NFL Discussion Thread. (SPOILERS)

I hope Hayne does make it.

I'm not a Parra or 49ers fan, but the bloke is giving it a go.

He could of stayed in league earning $500k + a season but he chose to take a risk.

He may not have the experience but he has instinct and I think that could play in his favour.

Even if he is 3rd string or just special teams it's still more than anyone else has done.

Interesting... Lions cut Bush, Hayne heads to the 49ers :cautious:

Good luck to him, the odds are massively against him.

But he's a project, would be well aware of this, and they could potentially keep him on the practise roster to see if can be up to speed for the 2016 season.

Even if he is 3rd string or just special teams it's not less than anyone else has done.

Fixed :D

I hope Hayne does make it.

I'm not a Parra or 49ers fan, but the bloke is giving it a go.

He could of stayed in league earning $500k + a season but he chose to take a risk.

He may not have the experience but he has instinct and I think that could play in his favour.

Even if he is 3rd string or just special teams it's still more than anyone else has done.

I hope it does stick too, but it's not like he isn't getting paid while trying out. He is on a guaranteed $100k USD contract which isn't exactly chump change (although over there as a player it is)! If he makes it to the final 53 as a special teams ace (kick returner and punting gunner) on a minimum salary he would still be earning close to $500k Aus

The fact Hayne was signed as an unrestricted free agent on a 3 year deal instead of a futures deal has to be a better odds for him as far as sticking around longer than one pre season doesn't it?. At least it shows the 49ers are at this stage willing to put a bit of time into developing him. I would like to see him make it.

Hayne got a mention on NFL Live this arvo, even if it was a 30 second back and forth to close out the show. Also an article on NFL.com, so it's certainly generated a little interest in the community. Seems he's going to get a pretty decent opportunity to shine.
The odds aren't great, there's plenty of things beyond his control that can go wrong, but he's giving it everything and that's all he can do.

Seems lopsided to me. I understand McCoy is on decent coin and it will help with the salary cap but the Eagles don't seem to be getting much for him. Alonso is coming off missing a season with a busted ACL too.

If kiko comes back as good as his rookie year (even 2 years) the deal could even out. Guess we will see how good the Kelly system is.

A few big trades today!

Jimmy Smith and a fourth round pick to the Seahawks for Max Unger and a first round pick.

Ravens send Haloti Ngata to the Lions for fourth and fifth round picks.

Rams sending Sam Bradford to the Eagles for Nick Foles with exchanging of draft picks (have not seen what the draft picks are yet)

Yeah, bit of a surprise that one...Foles for Bradford... Seems Sam didn't want to take a pay cut, even after being paid millions the past couple of years for no real return...would have thought he'd come to the party, but hey, this is the NFL "Not For Long" I guess...

We also brought back Case Keenum to fight for the back up spot...

Jim Thomas just tweeted details -

Jim Thomas @jthom1 · 16m 16 minutes ago

Eagles get Bradford, a 5th-round pick from St. L this year, in exchange for Foles, a 4th-rounder this year, & 2nd-ronder in 16.
Second-rounder is conditional; only if Bradford is the starter.

I thought Foles would have been worth more than Bradford based on the higher contract value and how injury prone Bradford has the past few years. Looks to me like the Rams made out a lot better than the Eagles (at the moment anyway!) I am assuming Mariota may no longer be a target for the Eagles?

Revis to Jets

Helu to Raiders

I like the Helu signing. A very good third down back who is a great receiver and has averaged a solid 4.4 ypc who could start in a pinch due to injury for only a not much more over 2-years than what MJD earned this year. Very good pickup!

There has also been plenty of rumor about the Raiders signing Rodney Hudson to make him one of the highest paid centers in the game, but I have seen nothing official since FA became "official" as of yet. Would make a very good signing considering he is rated as a top 5 center and a big upgrade from Wisniewski.

Also, surprised Suh and Dolphins has not been confirmed officially yet. From what I have seen, the Dolphins are scared of signing him now and facing a hefty fine and possible loss of draft pick for agreeing to a contract prior to FA officially starting. Fingers crossed the Raiders can swoop in and nab him :thumbsup:

The Bradford trade is a bit of mind bender, the 2016 pick is conditional:

If Bradford starts 8 games or more, Rams get Eagles 2016 2nd rounder. If he starts less, Philly gets Rams' 4th round. If he gets re-injured, Eagles get Rams' 3rd round pick. In other words, Rams are pretty much guaranteed to give up a 2016 NFL Draft pick.

"If Bradford starts 8 games or more, Rams get Eagles 2016 2nd rounder. If he starts less, Philly gets Rams' 4th round."

I wonder how the wording in these trades is exactly. Like if Bradford remained healthy for the whole season, and the Eagles were to start Bradford for 7 games, and then for the last 9 games have the backup QB technically "start" for the first series, before putting Bradford in for the rest of the game, how that would go down.

They could I suppose, but don't think the team would really want the media and fans grilling them as to why they named the back up as the starter if Bradford was playing okay, even if it did save them a pick!!

Back
Top Bottom