The Australian cricket non-official thread!

You have to laugh. Boyce was in for T20s now they've gone with Doherty. Johnson is 'rested' but Richardson comes in - not even in top 15 quicks in Australia IMO. Starc is back but what happened to Coulter-Nile or Faulkner? Smith was out and in again and now Maxwell is out. Cummins picked and now rested.

It's all for the World Cup... Building for the future. Well don't charge full price to see Australia C.

And don't tell me Siddle and Harris aren't ODI World Cup standard quicks. Sheesh. Every other country picks their best and build around it. I don't even know which 40 will make up an XI today, tomorrow or next week.

Is it just me?

Some of the decisions are hard to comprehend and harder to understand
It's what they call rotation or resting which I can understand for our test players who play the one dayers
But not everyone

While I'll argue until I'm six feet under that the ICC has absolutely no right to allow India or any country for that matter to pick and choose when and if it uses the DRS in its matches (it is border-line corruption in my opinion), I hate the use of Eagle Eye when referring decisions as it is purely a predictive gimmick. I won't ever be convinced that it can ACCURATELY predict that a ball will hit the top outside corner of the off bail...PUHLEEEEASE! :)

Hot-spot, yep. Snicko, yep. The line tracker thingo (tram line I think they call it) that shows if a ball pitched in line with the stumps, yep. But not Eagle Eye.

The "umpires' call" for LBW goes against one of the actual laws of the game, anyway. It doesn't matter whether the ball hits the batsman in front of middle stump a third of the way up or in front of off stump in line with the off bail. If it's hitting the stumps, it's to be given out. The idea that a ball can be "predicted" to hit half a bees' whizzer either side of the middle of any stump and therefore affect a decision is illogical.

Last edited:
@The Mad Hatter - hang on to your hat, old mate! :)

OUT: Hazlewood, Richardson, Doherty and Marsh
IN: Maxwell, Coutler-Nile, Faulkner and Cummins

....admittedly South Africa have made changes as well, most notably leaving out Morkel and the gum-chewing Philander (as well as Rossou and the injured Tahir) and bringing in Abbott, McLaren, Parnell and Peterson.

South Africa won the toss and are batting.

Its a revolving door at Cricket Australia.

The manufacturors are working overtime to try & outfit the whole squad.

Heard they ram out of material & have had to get some more shipped in to cover the amount of extra uniforms required to outfit the 325 players they plan on using in the ODI series.

I reckon the tri-series between Australia/Sri Lanka/England will give us a better indication of what Australia's best ODI team will be ahead of the World Cup.

For what it's worth, my best XI would be:

Warner, Finch, Watson, Clarke, Smith, M. Marsh, Haddin, Faulkner, Johnson, Starc, Harris.

George Bailey would be my 12th man and could be included when the batting needs strengthening.

I can't find a spot for Maxwell, Doherty, Cummins, Coulter-Nile or Hazlewood in my first choice team.

Funnily enough I picked my WORLD CUP 15 and then did it with my son. He picked 14 the same.

So here goes nuthin' (and can we please wear canary yellow...pretty please??)

Batsmen:
Warner
Finch
Watson
Smith
Clarke (if not fit White / Hughes )
M Marsh
Bailey

Wicket keeper:
Haddin (Wade if Haddin not fit)

Bowlers:
Johnson
Starc
Hazelwood
Harris
Doherty
Cummins
Faulkner

Spares:
Boyce or Maxwell.

At SCG watching ODI. Ben Cummins is a couple of seats beside me and a couple of blokes leaned over and got him to go through that Rosseu DRS. Lol. He was good about it and had a laugh.

A pretty predicable first Test squad:

Clarke (c), Haddin (vc), Harris, Hazlewood, Johnson, Lyon, M. Marsh, Rogers, Siddle, Smith, Warner, Watson. A batsman will be added from outside the squad if Clarke is unfit. Rod Marsh said he'd be "very surprised" if we go with an all-pace bowling attack at the 'Gabba, hinting that Nathan Lyon will play.

Awful news from the SCG - Phil Hughes has been knocked out by a Shaun Abbott bouncer and has been stretchered off the field. Fox Sports are reporting that he received CPR whilst on the stretcher as it left the field. Close mate David Warner went off the field with him and an early tea has been taken.

The current round of Sheffield Shield matches have been abandoned - a very wise and respectful decision from all concerned.

The worldwide support and best wishes has been remarkable - I have read comments from the likes of Gilchrist, Pietersen, Swann, Kohli, Botham, Vaughan and many others.

Cricket Australia - for all their numerous faults - have been superb since yesterday afternoon.

This is a picture they added to their Facebook page, bloody near moved me to tears :-(

10702217_10152867948929313_3725544510716651522_n.jpg

It hardly seems right to be talking cricket, and I know the NZ and Pakistani players are doing it tough too. After having the 2nd day off in honour of Hughesy, NZ are batting. NZ are 1 fer. McCullum has just hit the 4th fastest double-ton in history; Kane Williamson has hit a century. Both have been sombre celebrations - perhaps, reflections. As I speak, McCullum has just been bowled.

Maybe coming together over this tragedy might take some of the mean spiritedness out of Test cricket. I'm sure the game will go on, and I want it to be tough and hard and fast…but always be mindful it's not the be all and end all.

Back
Top Bottom