The road to season 2015

Day 34 (153 days to go)

Wow, it's been over a month since the Grand Final!

Geelong 2015 Season Preview

Geelong; the team that just keeps on keeping on. Their run since 2007 has simply been extraordinary, and even though their last premiership was 2011, their performances since then haven't exactly been lousy. Just this year they finished top 4 and narrowly missed out on playing in a preliminary final.

But to 2015. It seems every year is the year Geelong are predicted to finally slide down the ladder, but as yet it hasn't happened. And in my opinion, they won't drop out of the 8 in 2015. Some of their guns will be a year older, but the quality of those players, the inspirational skipper Joel Selwood, and their depth means there is no reason they shouldn't be around the mark again.

So where do you start? Down back they look very solid. Harry Taylor is one of, if not the, best swingmen in the competition. Just this year he took 19 marks in a game! Corey Enright is ageing but is still a more than decent contributor. Andrew Mackie, Tom Lonergan and Jared Rivers complete the backbone of the defence.

Their unbelievable midfield was the reason for their 3 premierships. Although Ablett is long gone, Selwood, Bartel, Johnson and Kelly all are A-Grade players. They have carried this team for so long, and perhaps 2015 will be the last season for one or more of them (obviously not Selwood!), but I reckon they've got one more year in them. Mark Blicavs had a great year as the main ruckman, and if Hamish McIntosh can stay on the park, the Cats' centre line looks formidable.

Up forward the main target is the Tomahawk; often criticised but one of the best lead-up forwards in the comp, you can count on him to kick his 50+ goals each season. Mathew Stokes and Steven Motlop are live-wire forward pockets. Perhaps the forward line is where the Cats lack a little depth, although the addition of Rhys Stanley will help in that regard.

What impresses me the most is their group of players who provide depth; those who are around the 18-30th best player mark and can be counted on to do their job if required (guys like Caddy, Guthrie, Horlin-Smith, Kersten, Lang, McCarthy, Menzel, Simpson, Smedts, Vardy and Walker). This has been the key to Geelong's prolonged period of success.

Now I've talked them up a fair bit here, and you might think I've got them top 4. I don't quite have them up that far. Despite their list and their recent success, I think there are some teams who will just overtake them next season, but they won't drop to the extent many predict they will.

Predictions:

B&F: Joel Selwood
Most Brownlow votes: Joel Selwood (20)
Most goals: Tom Hawkins (58)
Most improved: Rhys Stanley
Position: 6th

Tomorrow: Gold Coast

Don't like what they've done to ANZAC Day. When Collingwood and Essendon are at their peak it was like a mid-season final.

Now its just another fixture.
To be fair, it is on a Saturday. You're going to have to play those 9 games sometime, and Saturday usually has 5-6 games. It also seems the AFL is fully committed to the F-S-S setting, with no more silly Sunday night or Monday night games. That I can get behind.

Day 35 (152 days to go)

Gold Coast 2015 Season Preview

The Suns are improving and rapidly. 2014 should have resulted in their first finals appearance, but for one tackle; that of Brent Macaffer on Gary Ablett, popping Ablett's shoulder and resulting in him missing the rest of the season. Gary Ablett is, and has always been, Gold Coast's most important player by a country mile, and his fitness in 2015 will in my opinion determine just how far the Suns rise.

Gold Coast have one of the most exciting lists in the competition; this was shown when Rodney Eade agreed to fill the vacant coaching position. Many believe if not for the potential of the Suns' list, his senior coaching days would be over. It could be argued the Suns have the best midfield in the comp; at the very least, they will within the next couple of seasons. Ablett, O'Meara, Rischitelli, Swallow, Martin, Prestia and Matera are all elite midfielders, and, if all goes to plan, will lead the Suns to their first premiership.

What about down back? It turns out they have a bunch of very solid players. Thompson, May, Tape and Mackenzie all now have enough experience to really develop their games in 2015, and enter the next tier of defenders. Also watch out for Kade Kolodjashnij in the future; he is a really exciting prospect.

Tom Lynch is the main focus in attack; he booted a more than acceptable 46 goals this year. Bennell and Matera also seem to sneak some goals every match. Perhaps this is the weakest part of the Suns lineup; if they could land a solid key forward very soon to complement Lynch, they could well have completed the premiership jigsaw.

2015 will be the Suns' most impressive season yet. As their young players approach their prime, expect them to blast a few teams out of the park and really challenge the likes of Hawthorn and Sydney. Yep, I reckon they are top 4 material in 2015.

Predictions:

B&F: Gary Ablett
Most Brownlow votes: Gary Ablett (27)
Most goals: Tom Lynch (55)
Most improved: Kade Kolodjashnij
Position: 4th

Tomorrow: let's break tradition and skip to Hawthorn since they have significantly more supported on here than GWS. Giants will come next weekend.

Day 36 (151 days to go)

Hawthorn 2015 Season Preview

Really, what can you say about Hawthorn? First back-to-back premiers since Brisbane 01-02-03. Quickly overtaking Geelong as the best team of this era. More premierships than any team over the last 50 years. But can they add another one in 2015?

Yes. They can. But I'm not sure if they will. No matter what they will be giving it a good shot; the lure of a hat-trick of premierships should be enough to eradicate any premiership hangover in 2015.

Why have they won the last two premierships? It comes down to balance and team chemistry. First let's have a look at their balance. They have a combination of stars and solid contributors on every line. Down back Josh Gibson, Brian Lake and Matt Suckling are very effective, and the addition of James Frawley over the trade period is a good one. Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis have been the spine of the Hawks midfield for years and are still as effective as ever. But perhaps they are strongest up forward. Coleman Medallist Jarryd Roughead combines with Paul Puopolo, Jack Gunston and Luke Breust to consistently kick winning scores (the Hawks' lowest score in 2014 was 85!).

The strength of the Hawthorn Football Club was severely tested in 2014: from the coach missing games due to illness to the unbelievable amount of injuries they suffered. If a team ever makes excuses for having a poor year they need to be reminded of Hawthorn 2014. For them to win the premiership despite those obstacles shows there must be a huge respect, courage and determination in that club. Many teams would have collapsed under those strains but Hawthorn stood tall and in the end, it payed off.

This alone should be enough to ensure 2015 will be another successful one for the Hawks, and I'm sure that anything less than a Grand Final berth, a difficult yet achievable goal, will be considered a failure by their supporters. I for one look forward to the Hawks vs Swans clashes: this should be the new great rivalry.

Predictions:

B&F: Josh Gibson
Most Brownlow votes: Sam Mitchell (19)
Most goals: Jarryd Roughead (63)
Most improved: Jono O'Rourke
Position: 3rd

Friday: Greater Western Sydney

Day 37 (150 says to go)

Yawn.

Day 38 (149 days to go)

As news slows down, does anyone have any suggestions for new stuff I can do? Looking for something not as long as the previews I've been doing, but something interesting that would take about 5 minutes (study is taking up more and more of my time...:confused:).

Day 39 (148 days to go)

Headlines you won't see in 2015.

Adelaide:

Paddy has the Power: Dangerfield defects to arch rivals

Sanderson surprise! Walsh sacked, old coach returns

I owe them everything: Tippett reveals he regrets leaving the Crows

Brisbane:

Allen attack! Christensen crushes Cats with 10 goal haul

Beams dreams: "I can win 2015 Brownlow"

Fierce Pearce threatens return to Ireland if he is not offered a 9-year contract

(Am I on the right track Matty? :p )

Day 37 (150 says to go)

Yawn.

Day 38 (149 days to go)

As news slows down, does anyone have any suggestions for new stuff I can do? Looking for something not as long as the previews I've been doing, but something interesting that would take about 5 minutes (study is taking up more and more of my time...:confused:).
How about milestones. For both club and players

How about milestones. For both club and players
Good idea! I'll do that parallel to the headlines.

Day 40 (147 days to go)

Adelaide: Potential 2015 Milestones

Nathan van Berlo: 200 games (18 needed)
Patrick Dangerfield: 150 games (19 needed)
Andy Otten: 100 games (21 needed)
Taylor Walker: 100 games (16 needed)
Matthew Wright: 100 games (22 needed)

Taylor Walker: 200 goals (3 needed)

Adelaide: 300 wins (10 needed)

Brisbane: Potential 2015 Milestones

Jed Adcock: 200 games (15 needed)
Pearce Hanley: 100 games (4 needed)
Matthew Leuenberger: 100 games (6 needed)

Another option is to do a write up on each future force Sig each day like draft range, clubs interested ets . Heaps of info on big footy and we can all help out.

Day 41 (146 days to go)

Greater Western Sydney 2015 Season Preview

The babies of the AFL have so far probably tracked as expected, with 6 wins and a 16th place finish probably a pass mark for 2014. The question is, can they follow the lead of the Suns, who had quite a leap this season, and challenge for the top 8 in 2015?

Their list is filled to the brim with young talent. And they have picks 4, 6 and 7 in the National Draft. In a few years, the Giants will most likely be unstoppable. But, I can see them having one more year of learning and development in 2015 before becoming a real premiership threat in 2016.

So let's look at their players. Down back, Phil Davis, Heath Shaw and Tim Mohr will be greatly boosted by the addition of Brisbane dual best and fairest, Joel Patfull. This guy could be one of the Giants' most valuable players. The key for the back line now is to limit the number of 120-plus scores that they concede; if they keep a team to under 100, they will more likely than not be right in the game.

Their Giants midfield must surely leave their fans salivating! The experienced Ward, Palmer and Scully are supported by up-and-coming young guns such as Treloar, Hoskin-Elliott, Shiel, Smith, Coniglio and Greene. Add Ryan Griffen into the mix and that is one serious midfield. The year this group starts to really fire is the year the Giants start making Grand Finals, and it could be within the next three to five years.

Up forward they are just as potent. Jeremy Cameron was All Australian in his second season and despite a somewhat less successful 2014, he could be primed to explode in 2015. Jonathon Patton, if he can stay injury free will be another vital target up forward. They rely on their midfielders to add a few goals each game, but if they can pick up a quality small forward in the draft, that will go a long way to them getting the required 15-plus goals each game.

So what is the pass mark for GWS in 2015? I'd say 8-9 wins. Anything more and you can say it was a great year, anything less and I think it will be seen as a disappointment. I'll tip for them to have 8 wins.

Predictions:

B&F: Jeremy Cameron
Most Brownlow votes: Ryan Griffen (16)
Most goals: Jeremy Cameron (70)
Most improved: Stephen Coniglio
Position: 12th

Tomorrow: Melbourne

Day 42 (145 days to go)

Melbourne 2015 Season Preview

It has been a frustrating few years for Demons fans, with finishes in the bottom 4 the norm. But with Paul Roos taking over the reins at the start of this season, and slowly but surely teaching his players the game plan and the required skills and effort, could it be there is some light at the end of this very long tunnel?

Maybe in the future, but my crystal ball says one more year of languishing at the bottom of the ladder for the Demons. They simply don't have enough guns, and too many struggling youngsters who are perhaps not yet at the required standard to play AFL football.

Their defence is already quite average, and the loss of James Frawley will hurt even more. This may be slightly balanced by the inclusion of Heritier Lumumba, but I think they've had a loss here, the Demons. They severely lack experience in defence; the Demons will be hoping they can get a full season out of Jack Grimes, otherwise things look dire.

Nathan Jones has been leading the way in the midfield for several seasons now, but he lacks support. Bernie Vince will really need to step in 2015, as will the likes of Viney, Salem, Toumpas and Tyson.

But all eyes will be on Jesse Hogan next year. He has been hyped-up ever since he was signed by the Demons last off-season, but could not play in 2014 due to his age. Can he live up to that hype? He will be the player the Dees build their forward line around in the future. They rely on their midfielders to kick a lot of their goals, with Hogan, Dawes and Howe being their main forward targets; their midfielders play small when they are resting up forward.

All in all I just feel Melbourne don't have the quality of players to rise up the ladder next year: if they draft well with picks 2 and 3, they may have something to build on in 2016, but 2015 should be another one in the doldrums for the Demons.

Predictions:

B&F: Nathan Jones
Most Brownlow votes: Nathan Jones (12)
Most goals: Chris Dawes (35)
Most improved: Jack Viney
Position: 17th

Tonight: North Melbourne

Day 42 (145 days to go)

Melbourne 2015 Season Preview

It has been a frustrating few years for Demons fans, with finishes in the bottom 4 the norm. But with Paul Roos taking over the reins at the start of this season, and slowly but surely teaching his players the game plan and the required skills and effort, could it be there is some light at the end of this very long tunnel?

Maybe in the future, but my crystal ball says one more year of languishing at the bottom of the ladder for the Demons. They simply don't have enough guns, and too many struggling youngsters who are perhaps not yet at the required standard to play AFL football.

Their defence is already quite average, and the loss of James Frawley will hurt even more. This may be slightly balanced by the inclusion of Heritier Lumumba, but I think they've had a loss here, the Demons. They severely lack experience in defence; the Demons will be hoping they can get a full season out of Jack Grimes, otherwise things look dire.

Nathan Jones has been leading the way in the midfield for several seasons now, but he lacks support. Bernie Vince will really need to step in 2015, as will the likes of Viney, Salem, Toumpas and Tyson.

But all eyes will be on Jesse Hogan next year. He has been hyped-up ever since he was signed by the Demons last off-season, but could not play in 2014 due to his age. Can he live up to that hype? He will be the player the Dees build their forward line around in the future. They rely on their midfielders to kick a lot of their goals, with Hogan, Dawes and Howe being their main forward targets; their midfielders play small when they are resting up forward.

All in all I just feel Melbourne don't have the quality of players to rise up the ladder next year: if they draft well with picks 2 and 3, they may have something to build on in 2016, but 2015 should be another one in the doldrums for the Demons.

Predictions:

B&F: Nathan Jones
Most Brownlow votes: Nathan Jones (12)
Most goals: Chris Dawes (35)
Most improved: Jack Viney
Position: 17th

Tonight: North Melbourne

I enjoy your write ups but need to disagree slightly about our defense, I think it's quite solid and frawley won't be a huge loss as he rarely played there last season was up forward, Tom mcdonald is a very good player only disposal letting him down, Lyndon Dunn had a great year and Neville jetta came from no where and was never beaten on the small forwards, add garland lamumba and frost from GWS and the defence I feel is pretty good, the area we lack is midfield depth which I feel we are getting on top of and we lack a star, jones is an A grader but our only 1, hopefully hogan can have a impact straight away, anyway this is just my opinion and I think they will improve how much no one knows but I think they will finish outside the bottom 4

On frawley i and a lot of melbourne supporters are not worried about loosing him, he is an average player and his disposal is atrocious, and getting pick 3 for him was massive overs, if the player we choose with pick 3 looking like it will be mccartin turns out a star then will be a massive win, I will be interested to see how frawley goes at hawthorn he is a good 1 on 1 player just don't give him the ball

I enjoy your write ups but need to disagree slightly about our defense, I think it's quite solid and frawley won't be a huge loss as he rarely played there last season was up forward, Tom mcdonald is a very good player only disposal letting him down, Lyndon Dunn had a great year and Neville jetta came from no where and was never beaten on the small forwards, add garland lamumba and frost from GWS and the defence I feel is pretty good, the area we lack is midfield depth which I feel we are getting on top of and we lack a star, jones is an A grader but our only 1, hopefully hogan can have a impact straight away, anyway this is just my opinion and I think they will improve how much no one knows but I think they will finish outside the bottom 4
Fair call mate, obviously you know more about the Demons than me! We'll see next season if they can limit the number of big scores they concede.

James Hird's appeal against Justice Middleton's decision is heard tomorrow.....I wonder if this is why Bomber Thompson's future is still "unknown"? I reckon Essendon are readying themselves for the worst-case scenario tomorrow (from a players perspective) if Hird's appeal fails.

Back
Top Bottom