2014 AFL Future Force

It was a flop before the draft and a bigger flop after I reakon if I hold out I can get the greens I need pretty cheap

So, if we're not getting DPSs from 2015 onwards, future force becomes the only way to get signatures of (pending) draftees. As I understand it, the future force signatures come from the AIS academy squad, which was determined more than 12 months ago. Why would select want to (a) base their list on a squad that was named a year ago and (b) put out a release before it knows who has been drafted?

Did anything one think there was actually anything wrong with DPSs, or is it just Select trying to squeeze more dollars out of collectors? Logically most of the better players are going to end up at the weaker, less popular clubs, so it seems like a poor business model to have a product that is mostly going to appeal to the smaller supporter bases.

Melbourne has been well represented in recent series of future force, but I would much rather have signed cards by Viney, Brayshaw, etc in a MFC jumper and would pay accordingly.

So, if we're not getting DPSs from 2015 onwards, future force becomes the only way to get signatures of (pending) draftees. As I understand it, the future force signatures come from the AIS academy squad, which was determined more than 12 months ago. Why would select want to (a) base their list on a squad that was named a year ago and (b) put out a release before it knows who has been drafted?

Did anything one think there was actually anything wrong with DPSs, or is it just Select trying to squeeze more dollars out of collectors? Logically most of the better players are going to end up at the weaker, less popular clubs, so it seems like a poor business model to have a product that is mostly going to appeal to the smaller supporter bases.

Melbourne has been well represented in recent series of future force, but I would much rather have signed cards by Viney, Brayshaw, etc in a MFC jumper and would pay accordingly.

They are doing something else similar to DPS's, more like Rising Star Signatures from what I've heard.

Definitely a flop. There must be more undrafted sigs than drafted sigs I would think.

Not quite

So here's how the Future Force sig list went

FFRS1 JARROD PICKETT - Pick #4 GWS
FFRS2 CLEM SMITH - Pick #60 Carlton
FFRS3 LACHLAN WELLER - Pick #13 Fremantle
FFRS4 JADEN McGRATH - Pick #73 Brisbane
FFRS5 BRADLEY WALSH - Undrafted
FFRS6 LIAM DUGGAN - Pick #11 West Coast
FFRS7 ISAAC HEENEY - Pick #18 Sydney
FFRS8 BILLY STRETCH - Pick #42 Melbourne
FFRS9 LIAM GRIFFITHS - Undrafted
FFRS10 NAKIA COCKATOO - Pick #10 Geelong
FFRS11 JACKSON NELSON - Pick #51 West Coast
FFRS12 ANGUS BRAYSHAW - Pick #3 Melbourne
FFRS13 RYAN LIM - Undrafted
FFRS14 PATRICK MCCARTIN - Pick #1 St Kilda
FFRS15 LIAM DAWSON - Pick #44 Brisbane
FFRS16 DANIEL CAPRION - Undrafted
FFRS17 JERMAINE MILLER-LEWIS - Undrafted
FFRS18 JAKE LEVER - Pick #14 Adelaide
FFRS19 MARC BOWER - Undrafted
FFRS20 Tom Lamb - Pick #32 West Coast
FFRS21 NICHOLAS COUGHLAN - Undrafted
FFRS22 MATTHEW AH SIU - Undrafted
FFRS23 HUGH GODDARD - Pick #21 St Kilda
FFRS24 MATTHEW HAMMELMANN - Undrafted
FFRS25 JESSE WATCHMAN - Undrafted
FFRS26 SAM DURDIN - Pick #16 North Melbourne
FFRS27 CHRISTIAN PETRACCA - Pick #2 Melbourne
FFRS28 SAM DEVAN - Undrafted
FFRS29 PETER WRIGHT - Pick #8 Gold Coast
FFRS30 SEAN McCLAREN - Undrafted
FFRS31 DUOM DAWAM - Undrafted

13 of 31 went undrafted, or 42% of the checklist

Clubs that missed out: Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, Richmond, Footscray

Club with the most: Melbourne & West Coast with 3 players each

I personally think they should wait till after the draft and base a product on the finalised draft. Get rid of series 1 if they have too.

Bit arrogant. Sure the guys that collect those teams are happy.

And fwiw we still have the rookie and preseason drafts to go.

How is that arrogant? I'm just stating the obvious.

At the end of the day its a good thing what happened last night, stops the leeches that have infiltrated our hobby buying and flipping cards just to make money.

The sooner they fuck off, the better it is for collectors like most of us on here.

I still think Future Force has value. To potentially snag a short printed high draft sig for just $60 is great value. Obviously its taken a hit post-draft, but plenty of DPS sigs from previous Series 2 releases have been delisted into the wilderness.

And while some prefer the cards to feature the players in their team colours, there is a benefit in having them in non-descript colours when they change teams.

Given that the AFL/AIS association has ended it'll be interesting to see what they do in future releases. Maybe make the U18 AA team the signature set. Would probably increase the changes that more of the checklist gets drafted. But it will leave them with less lead time to get the product prepared before the draft.

Definitely need to add another insert set to ward off searchers. That's the biggest problem with Future Force at the moment.

I agree with you bannana in regards to values initially not as high for gws/gc but definately still better than undrafted I would think. Maybe about equal with low numbered undrafted and I guess with the rookie draft still coming the undrafted players do have upside.

Although i do find it funny that everyone says how the value of gws/GC cards are so low yet most of the time whenr I get offered a trade it is often (not all members mind you) a straight swap for their clubs team. or at high prices similar to that of a Geelong etc

And tbh I actually don't mind this as obviously everyone is trying to get the most value from their cards as I do sometimes but just might be worth considering as most seemed shocked when I knock back an offer of around 250 when it is sitting on eBay unsold for 180 etc

And on that note banana I have a Sam Bevan #7 green sig , you wouldn't happen to have a wright or picket green Sig that you would be interested in trading for :p

I agree with you bannana in regards to values initially not as high for gws/gc but definately still better than undrafted I would think. Maybe about equal with low numbered undrafted and I guess with the rookie draft still coming the undrafted players do have upside.

Although i do find it funny that everyone says how the value of gws/GC cards are so low yet most of the time whenr I get offered a trade it is often (not all members mind you) a straight swap for their clubs team. or at high prices similar to that of a Geelong etc

And tbh I actually don't mind this as obviously everyone is trying to get the most value from their cards as I do sometimes but just might be worth considering as most seemed shocked when I knock back an offer of around 250 when it is sitting on eBay unsold for 180 etc

And on that note banana I have a Sam Bevan #7 green sig , you wouldn't happen to have a wright or picket green Sig that you would be interested in trading for :p

Mate, I have 15 Greens, I'm ready to use them as fire-lighters. Sam Bevan is one of them.

Haha fair enough then maybe just chuck one my way before you burn them :) hahaha but nah I just sent you a pm over afltcc I think but would you be interested in trading Pickett or wright for either or both of a 2014 Neil Roberts brownlow signature and 2012 draft prospects dual signature (Geelong) McCarthy and Kerstin 22\25.

Way to offload them to a dedicated collector =) and I am sure the Neil Roberts brownlow will be easier to sell. After all only got 10 more cards until my collection is complete. I can chuck in some sweeteners for your help?

Back
Top Bottom