IP Signatures on high-end cards

Lonhro

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Adam
COMC User
lonhro
Apologies in advance if this has been discussed elsewhere, but it really does my head in when you see good cards on Ebay or whereever that have been autographed. For example, there's a few World Cup Heroes Parallel on eBay that have been signed. There's no way in the world, I'd be getting a card signed that is limited to only 80. Even if the signature is genuine, I'd feel like I'd be defacing such a unique and awesome card. If it's for your personal collection and own satisfaction and enjoyment, good luck to you but I'd rather just get shitty commons signed. Just my thoughts.

What does everyone else think?

This topic caught my eye on twitter. I collect cricket cards. I'm afraid I have been guilty of getting more than one high end cricket cards signed in person. Cricket collectors will recognise these examples

gilchrist29.jpg

lara13.jpg

I got a fair bit of comment on these - particulary on the super expensive Gilchrist card. The consensus was that I had defaced these, but truth be told, I did not regret my decision one bit. From my point of view, if it's signed by the person depicted on the card, it only enhances it and I would do it all day long :)

This was discussed a few years ago I think. I think, each to their own. I have a cowboys collection, to me, it's not complete until I have everything signed. I know people get annoyed, but I don't care. They are my cards, limited or not, I'll do whatever I want with them. Having said that. I collect 3 of every cowboys card (Under $300) the third is the signed one. So it's not like I don't still have the unsigned original. I got a cowboys LLB signed by thurston, another signed by scott, and another signed by both of them. I don't regret any of them! I actually like them better than the unsigned one I have.

Collecting gets boring when you can just buy everything you need. Getting the IP takes effort, or $$, and I'm more than happy to add them to my collection.

P.S. The signed cricket cards look great!

M.

This was discussed a few years ago I think. I think, each to their own. I have a cowboys collection, to me, it's not complete until I have everything signed. I know people get annoyed, but I don't care. They are my cards, limited or not, I'll do whatever I want with them. Having said that. I collect 3 of every cowboys card (Under $300) the third is the signed one. So it's not like I don't still have the unsigned original. I got a cowboys LLB signed by thurston, another signed by scott, and another signed by both of them. I don't regret any of them! I actually like them better than the unsigned one I have.

Collecting gets boring when you can just buy everything you need. Getting the IP takes effort, or $$, and I'm more than happy to add them to my collection.

P.S. The signed cricket cards look great!

M.

I'd add my piece, but I'd just be repeating what Mirren said word for word ;).

Plus, surely it makes everybody elses non-signed ones more valuable if it is true they are defaced by IPs.

The only thing that bothers me about getting them signed is the risk of smudging or a poor sig etc. However, the players know their cards it seems and take extra care with them in my experience.

I'd add my piece, but I'd just be repeating what Mirren said word for word ;).

Plus, surely it makes everybody elses non-signed ones more valuable if it is true they are defaced by IPs.

The only thing that bothers me about getting them signed is the risk of smudging or a poor sig etc. However, the players know their cards it seems and take extra care with them in my experience.

I think the risk of smudging is very real and often when players are signing at a match etc, not only do they not take too much care but also they will often scribble with whatever pen is in their hand at the time. Have you noticed how many people walk around with lousy pens? :D So, I would say that there is an element of risk to this and as a collector you have minimise it by assessing whether the player is hurried or has a moment to do it right and also make sure he takes the pen you provide and that you're not the person with the lousy pen :) I love the cards I got signed and to me I've actually "improved" what the manufacturer produced lol

Most cards are gloss these days, so the signature can be removed, if done carefully, without it being noticed. When I got my LLB's signed, I asked Thurston and Scott to sign it carefully as it was an expensive card in my collection. They were both very good, thurston was a lil nervous too I think!

M.

For me I love getting them signed, I have over 3 thousand signed cards! There are a lot of poeple that hate them signed, I no there are poeple that have every subset from a series unsigned, I have a lot of insert subsets signed with only a couple of players to finish of alot my sets, I also got my cam smith black league leader signed by him we all no what smithys like he never scribbles his signature and it's almost nearly the same every time, but he was abit nervous to sign it aswel lol, Im also collecting the full wchp set and have 7 already signed they look great I think! But u can remove the sig if u realy wanted to anyway

You should show us your wchp progress!!

For me I love getting them signed, I have over 3 thousand signed cards! There are a lot of poeple that hate them signed, I no there are poeple that have every subset from a series unsigned, I have a lot of insert subsets signed with only a couple of players to finish of alot my sets, I also got my cam smith black league leader signed by him we all no what smithys like he never scribbles his signature and it's almost nearly the same every time, but he was abit nervous to sign it aswel lol, Im also collecting the full wchp set and have 7 already signed they look great I think! But u can remove the sig if u realy wanted to anyway

definitely get them signed, sets you apart from the rest and the chase is fun.

definitely get them signed, sets you apart from the rest and the chase is fun.

Yep, I find the chase much more fun with IPs as it can take years to finish a set, which adds a real sense of satisfaction.

I'd be really interest to know how extensive some people's IP sets are (and what sets). I know there are a couple of people on here at least with more than me and I am at around 7000 now.

Angry seems to have a nice arrangement of higher level cards though

LOVE the Lara, Nazim. I tried to collect a lot of the 80s and 90s cricket cards in IPs at one stage, but have taken a break!

Great comments - I guess it comes to a matter of each to their own.

It'd be funny though if a player knew a bit about cards and said 'are you sure you want me to sign this particular one???'

Great comments - I guess it comes to a matter of each to their own.

It'd be funny though if a player knew a bit about cards and said 'are you sure you want me to sign this particular one???'

Michael Slater said was I sure when I got him to sign my Ashes box set card of him.

No mate sorry I only need 8 more and I'm going to get them signed and framed when finish if I get another one mate u wil be first to get it

Only needing 8 more mate very keen to get these finished so I can concentrate on getting these signed

Back
Top Bottom