2015 AFL Season Discussion

It was shattering news to wake up to this morning. :cry: Absolutely surreal and devastating. Rest In Peace Phil, thanks for everything you did for our great game.

Awesome tribute by both teams after tonight's game too, made for a terribly sad but beautifully powerful image.
I hope all the teams huddle up after there game and have a minutes silence.

Wow, it's been almost an entire month since we have had some activity in here. On a positive note, that does mean that Honours 2 has been extremely well received and people are buying/selling/trading!

A quick glimpse of the ladder:

1. Fremantle - 60 points
2. West Coast - 54
3. Hawthorn - 48
4. Sydney - 48
5. Western Bulldogs - 44
6. Richmond - 44
7. North Melbourne - 40
8. Geelong - 38

9. Adelaide - 38
10. GWS - 36
11. Collingwood - 32
12. Port Adelaide - 32
13. St Kilda - 24
14. Melbourne - 24
15. Essendon - 20
16. Carlton - 12
17. Gold Coast - 10
18. Brisbane - 8

For me, the Western Bulldogs (up) and Port Adelaide (down) have been the huge surprise packets. St Kilda and Melbourne (6 wins apiece) have probably been better than expected, while at the foot of the table Essendon, Carlton, Gold Coast and Brisbane have been largely dire for most of the season.

I think one of the pivotal games of 2015 will come on Saturday night - a West Coast win over Hawthorn would almost certainly shore up a dual WA top 2 finish, while a Hawthorn win and West Coast's next opponent (Fremantle) may give the Hawks and Swans a chance to grab second spot.

What does everyone think? Has your team gone better or worse than expected?

What does everyone think? Has your team gone better or worse than expected?

While I wasn't one who thought the world had ended when they lost Mackenzie and Brown, West Coast have done far better than I expected when they were in the side.

To go from 9th to 2nd, with the outs they've had, is phenomenal.

Its been great to see every commentator, who said the latest injury will be the tipping point, proven wrong. :D

While I wasn't one who thought the world had ended when they lost Mackenzie and Brown, West Coast have done far better than I expected when they were in the side.

To go from 9th to 2nd, with the outs they've had, is phenomenal.

Its been great to see every commentator, who said the latest injury will be the tipping point, proven wrong. :D
Your last point rings true in general - two weeks ago, the game was apparently stuffed and varying rule changes were needed. This weeks high scores show how reactionary and sensationalist the football media is.

Yes! My god I'm sick to death of Healy and Co. banging on about needing rule changes, but every time they tinker with the game they find more to complain about!

Just leave it alone and it will evolve on its own.

Exactly! In order of highest to lowest, the winning scores this week were: 171 points (Adelaide), 153 (Bulldogs), 138 (Richmond), 131 (Brisbane), 121 (Hawthorn), 120 (North Melbourne), 111 (Port Adelaide), 104 (West Coast) and 87 (Sydney).

The game sorts itself out, as you quite rightly said @Lazlow.

In other news, Chris Masten is the subject of an AFL investigation following an alleged biting incident against Nick Suban yesterday. I think Alex Silvagni is in for a fair holiday for his elbow on Jamie Cripps, it looked bloody awful.

Also congratulations to west coast, I'm not going to go on with boring excuses like 'the umpires favoured you' or 'we weren't trying'. At the end of the day we were comfortably embarrassed by a team that outclassed.

Adcock wanted to know his future before the end of the season, and now he knows.

Lions have told him he won't be guaranteed a spot next year, with word they're heading down a youth rebuild.

No doubt Leuenberger will be joining, as well as the Lions having another crack at offloading Daniel Merritt

I hope Hawthorn sign James Sicily on for the next few years (and for the rest of his playing days). He is at a brilliant club where he can perfect his craft. I hope he isn't persuaded by a rival club or any other club to be part of false hopes.

James Kelly and Mathew Stokes will play their final games for Geelong this weekend.

I've heard differing reports but it seems like they'll be retiring from the AFL full stop.

Join Blease, McIntosh and Rivers as confirmed to be leaving the club after 2015.

Kelly's groin region injury earlier in the year must of hurt like hell. On a serious note well done to him and stokes if they retire. Geelong will miss them. Smedts is in for a big pre season I would of thought.

The topic of resting players seems pretty divisive. Personally I'm not a fan. You put your best team out each week, that's what the punters and networks pay for, and that's what they're paid for. The potential for it to influence finals match ups, fixtures for next year, draft order and end of year awards is too great.

And I'm curious how Peel fans are feeling, with their side losing up to 11 players heading into a qualifying final. Funnily enough this match also has massive repercussions for Channel 7 in Perth. Season long they have steadfast refused to broadcast any West Perth games, as the Falcons are sponsored by Channel 9 and wear the stations logo. Channel wanted it removed whenever they broadcast a West Perth game, and West Perth refused as the sponsorship has been in place since March 2014, when the ABC used to air WAFL games. If West Perth beats Peel, they advance further and the stand off becomes even trickier as Channel 7 have to decide between sticking to their guns and not showing parts of a finals series, or relenting and allow the logo to be seen on their network.

Back
Top Bottom