Andrew
eBay User
lan_of_oz
Hello

just a question i see alot of cards being graded by either PSA or BGS

questions that i have

1, is it worth getting cards graded to keep there condition and value,

2, is it only something you would do with hi end cards say $200 upwards

3, are the grading cases the put in OK ? does it take away from the look/appeal of the card

i personally have auto cards which are only in the $50-$400 range is it worth getting them graded, there not going to leave my PC but im thinking in the future when my Kids get them is it better re sale value at that time for them ? if they are graded

also what's the rough cost these days to get a card graded

sorry if this sounds noobish but i have no idea on the grading side of things

I'd also alike to know this. I assume tho it involves sending them overseas and several fees

It does involve sending the cards somewhere and fees. Whilst PSA and BGS are an option also consider Card Grading Australia. They offer a great local service, reasonable rates and a number of services. A card graded by BGS will have better resale value overseas but if they are PC cards use the local service.

BGS: To send from Australia, its is $20.10 for pack & track. Roughly $15 per card for grading, then it HAS TO be returned express for international orders - $55

What you should do, is create a COMC account. The next time that you send in some cards to sell on there, include the cards you want graded.

When they hit your inventory, select 'submit for grading'

They charge $12 per card.

Then when you get it back, you simply include it in your next shipment home for only $1 per card (slab handling charge)

Here's a thought...

We all know that a Gem 10 stacks a decent premium on cards these days, some more so than others, but what if you have a card you consider "MINT", and it comes back an 8... does that then decrease the value, knowing full-well it's NOT "mint"....

For PC cards, I've had some Harris' graded, and didnt give two-tosses about the results, I wanted to 1.) wet my feet with grading, and 2.) encapsulate that card(s), to (hopefully) forever remain in that condition.

It can be expensive, but it could also be, as Coopz mentioned above, a better option to go via COMC.com.

cheers thanks for the advice

so from what i understand the american graders are better for re sale, but the aussie guy is just as good for a PC card

Aussie graded will not help your son, if he is ever forced to sell your cards.

As @WoobieZarz stated, in a general sense, a bgs 9 is the minimum grade to equate to a cards normal value. Anything under that, will lessen the value.

I would send heaps, any that dont get the grade you want, crack the case and leave it in a one touch. Youll get a better resale price in the end.

Or send those ones to the Aussie grader who is alot more favourable with grades

The greatest value here for modern stuff is in grading baseball prospects, but like someone else said, it's not even worth it if it comes back a 9 or less. Otherwise, for value, it's not really worth it on modern stuff. Vintage it is absolutely worth it.

Otherwise, doing it for protection of the card is purely personal preference. It might be worth it for the $10 (or $2 more for an auto grade)...at least that's what BGS charges here.

IMO the only stuff that seems to really benefit a lot from grading is vintage stuff, high end (exquisite etc) and nice rookies (chrome/prizm etc). Also, it only seems to be 9.5-10 that are wanted. Anything 9 or less, unless it is really sort after seems to add nothing to the value.

do you think its worth me getting this graded then

mj1_zpscac38d53.jpg

Back
Top Bottom