The Australian cricket non-official thread!

In terms of financial assistance to NZ cricket I think CA should help out. To see a competitive NZ cricket team again on a consistent basis is wonderful, they are a good young team who have been very well led by McCullum. I also believe that we need a domestic NZ team in our domestic competition.

The umpires wouldn't have referred the Marsh decision if they didn't see the replay on the big screen. Was he out? Absolutely. Should the Unpires have been able to check it after seeing the replay? No. Neither umpire had shown any inclination to check prior to the replay, that was my point.

Smart play from McCullum (of whom I am a big fan) by being in ear shot of the Umpire when the ball was replayed and gently suggesting it be checked. I believe that the Kiwis could have referred it though as the catch was never in contention, the issue was whether or not the ball hit the ground before it hit Marsh's boot

Here's the process on bump balls in ODI's from the ICC website:

1. b) Bump Ball
    1. i) Should the bowler’s end umpire be unable to decide whether a catch was taken from a bump ball or not, he shall first consult with the square leg um- pire.

2. ii) Should both on-field umpires be unable to make a decision, the bowler’s end umpire shall be entitled to refer the decision to the third umpire to review a TV replay(s) of the batsman’s stroke as in paragraph 2.1 (b).

3. iii) The third umpire has to determine whether the ball was a bump ball or not. However, in reviewing the television replay(s), the third umpire shall first check the fairness of the delivery (all modes of No ball except for the bowler using an illegal action, [for clarity, a specific type of banned delivery can be reviewed and called no ball]) and whether the batsman has hit the ball. If the delivery was not a fair delivery or if it is clear to the third umpire that the batsman did not hit the ball he shall indicate that the batsman is not out and, in the case of an unfair delivery, advise the on-field umpire to signal no ball. See also paragraph 3.10 below. Additionally, if it is clear to the third umpire that the batsman is out by another mode of dismissal (excluding LBW), or not out by any mode of dismissal (excluding LBW), he shall notify the on-field umpire so that the correct decision is made.
iv) The third umpire shall communicate his decision by the system as in paragraph 2.1 (d).

According to McCullum in the press conference the umpires weren't sure that NZ had appealed and so didn't do anything, McCullum confirmed to them that Henry had appealed and also a few players in the field had as well. So the correct process was followed ... not ideal that the replay was shown, but meh, can't say it bothers me too much. I'd rather the correct call was made (than be on the other end of a Lyon debacle!).

CA should not financially support nz cricket.

That said we should be playing regular test series with them locked in. Seriously would anyone not have wanted a five test series against them this summer instead of WI? I would have.

I also think 2 nz sides in the shield, bbl and matador cup would be a great idea. It would give nz a spotlight in these comps and for shield give both countries experience on each others wickets all the time. At a minimum two nz sides in bbl would ramp up interest big time.

In terms of financial assistance to NZ cricket I think CA should help out. To see a competitive NZ cricket team again on a consistent basis is wonderful, they are a good young team who have been very well led by McCullum. I also believe that we need a domestic NZ team in our domestic competition.

I guess it's the ICC's job to do that. They did give NZ a targeted assistance grant of $2 million a few years ago when we were really struggling on the field. That was used to fund the NZ A side which has gone on plenty of tours recently and been a big part in the improved results of the side since then, imo.

I personally don't like the talk of NZ getting a few teams in the Big Bash or whatever. I think our domestic competitions are really strong and are definitely producing a lot of quality players at the moment. I'd stick with that set up and give them more resources if possible. Plenty disagree with that, though.

Here's the process on bump balls in ODI's from the ICC website:

According to McCullum in the press conference the umpires weren't sure that NZ had appealed and so didn't do anything, McCullum confirmed to them that Henry had appealed and also a few players in the field had as well. So the correct process was followed ... not ideal that the replay was shown, but meh, can't say it bothers me too much. I'd rather the correct call was made (than be on the other end of a Lyon debacle!).

Fair enough, I stand corrected but I will maintain that the matter would not have been referred if the replay hadn't been shown. The dismissal was correct but the method of the decision was odd, the ball must have been close to being dead.

I don't think the referrals should be placed solely in the hands of umpires however. With DRS as it stands I believe Unpires have gone a bit gun shy in making calls and if the option is there for them to review everything then the game will be slowed so much more.

I personally don't like the talk of NZ getting a few teams in the Big Bash or whatever. I think our domestic competitions are really strong and are definitely producing a lot of quality players at the moment. I'd stick with that set up and give them more resources if possible. Plenty disagree with that, though.

The Aussie domestic comp is regarded as the best in the world. Playing in a better standard on a more regular basis can only be a good thing right?

I guess it's the ICC's job to do that. They did give NZ a targeted assistance grant of $2 million a few years ago when we were really struggling on the field. That was used to fund the NZ A side which has gone on plenty of tours recently and been a big part in the improved results of the side since then, imo.

Re: nz in Australian comps

Am happy either way. If domestic nz comps are strong and everyone is happy keep it going, it's def working.

I think at a minimum Australia and nz should play tests every two years at a minimum and hype it to he'll like bledisloe or Anzac rl test.

Speaking of domestic matters, I see that three of the traditional grounds - the MCG, the SCG and Adelaide Oval - will not be available to host the Sheffield Shield final this season due to football commitments. New South Wales are yet to nominate their preferred venue.

The list of nominated venues is:

NSW - To be confirmed
QLD - Gabba
SA - Gliderol Stadium, Glenelg
TAS - Blundstone Arena
VIC - Traeger Park, Alice Springs
WA - WACA

In my view, this season will see the last Sheffield Shield Final. In an even home and away fixture, first past the post should be good enough to determine a winner anyway. If the BBL expands and the Matador One Day series remains part of the schedule, the issue regarding venues will keep arising - it is nonsensical that CA would allow Victoria to HOST a home final in Alice Springs! There are still four rounds of the Sheffield Shield to be played, with a ten-day gap between games (and eleven before the final) pushing the decider out to 26-30 March.

On another matter, the TV commentary team covering the New Zealand vs Australia Test series possess a rather peculiar affliction - they actually talk about the bloody cricket!
That said, it would be wrong of me not to share this meme - courtesy of @Keatoboy:

12715736_1024603497598960_1318542412791116224_n.jpg

"Trail by over 300 on the first innings....oh you'd better BELIEVE that's a paddlin'!" :)

Good old Smudger Smith has won the toss again! Australia will bowl first on what Cricinfo has described in its pre-match preview as a "greentop".

James Pattinson replaces Peter Siddle in the Australian team, while Neil Wagner replaces Mark Craig and Matt Henry replaces the injured Doug Bracewell.

Even as an Australian fan I am hoping that Brendon McCullum - who like Adam Gilchrist, bats for his team, not himself - can blaze a few (but not too many!) to and over the fence in what is his 101st and final Test match. All 101 have been played consecutively, an amazing statistic when you look at the workload and "management" of players these days.

In other news, Michael Clarke's "comeback" (just don't start me on this, please!!) begins today for Western Suburbs against Randwick Petersham in Sydney Grade cricket at Pratten Park. Just how long or how far the comeback lasts is anyone's guess.

Good old Smudger Smith has won the toss again! Australia will bowl first on what Cricinfo has described in its pre-match preview as a "greentop".

James Pattinson replaces Peter Siddle in the Australian team, while Neil Wagner replaces Mark Craig and Matt Henry replaces the injured Doug Bracewell.

Even as an Australian fan I am hoping that Brendon McCullum - who like Adam Gilchrist, bats for his team, not himself - can blaze a few (but not too many!) to and over the fence in what is his 101st and final Test match. All 101 have been played consecutively, an amazing statistic when you look at the workload and "management" of players these days.

In other news, Michael Clarke's "comeback" (just don't start me on this, please!!) begins today for Western Suburbs against Randwick Petersham in Sydney Grade cricket at Pratten Park. Just how long or how far the comeback lasts is anyone's guess.
Michael Clarke has been training at my school recently and I must admit, he is not in great shape. I've seen him get bowled out a few times against our first eleven bowler, most of whom play fourth or fifth grade.

Hats off to McCullum... Fastest test 100 of all time, beating Sir Viv, Gilly and Javed Minadad, just to name a few!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am invoking a 24-hour self-ban from the cricket forum, lest I say what I REALLY think about the bowling and tactics used by Australia in this second session of play....I think an early easter egg is in order, and/or a very fast-acting sedative!

See you tomorrow! :)

Michael Clarke has been training at my school recently and I must admit, he is not in great shape. I've seen him get bowled out a few times against our first eleven bowler, most of whom play fourth or fifth grade.
You can't blame him!!! He did make 48 today so I'd say that's pretty decent for his first game in a bit under a year, even if he rode his luck a bit much!!

Josh Hazlewood with a serious case of "Sooky Sooky, La La" before lunch this morning! I really detest how confrontational and disrespectful players are towards umpires after DRS referrals. It happened way back in the 2010 Boxing Day Test against England with Ricky Ponting and a handful of teammates surrounding Aleem Dar, and I hate that it still happens.

It's time for the ICC to rule that ONLY the captain can approach an on field umpire and ask for clarification following an unsuccessful DRS referral. Everyone else should f**k off out of it. If the captain oversteps the mark and is abusive or shows open dissent, then fine him and place him on a suspended one-match charge. One of the many failings of football (soccer) as a sport is the nonsensical manner in which it allows players to make contact with and belittle referees.

Cricket is heading down a very slippery slope at the moment in regards to player behaviour.

Martin Crowe has passed away after a battle with cancer.

A lovely man and a champion cricketer. Far to young to be gone.

Condolences to his family, friends, team mates and all that knew and watched him play an elegant brand of cricket.

@The Mad Hatter - I want to "like" but not "like" your post if you know what I mean.

The news itself is bloody awful but your sentiments are extremely well chosen. I remember the outpouring of emotion and sadness when Malcolm Marshall passed away in 1999, himself still a young man with lots of life to live.

Martin Crowe's international statistics:
5444 Test runs at an average of 45.36 with 17 centuries and a famous highest score of 299.
4704 ODI runs at an average of 38.55 with four centuries and 34 half-centuries.

As a young cricket fan you probably grow up "hating" everyone in the opposition because that's what you think you should do. It is why only years later - having watched the entire innings live on TV at the time as a then 15-year-old - that I can appreciate what Martin Crowe's unbeaten century in the 1992 World Cup opener against Australia actually MEANT to the team and the nation in general.

I didn't realise Martin Crowe was a board member at Souths since 2006. I knew he did a few promo things with the club when Rusty first took over, but didn't realise he was still on board.

Back
Top Bottom