpire in my competition! The first one I smashed the ground and he gave me out caught behind, and the other was an LBW shout that had a massive inside edge and would've gone down leg anyway. Had I known I was out I definitely would've just walked straight away. It might be a somewhat extreme example, but to me, knowing your out and waiting for the umpires decision is like shoplifting and waiting for the cops to catch you out. In saying that I don't have any less respect for people who wait for the umpire's decision, at the end of the day it could be the difference between winning and losing a match!

Cheers for the question Scott! :)

For me, it's got to be walk! I was given out 3 times on bad decisions season just gone, and 2 of them were from the only SACA accredited umpire in my competition! The first one I smashed the ground and he gave me out caught behind, and the other was an LBW shout that had a massive inside edge and would've gone down leg anyway. Had I known I was out I definitely would've just walked straight away. It might be a somewhat extreme example, but to me, knowing your out and waiting for the umpires decision is like shoplifting and waiting for the cops to catch you out. In saying that I don't have any less respect for people who wait for the umpire's decision, at the end of the day it could be the difference between winning and losing a match!

Cheers for the question Scott! :)
Wow, 3 times in one season. That's rough!

I'm with you. As you said, I reckon it's the right thing to do.

I have two questions i hope thats ok Keaton. Do you think the toss should go and with day/night test cricket getting more games will a very good batting average of 50+ now be 40+?

Why is the 1988/89 Scanlens/Stimorol set so hard to find? Lower print run? I'm flummoxed.
Hi Chris,

Obviously as a set gets older they become rarer and harder to find. However I believe this set is one of the biggest if not the biggest set Scanlens made, with most of their other sets being only 66 or 84 cards in size, whereas this one was 144. As there were more cards, it would have been a lot harder for someone to compile 1 set, let alone multiple spare sets. :)

I have two questions i hope thats ok Keaton. Do you think the toss should go and with day/night test cricket getting more games will a very good batting average of 50+ now be 40+?
"Do you think the toss should go?" No Michael, I believe it would be a ridiculous decision if the toss were to be abandoned. Whilst there are arguments towards having more even games with the away team having the overriding option against the home side. In my opinion, the toss is the only fair way to decide who does what first, after all, you can't argue with how a coin falls. What ever happened to the saying "Cricket is a game of chance"?? It's almost like they're trying to make it less of a game of chance, more a game of fairness.

"With day/night Test Cricket getting more games, will a very good batting average of 50+ now be 40+?" I think it's a little to early to be making that call. Considering we've only had 1 day/night test which was a low scoring game, it looks like a 50+ could become a 40+. However I think that as day/night matches become more prevalent on the international circuit, players will be forced to adapt to these conditions, and with that their averages will come back up as they learn how to handle day/night test conditions around the world.

Cheers for the great questions Michael! :)

So you think the 1988/89 Scanlens/Stimorol set is hard to find - I've got them all in VG+ Condition but...

Can you find someone else in the entire country who has a 1912 Henderson's Sweets (from Sydney NSW) 'Magic Photo' cricket card?

I have one in my collection, but its lonely & I'd love to see another one - meet the owner and see either a scan or it in the flesh!

Steve F.

So you think the 1988/89 Scanlens/Stimorol set is hard to find - I've got them all in VG+ Condition but...

Can you find someone else in the entire country who has a 1912 Henderson's Sweets (from Sydney NSW) 'Magic Photo' cricket card?

I have one in my collection, but its lonely & I'd love to see another one - meet the owner and see either a scan or it in the flesh!

Steve F.
Hi Steve,

I said the set is hard to find, not impossible to find.

Unfortunately I can't find another one of your Henderson's Sweets cards on the internet!! You're one very lucky bloke! :)

Keaton,

I've looked on the net for years for another Henderson's cricket card and never seen one - nor have I seen one in any of the major auction catalogues on cricket cards - Leski's, Joel's, Mossgreen, Cartophilic Auctions etc. I was hoping the post might prompt a private NSW collector who may have one!

Henderson's were based in Sydney pre WW1, taken over by James Stedman - the makers of the famous "Minties" brand lollies and who then in turn became Sweetacres, who put out lots of cards in the 1930's & 40's - including a few cricket sets.

Thanks for looking anyhow.

@Keatoboy:

1. What do you think has had the biggest impact on the imbalance between bat and ball in One Day cricket?
a. shorter boundaries, b. heavier bats or c. flatter pitches

2. Do you think that there is any way that a "World Championship" of Test cricket will get off the ground and/or succeed? Is it even necessary?

3. The ECB have changed the rules regarding the coin toss in County matches, whereby the visiting captain can elect to bowl first if they choose (and thus there will be no toss) or toss as normal if they are undecided whether to bat or bowl (and their fate would rest as normal with the correct "call" of heads or tails). Is this a good thing and could/should it be introduced into Shield cricket and eventually Test matches?

4. If there is one law you could change or remove completely from cricket, what would it be and why would you do it?

I have the set in absolute mint condition, but it consisted of buying lots and picking out all the mint cards to get there, I do have a lot of Scanlens Stimorol spares from all the series, but this was definitely the hardest to put together in complete mint condition, yet still a set that is MINT and I mean mint when I say it only goes for maybe $100 at best, correct me if I am wrong??, as I don't ebay hunt like I used too. The yellow set before it was shocking and if someone had a mint set of that it would be incredible due to the very poorly cut condition of cards. Some of them were cut badly down the sides, other down the bottom and edges, you get my drift.

So I wonder what does a 10/10 Mint set of the 88/89 144 Card Orange set got for now?

Hi Keaton and everyone,
This set is numbered /84 Im thinking its the 89/90 Scanlens set? Any ideas on value in the condition they are in (very good-mint)
IMG_3031.JPG

Also any idea what year these were from? I am guessing they came with Pura Milk one year and I have around 50 of them.

IMG_3032.JPG

Cheers,
Nick

Back
Top Bottom