The road to season 2015

No collingwood, essendon, hawthorn or Richmond. Disastrous result for resellers or those who grabbed cards in bulk. If no significant movement come rookie draft I can see this series being a massive flop

It's gonna cost me now being melbourne I already have stretch red and green petracca and brayshaw need both red and greens

To updated our Future Force list after todays Drafts

FFRS1 JARROD PICKETT - Pick #4 GWS
FFRS2 CLEM SMITH - Pick #60 Carlton
FFRS3 LACHLAN WELLER - Pick #13 Fremantle
FFRS4 JADEN McGRATH - Pick #73 Brisbane
FFRS5 BRADLEY WALSH - RD CARLTON
FFRS6 LIAM DUGGAN - Pick #11 West Coast
FFRS7 ISAAC HEENEY - Pick #18 Sydney
FFRS8 BILLY STRETCH - Pick #42 Melbourne
FFRS9 LIAM GRIFFITHS - Undrafted
FFRS10 NAKIA COCKATOO - Pick #10 Geelong
FFRS11 JACKSON NELSON - Pick #51 West Coast
FFRS12 ANGUS BRAYSHAW - Pick #3 Melbourne
FFRS13 RYAN LIM - Undrafted
FFRS14 PATRICK MCCARTIN - Pick #1 St Kilda
FFRS15 LIAM DAWSON - Pick #44 Brisbane
FFRS16 DANIEL CAPRION - Undrafted
FFRS17 JERMAINE MILLER-LEWIS - RD HAWTHORN
FFRS18 JAKE LEVER - Pick #14 Adelaide
FFRS19 MARC BOWER - Undrafted
FFRS20 Tom Lamb - Pick #32 West Coast
FFRS21 NICHOLAS COUGHLAN - Undrafted
FFRS22 MATTHEW AH SIU - Undrafted
FFRS23 HUGH GODDARD - Pick #21 St Kilda
FFRS24 MATTHEW HAMMELMANN - RD BRISBANE
FFRS25 JESSE WATCHMAN - Undrafted
FFRS26 SAM DURDIN - Pick #16 North Melbourne
FFRS27 CHRISTIAN PETRACCA - Pick #2 Melbourne
FFRS28 SAM DEVAN - Undrafted
FFRS29 PETER WRIGHT - Pick #8 Gold Coast
FFRS30 SEAN McCLAREN - Undrafted
FFRS31 DUOM DAWAM - Undrafted

@Scotty_WCE what's your thoughts on the other teams in the competition. Personally I think Richmond may find themselves in an inconsistent whirlpool of win/loss
Yes thank you for reminding me. In the last few weeks I've had "real life" things take over (such as study :mad:) take over, but I do intend on finish the season previews and also the milestones. I'll be putting the next one up today sometime!

Day 81 (106 days to go)

Firstly, once again my sincere apologies for my lack of activity within this thread recently. Will try and up my game!

Richmond 2015 Season Preview

In recent times hearing the word Richmond evokes thoughts of words such as 'disappointment', 'failure' and 'ninth' (this one perhaps a little unfairly). In 2013 and 2014 that has changed to an extent, with an 8th place finish giving Tigers fans cause to celebrate for the first time in ages. But two consecutive elimination final losses leaves a feeling of unfulfilled goals. Can they go one, two or even three better in 2015?

I don't think so. I still feel they don't have the firepower or depth to be a force in 2015. Captain Cotchin's form has not been great since 2011, and for the Tigers to have any chance of realistically competing he needs to seriously lift his game. He needs to lead from the front and inspire his fellow midfielders to be braver and fight harder; they need to play like they really want to play finals.

Down back the Tiges look to be in fairly decent shape. Alex Rance had a fine 2014 and was rewarded with All Australian selection. Nick Vlastuin looks like he could be a future gun. Newman has loads of experience. Chaplin, Houli, Grimes and Morris are also more than capable. They have depth in players such as Dea, Astbury and Batchelor. No problems here.

Now to the midfield, and here is the main reason for the inconsistency of the Tigers in recent years. They haven't been able to find a solid midfield who you can count on 22 rounds a year. I touched on Cotchin earlier, and Deledio is still fairly reliable. But there are two key names for not just next year, but the long-term future: Ellis and Martin. If these two players with so much obvious potential can just gain a little consistency, the Richmond midfield will look formidable for the first time in a fair while. But can they do that? It remains to be seen.

There seem to be some problems up forward. Jack Riewoldt can be hot and cold; when he's hot, though, he's really hot. He needs to score 65+ goals next year. But after Riewoldt, the river of scoring appears to run dry. Chris Knights can be handy support, Vickery has his days occasionally, Martin can have exciting bursts forward. But they really seem to be a one-man band up forward. It will be interesting to see if someone can step up to help out Jack.

So what does that mean for the Tigers in 2015? I think another year of disappointment, unfortunately. They'll need everyone to step up significantly to challenge for the top 8. If someone other than Riewoldt can score more than 40 goals, perhaps they will be a finals smokie. But I feel the Tigers could treat this as one more year to really push the development of the younger players, with an eye on a Grand Final appearance within the next three years or so; not all together impossible...

Predictions:

B&F: Jack Riewoldt
Most Brownlow votes: Trent Cotchin (13)
Most goals: Jack Riewoldt (68)
Most improved: Reece Conca
Position: 10th

Tomorrow: St Kilda

Day 82 (105 days to go)

St Kilda 2015 Season Preview

The Saints added another wooden spoon to their 'award' cabinet in 2014, in an extremely disappointing year. St Kilda are well and truly in the middle of a development period, and this will extend into 2015 before they can even think about challenging for the finals.

Lenny Hayes and Nick Riewoldt have carried the Saints for many years, but now one has retired and the other can't be too far away from hanging up the boots, despite still displaying decent form. This means they need players who have been around for long enough to really step it up and display some leadership; players such as Gilbert, Fisher, Dempster need to support captain Riewoldt and assist in marshalling the young players.

How do their lines look? Down back, they have enough experience with players such as the three mentioned above having contributed adequately for a few years how. The Saints, though, will be hoping for one of them to have an All Australian quality year, while developing the backbone of their future defence, for example Delaney, Roberton, Webster and Simpkin.

Now that the heart and soul of the Saints midfield has retired, it will be up to Leigh Montagna to lead the way. He has the ability to have huge games and rack up a load of disposals, he'll be hoping to exhibit this more frequently in 2015. Who should they be aiming to develop for the future? I think Billings, Templeton, Ross and Dunstan have very bright futures ahead of them. They have the potential to be the spine of the team to lead the Saints to just their second premiership, in around five or so years time.

But perhaps the part of the ground with the most reason for optimism is up forward. It's a real shame Riewoldt won't be playing for too much longer, because if he could play for five years with number one draft pick Patrick McCartin, they would probably be the most lethal combination in the game. As it is he will have a great opportunity to develop his game with Nick, and appears to be a ready made replacement. It will be interesting to follow Ahmed Saad; I think he deserves a second chance and hope he can make the most of it.

Sorry Saints fans; I think you will improve in 2015, but not enough to creep off the bottom of the ladder. But if they can get their drafting right for the next couple of years and the young guns come along nicely, perhaps they could be a real force within three or four years? I'm sure that's what they'll be aiming for.

Predictions:

B&F: Leigh Montagna
Most Brownlow votes: Leigh Montagna (20)
Most goals: Nick Riewoldt (51)
Most improved: Sebastian Ross

Tomorrow: Sydney

Day 83 (104 days to go)

Sydney 2015 Season Preview

The anticipation leading up to 2014 was huge in Sydney: Buddy Franklin had just moved north and 2014 appeared to be a huge chance for a second premiership in three years. All appeared to be going well when they were slight favourites heading into the Grand Final, but an extremely disappointing performance left Swans supporters shattered. Can they bounce back in 2015?

Well, they've certainly got the squad to do so. They've got a mixture of young and old, tall and small, quick and clever, and they look strong on every line. One then has to answer the question: why did Sydney play so poorly on the last Saturday in September this year? It is my belief that is was a combination of the Hawks simply playing too well, but also a slight lack of will to win. I believe this will be rectified next year as the Grand Final loss will prove to be the motivation for a strong 2015.

As usual, to the lines. Nick Smith was the shining light this year, culminating in an All Australian selection following an outstanding 2014 season. Perhaps one of the most underrated players in the comp, he was the player who provided the example to follow. This is quite a feat, with experienced players such as Richards, Shaw and Grundy also providing leadership down back.

The Swans midfield is "delicious". They have a core group of proven guns in Kennedy, K Jack and Hannebery who will be around for years to come. Then you've got Parker, Mitchell, B Jack and Cunningham who will benefit greatly from being around the older guys. The Sydney midfield looks to be in good hands for the medium-to-long-term future.

And yet up forward the Swans are arguably the strongest: it may have come about through some controversy, but a Franklin-Tippett-Goodes-Reid combination is lethal. I've seen very few players who come close to matching Franklin's X-Factor. It's hard to emphasise how much of a freak he is. Tippett is no slouch either, Reid has ten good seasons ahead of him and Goodes, well, controversy may follow him but you can't argue he's not one of the greatest the modern games has seen. His longevity matched with his skill means he is a certain future Hall of Famer. I'm sure all Swans supporters will want him to go out on a high in what is likely to be his final season.

Yes, there is a lot to like about the Swans in 2015. Personally I can't wait for next season because I expect the Hawks, Port and Sydney to be fighting for the top two spots and games between these teams should be absolute rippers!

Predictions:

B&F: Daniel Hannebery
Most Brownlow votes: Lance Franklin (19)
Most goals: Lance Franklin (79)
Most improved: Lewis Jetta
Position: 1st

Tomorrow: West Coast

Back
Top Bottom