PHIL HUGHES IN CRITICAL CONDITION

So hard to take in. So easy to say now but why don't they wear the same helmets in Sheffield Shield as they do in Test Matches? Obviously to save money but this is just a freak freak accident so I don't know what to say and really no one is to blame, just looking for something, some reason, some answer. Just devastating. He would of played next week with the form he was showing. Fark It

I think it is worthwhile revisiting this awesome mailday thread from 2010 - @sportaddict you might appreciate this mate. Shows what a terrific person Phil Hughes is.
http://www.ozcardtrader.com.au/community/threads/best-mail-day-ever.82699/

That was one of the first things that I thought of when I first heard the news. That mailday has always stuck with me whenever Ive watched Hughes play/ or read about/spoken about him. Never spoken to the guy who received the mailday, and never got to meet Phil, but Ill never forget reading that thread and thinking to myself what a champion bloke he was. Always been a fan of his and Ill never forget standing and cheering at the TV watching those 100's in each innings he scored v South Africa. This just sucks.

That was one of the first things that I thought of when I first heard the news. That mailday has always stuck with me whenever Ive watched Hughes play/ or read about/spoken about him. Never spoken to the guy who received the mailday, and never got to meet Phil, but Ill never forget reading that thread and thinking to myself what a champion bloke he was. Always been a fan of his and Ill never forget standing and cheering at the TV watching those 100's in each innings he scored v South Africa. This just sucks.

i thought of that mailday too straight away that he sent walshy

Like alot of other Associations (Sydney Grade & Districts to name a few) my Cricket association has called off all games this weekend.

We are all planning on heading to our local hotel & having a catch up with team mates to talk about what has happened & to make sure everyone is coping with what has happened.

Unfortunately I have had already had an email from one of my team saying they are considering hanging up the boots as a direct result of this terrible situaation. It has alot of people questioning alot of things, how can it happen? Why did it happen? It could have been me that it happened to, or it could have been me that bowled that ball.

I would encourage everyone to check in with your team mates & friends to see how they are travelling. This is devestating for everyone involved.

Tommorrow I will also be reminiscing about Hughesy, discussing all that he achieved & raising a toast to him & his life.

RIP

I know they have retired Phil's ODI number 64…but they should print and sell his named and numbered ODI shirts to the public at all the Tests / ODIs this summer with the money being donated to various hospitals / brain-head trauma units and as a tribute to a lovely bloke.

Especially good for the kids who are grasping with the tragedy. It's horrible having to explain what happened, and my 5 1/2 and 3 year olds don't really understand, but my older son said to me yesterday when we were in the backyard that he won't pretend to be Phil anymore when we play (my son runs through the names of Australian batsmen pretending to be each and every one of them). F***ing broke my heart.

Wearing Phil's ODI number/named jersey may just inspire a whole new generation of children to take up (and continue playing) the game that Phil Hughes so very much loved playing. Might make some old, hard heads like me get past it too.

Just a thought.

I know they have retired Phil's ODI number 64…but they should print and sell his named and numbered ODI shirts to the public at all the Tests / ODIs this summer with the money being donated to various hospitals / brain-head trauma units and as a tribute to a lovely bloke.

Especially good for the kids who are grasping with the tragedy. It's horrible having to explain what happened, and my 5 1/2 and 3 year olds don't really understand, but my older son said to me yesterday when we were in the backyard that he won't pretend to be Phil anymore when we play (my son runs through the names of Australian batsmen pretending to be each and every one of them). F***ing broke my heart.

Wearing Phil's ODI number/named jersey may just inspire a whole new generation of children to take up (and continue playing) the game that Phil Hughes so very much loved playing. Might make some old, hard heads like me get past it too.

Just a thought.
Nice idea mate. They also retired Phil Hughes' locker down here at Adelaide Oval so it will always have his name on it and will never be used by anyone else.

Just a thought.
Magnificent gesture :)

Back
Top Bottom