NFL Discussion Thread. (SPOILERS)

There has also been plenty of rumor about the Raiders signing Rodney Hudson to make him one of the highest paid centers in the game, but I have seen nothing official since FA became "official" as of yet. Would make a very good signing considering he is rated as a top 5 center and a big upgrade from Wisniewski.

Hudson to Raiders is a done deal too..

How is everyone feeling about how their teams have gone? I'm pretty happy with the Raiders signings so far.

Hudson is still very young (only 25) so has a good 8-years or so in him being on the OL. Plus he is a big upgrade over Wisniewski.

Dan Williams, is going to clog the middle of the field and should be able to build a nice rotation with Jelly keeping both guys fresh.

Malcolm Smith will compete for a starting job at with Moore (who has shown glimpses of being very good himself) and at very least is going to be a very solid backup LB who can play all 3 spots.

Lofton hopefully will be a tackling machine in the middle of the defense, and has the experience making the calls, something Burris was terrible at!

Love the Helu signing and am hearing the Ryan Matthews could also be added (has not yet signed his Eagles contract and may not now that Murray looks to be signing with them) which would make for a very nice deep core of guys at RB.

Just added Nate Allen also, who should be a starter at FS alongside Woodson at SS.

Hopefully they can add Red Bryant for more beef on the DL, a pass rusher (wouldn't mind seeing the team take a gamble on Hardy with an incentive loaded contract), another guy for the OL (really hoping they trade for Mathis from the Eagles) and a TE or solid WR.

How is everyone feeling about how their teams have gone? I'm pretty happy with the Raiders signings so far.

Hudson is still very young (only 25) so has a good 8-years or so in him being on the OL. Plus he is a big upgrade over Wisniewski.

Dan Williams, is going to clog the middle of the field and should be able to build a nice rotation with Jelly keeping both guys fresh.

Malcolm Smith will compete for a starting job at with Moore (who has shown glimpses of being very good himself) and at very least is going to be a very solid backup LB who can play all 3 spots.

Lofton hopefully will be a tackling machine in the middle of the defense, and has the experience making the calls, something Burris was terrible at!

Love the Helu signing and am hearing the Ryan Matthews could also be added (has not yet signed his Eagles contract and may not now that Murray looks to be signing with them) which would make for a very nice deep core of guys at RB.

Just added Nate Allen also, who should be a starter at FS alongside Woodson at SS.

Hopefully they can add Red Bryant for more beef on the DL, a pass rusher (wouldn't mind seeing the team take a gamble on Hardy with an incentive loaded contract), another guy for the OL (really hoping they trade for Mathis from the Eagles) and a TE or solid WR.

Draft for the WRs?

The Ravens has been interesring for me. Like the forsett resigning as long as the run block scheme is similar. All I can really say is in Ozzie we trust lol. The extra picks for ngata I like as Ozzie can move around the draft now or hopefully keep finding gems

Draft for the WRs?

The Ravens has been interesring for me. Like the forsett resigning as long as the run block scheme is similar. All I can really say is in Ozzie we trust lol. The extra picks for ngata I like as Ozzie can move around the draft now or hopefully keep finding gems

Yeah I think a WR will definitely be taken within the first two rounds. I only go see two reasons why they wouldn't take a WR in the first round - either Leonard Williams is still available and is too good to say no too (like Mack last year) or they receive an offer to trade down that they can't say no too. If they do go WR in the first it will be interesting to see who they take - the safer, lower risk but probably lower ceiling player in Cooper; or the bigger risk, yet probably higher potential / ceiling in White.

Ngata trade didn't surprise me too much. A $16 mil cap hit for the 30+ big man, something was bound to happen (as much as it sucks seeing a guy like that leave the team). Ozzie seems to know when it's time to let a player go - not very often has a "big name" FA been let to walk from the Ravens and done a whole lot for their new team (I am actually struggling to think of one!)

Yeah I couldn't really name one (well not one they drafted). Love Leonard williams ,have already proclaimed him my new pc next season lol (well unless I dabble in the sage cards when they release lol).

As a Cowboys fan, I'm super worried. Not because we still can't get a deal (which I believe he fully deserves) done for Dez and not because we let our league leading rusher walk to a divisional rival. I'm worried because our makeshift defence had three linebackers hit free agency and as of right now, two have departed. I'm super disappointed Bruce Carter left. If we don't resign Rolando McClain, we will only be left with a couple of linebackers on the roster including the fragile Sean Lee. I'm really annoyed that Romo's ridiculous contract is f@&$ing shit up for us.

Yeah I couldn't really name one (well not one they drafted). Love Leonard williams ,have already proclaimed him my new pc next season lol (well unless I dabble in the sage cards when they release lol).

Yeah I will definitely be picking myself up a Williams or two, especially if he is drafted by the Raiders!

As a Cowboys fan, I'm super worried. Not because we still can't get a deal (which I believe he fully deserves) done for Dez and not because we let our league leading rusher walk to a divisional rival. I'm worried because our makeshift defence had three linebackers hit free agency and as of right now, two have departed. I'm super disappointed Bruce Carter left. If we don't resign Rolando McClain, we will only be left with a couple of linebackers on the roster including the fragile Sean Lee. I'm really annoyed that Romo's ridiculous contract is f@&$ing s*** up for us.

I think with the OL that the Cowboys have built up, they are going to have a very good rushing game regardless at least. The defense is a bit of a worry, but I am thinking McClain will be re-signed. It wouldn't surprise me either to see the Cowboys go defense for a lot of the draft. There looks to be a couple quality MLB prospects in the late first / second round of the draft - Eric Kendricks, Denzel Perryman and Paul Dawson are all possibilities. I wonder too, if the Cowboys will look for a QB in the middle rounds to groom as a replacement for Romo in a couple years.

Yeah I will definitely be picking myself up a Williams or two, especially if he is drafted by the Raiders!

I think with the OL that the Cowboys have built up, they are going to have a very good rushing game regardless at least. The defense is a bit of a worry, but I am thinking McClain will be re-signed. It wouldn't surprise me either to see the Cowboys go defense for a lot of the draft. There looks to be a couple quality MLB prospects in the late first / second round of the draft - Eric Kendricks, Denzel Perryman and Paul Dawson are all possibilities. I wonder too, if the Cowboys will look for a QB in the middle rounds to groom as a replacement for Romo in a couple years.
Agree totally with the draft strategy. Thought we may have been looking at running backs until we signed McFadden. Now it's totally defence. Never thought I'd be saying that I'm praying we resign McClain.

Anyone think white goes to the Titans at 2? Apparently his only visit. I could handle Leonard Williams in jags or raiders colours lol. And rumours of the 49ers trying to move up for cooper I can't really see happening.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the visits players make. Look at previous drafts and it's not uncommon at all for a team to draft players that they have not had visits with, especially the first couple rounds. I think most teams use their visits more for guys they may target later in the lower rounds and/or to target potential rookie free agents.

Might be on interest to some, the CFL are making some pretty interesting rule changes to spice up the contest a bit.

Point after kicks are being moved back from the 12 yard line to the 32 yard line, however, two point attempts will be moved forward from the 5 yard line to the 3 yard mark. Last season point after kicks had a near 100% success rate, and only 23 two point attempts were made, with only 7 successful. So this is to encourage more two point attempts while making kicks a little harder (remembering CFL goalposts kept their rugby roots and are at the front of the endzone, unlike the NFL)

There was a proposal to trial in the pre-season a three point conversion if they attempted it from the 10 yard line, however this was rejected.

The other major change is defenders can now only make contact with receivers within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage - though its still to be specified whether they'll allow hand fighting outside this. Obvious intention is to open up the passing game.

Other changes were made to punts to cut down on infractions. "No yards" penalties will now be added to the return, rather than a choice of either, and on punts the five interior lineman are now prohibited from leaving the line of scrimmage until the ball is kicked, to reduce the number of illegal blocks and no yard penalties. (fyi CFL doesn't have a fair catch rule. Players behind the kicker are onside, and those in front are offside. Offside players can't be within 5 yards of the player receiving the ball before he catches it, otherwise a "no yards" penalty is called. Only onside players can contest the ball and down it).

Lastly some changes were made to improve the tempo. Offense can now at any time signal to ref its not making a substitute, and wants to use a tempo offense, rather than having to wait for the defence to make a substitution, thus giving the offense greater control of the tempo, and coaches can no longer request a measurement, only the refs can measure a first down.

Just a heads up gents, Panini have updated the Rewards site with some nice new stuff, I've just picked up a Philip Rivers Select Patch auto for the PC!!
Holy crap, I just had a look! They have all my Zack Martins! Now I need a heap of points. Anyone have any they're looking to move along??

Back
Top Bottom