The Australian cricket non-official thread!

Not long to go now lads until the first test :). It is sure to be a busy Wednesday night with Origin, Ashes and the Footy show all on the same night.

On another note, how is everyone feeling about the Day/Night test match to be played this year against NZ?

I don't mind that they are trying this, however, test matches should stay in the traditional mould of being played in the day.

Mate, I can see no logical reason why Test cricket should be played at night - the over rates are appalling in international cricket so if the game was to start at 2:00pm AEST the play would conceivably finish at 9:30pm. That just doesn't sit right with me. ODI cricket does that anyway. The benefit of three different formats is the three different timeslots, to cater for different types of supporters. Mitchell Starc was an outspoken critic of the idea last week.

My First Test XI:

1. Warner
  2. Rogers
  3. Smith
  4. Clarke
  5. Voges / S Marsh (probably S Marsh for mine)
  6. M Marsh
  7. Haddin
  8. Starc
  9. Johnson
  10. Hazelwood
  11. Lyon

Agree! Though I believe Adam Voges is by far the better fit at number 5, Shaun Marsh is the incumbent so to speak. Not long to go now!

Oh no!

Ryan Harris has just announced his retirement from all forms of cricket effective immediately, citing that scans in London yesterday on his troubled knee would've ruled him out of the whole Ashes series.

He was a late bloomer, with an extremely decorated and entertaining career!

Thanks for the memories Ryno! :)

Harris has been a champion. Sad to see him retire. But at 35 and with his history of knee trouble, it is hardly surprising. When he didn't play vs Essex I thought it was a sign TBH and was only confirmed last night.

Wow, what a great comparison:

Bruce Reid - 27 Tests, 113 wickets, 24.63 average
Ryan Harris - 27 Test, 113 wickets, 23.52 average

Both cruelled by debilitating injuries, yet both with remarkable records.

Let's remember Rhino at his best (in my opinion anyway) - during the 2013/14 Ashes series.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpm3mZE1Rh8

Last edited:
Okie dokie folks - what are our series predictions (and thoughts/reasons behind them?)

I am predicting a 2-1 win to England - thus, the urn will return to the Old Dart. I am not convinced that Australia's batting will be able to cope, which has been a recurring theme during the last three tours. The bowling attacks probably balance each other out, Michael Clarke is obviously a far better captain than Alastair Cook, but the batting is where I think the series will be lost.

I think that England have a previously-unseen advantage in the #7 batting spot with Jos Buttler against Brad Haddin and that his destructive batting can change the course of a match.

Would love to hear your thoughts!!

Tell em they dreaming(haha)
I believe we have a settled batting line unlike the poms who have some new faces and I think our bowling attack is far better than there's and to say our batsmen will struggle i think is wrong,correct me if I am wrong but a lot of our current batsmen have recent experience in England.
Hope to see some great cricket and predict a 3-1 win Australia

1 more sleep! :kick:

I think the Aussies will win 2-1. I think batting is fairly even, both sides have a mixture of experience and young guns. Our batting maybe slightly better, but balanced by the fact England obviously have plenty more experience in their conditions. I agree with Matt in that England need Buttler firing, he is their wildcard. One thing he will need to do is bat well with the tail, something England are traditionally pretty weak at compared to Australia.

I think our bowling is weakened somewhat by the loss of Harris, and I'm still not completely convinced by Starc. I have a feeling he could have a Johnson-2009-esque tour (I really hope I'm wrong, and he did bowl well in the tour matches, but it's just a gut feeling!). Lyon will need to bowl exceptionally well to take advantage of any spin in the wickets, needs to have a 25 wicket-plus series I reckon. And there always seem to be a couple of draws (reasonable chance of one in the First Test at Cardiff, we made almost 700 there in 2009).

Typing that has made me excited again. Bring it on!

Hi everyone just a bit of a poser on the eve of the ashes,will Australia play it safe and pick Watson on experience or go for the form man in Mitch Marsh

Reflecting on 14 years ago... when we last won an ashes series in England.....

On the 27th August 2001 the Ashes Urn was held high by Steve Waugh, arguably our grittiest captain of the modern era. This fifth ashes test was held at The Oval, London and a victory by the Australian's by an innings and 25 runs saw the Aussies crush the Poms with a 4 to 1 series win. The Aussie captain led in this game with an unbeaten 157 supported by his fellow "willowmen", "Alfie or JL" Justin Langer 102* (retired hurt), "Junior" Mark Waugh 120, "Haydos" Matt Hayden 68, "Punter" Ricky Ponting 62 and "Marto" Damien Martyn 64. They amassed a mammoth 4/641 declared.

The Aussies then rolled the Poms in their first dig for 432 ( Noteable - Ramprakash 133 ) with none other than Shane Warne taking 7 wickets. "Tugga" then enforced the follow on (I was so surprised with this as Tugga loved grinding the opposition down), and the Aussies wreaked havoc with the ball cleaning the Poms up for 184 sealing the test and series win. McGrath picked up 5 and Warne supported at the other end with 4..... 11 wickets for the match for Warne.

It was a resounding series victory for the Aussies and one in which we dominated with both bat and ball.... Some stats for you

Most runs
Mark Butcher (456)
Mark Waugh (430)
Damien Martyn (382)
Adam Gilchrist (340)
Marcus Trescothick (321)
Mark Ramprakash (318)

Most wickets
Glenn McGrath (32)
Shane Warne (31)
Jason Gillespie (19)
Darren Gough (17)
Andrew Caddick (15)
Alex Tudor (7)

Mark Butcher and Glenn McGrath shared the honours of player of the series.

So, after my reflection on the past, which honestly feels like 5 years ago not 14, even though I have moved 3 times and had 2 children, lol.. I guess to the discussion of who is going to win...

Well, as you can see above, the BALL won us the series imho .... or should I say Pigeon and Warne did ! Do we have the strike power now ? I say yes... Johnson is bowling quick, very quick and Starc will swing the older ball and Hazelwood will hit his length just like Pigeon did. We need Lyons to get 20+ in the series to support the quicks.. he is capable.... just give it a bit more flight Gazza... let the ball work for you champ !!

Smith will continue his form, Pup will show us how and why he is considered one of the best test batsman over the last 5 years (I am praising him again like I have since making 151 on debut way back 10 years ago....infact earlier when I watched him playing for NSW then Australia A.... I needed a Steve Waugh replacement lol!! ). Warner will be hot and cold, Rogers will be solid, hope Voges gets a cap or 4... he is in stellar form... Watson will be watched like a hawk... Marsh boys have to be given a go.... especially Mitch.... Shaun needs to grab any chance with a big 100.... his in and out of the team reminds me of a young Matt Hayden.... back to State cricket, get more runs, get given another go until finally !

So.... With hand on heart, a quick prayer, donning of my Baggy Green, salute to Phil Hughes and a huge Leyton sized "Cmonnnnnnnnnnnnnn", I will back the Aussies to get home 3 games to 1. I want the boys to win this for eachother and I want them to send Pup off ( we win, he retires) with what even our great Punter couldn't do, an ashes win in England !!

Go you good thing!! up the Aussies :thumbsup:

Enjoy your cricket boys n girls.

Cheers Damian :D

Just in regards to sledges, I think it was either Cullinan or Cronje taking Merv apart in South Africa in 1994.

After being hit again, Merv walks down the pitch, breaks wind and speaks to the batsman.

"See if you can hit that for four."

Low brow but amusing nonetheless.

Just in regards to sledges, I think it was either Cullinan or Cronje taking Merv apart in South Africa in 1994.

After being hit again, Merv walks down the pitch, breaks wind and speaks to the batsman.

"See if you can hit that for four."

Low brow but amusing nonetheless.
I remember that one, merv was always good for some banter
Oh how I miss some of the characters of years gone by

Eng win toss; will bat.

England: Alastair Cook (c), Adam Lyth, Gary Ballance, Ian Bell, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler, Moeen Ali, Stuart Broad, Mark Wood, James Anderson.

Australia: David Warner, Chris Rogers, Steve Smith, Michael Clarke (c), Adam Voges, Shane Watson, Brad Haddin (wk), Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom