The road to season 2015

The Adelaide Crow's have traded pick 10 & 47 for Geelongs pick 14 and 35

I'm not sure why but apparently it's because they believe the player they want will be available at pick 14.
See if it pans out on Draft day

lol so not only are the Dogs paying Boyd a Mil a year for the next 7, they're also paying another Mil to cover the remainder of Griffin's contract.

Also Sam Frost (+ 40 & 53) off to Melbourne in exchange for pick 23.

lol so not only are the Dogs paying Boyd a Mil a year for the next 7, they're also paying another Mil to cover the remainder of Griffin's contract.

Also Sam Frost (+ 40 & 53) off to Melbourne in exchange for pick 23.

It will be intriguing to see if the Bulldogs cry poor any time in the next seven years....they can afford to pay out a coaches' contract, pay a new coaches' contract, pay $7m over 7 years to a player AND fork out $1m to GWS to cover Ryan Griffen's contract. Peter Gordon will be too scared to go cap in hand to the AFL any time soon I reckon!

Day 19 (~167 days to go)

The trade period finally came to a close yesterday, with a couple of trades being finalised in the closing minutes. Here's the breakdown for each team:

Adelaide:
Gained: Kyle Cheney, Luke Lowden, Picks 14, 35, 43, 59
Lost: Picks 10, 31, 47, 50, 68
Rating: B-

Brisbane:
Gained: Allen Christensen, Dayne Beams, Pick 67
Lost: Joel Patfull, Picks 5, 21, 25
Rating: A

Carlton:
Gained: Kristian Jaksch, Mark Whiley, Liam Jones, Picks 19, 61, 79
Lost: Jarrad Waite, Jeff Garlett, Picks 7, 46, 83
Rating: C+

Collingwood:
Gained: Levi Greenwood, Travis Varcoe, Jack Crisp, Pick 5
Lost: Dayne Beams, Heritier Lumumba, Picks 25, 67
Rating: C

Essendon:
Gained: Adam Cooney, James Gwilt, Jonathan Giles, Picks 17, 62
Lost: Paddy Ryder, Picks 37, 53

Fremantle:
DID NOT TRADE

Geelong:
Gained: Mitch Clark, Rhys Stanley, Picks 10, 47, 60
Lost: Allen Christensen, Travis Varcoe, Picks 14, 21, 35

Gold Coast:
Gained: Nick Malceski, Mitch Hallahan
Lost: Picks 47, 49
Rating: A+

Greater Western Sydney:
Gained: Ryan Griffen, Joel Patfull, Picks 6, 7, 23
Lost: Tom Boyd, Jono O'Rourke, Kristian Jaksch, Mark Whiley, Jonathan Giles, Sam Frost, Picks 19, 21, 40, 43, 53, 62

Hawthorn:
Gained: James Frawley, Jono O'Rourke, Picks 31, 49, 50, 68
Lost: Mitch Hallahan, Luke Lowden, Kyle Cheney, Picks 19, 40, 43, 47, 59
Rating: B+

Melbourne:
Gained: Heritier Lumumba, Jeff Garlett, Sam Frost, Picks 3, 40, 53, 83
Lost: James Frawley, Mitch Clark, Picks 23, 61, 79
Rating: C+

North Melbourne:
Gained: Jarrad Waite, Shaun Higgins, Pick 25
Lost: Levi Greenwood
Rating: B

Port Adelaide:
Gained: Paddy Ryder
Lost: Picks 17, 37
Rating: A-

Richmond:
DID NOT TRADE

St Kilda:
Gained: Pick 21
Lost: Rhys Stanley, James Gwilt, Pick 60
Rating: C-

Sydney:
Gained: Pick 37
Lost: Nick Malceski, Shane Biggs, Pick 39
Rating: D

West Coast:
DID NOT TRADE

Western Bulldogs:
Gained: Tom Boyd, Shane Biggs, Picks 27, 39, 46
Lost: Ryan Griffen, Adam Cooney, Shaun Higgins, Liam Jones, Picks 6, 37
Rating: D+

Starting this evening I am going to analyse each of the clubs and give some of my predictions for their 2015 season.

Bombers players have just been handed show cause notices with 400 pages of evidence against them, time for them to try and get reduced bans how james hird still has his job is the biggest joke in afl history the Essendon fc are deluded

The Adelaide Crows have delisted 3 more players including Luke Thompson and rookies James Battersby & Alex Spina.

Really confused why we would delist a defender considering we are struggling in that department at the moment.

Day 20 (~166 days to go)

Adelaide 2015 Season Preview

Adelaide supporters had high expectations heading into season 2014, and a 10th place finish would have left them disappointed. Heading into 2015 with a new coach, expectations will be similar, and yet I can't see too much improvement from them just yet.

Patrick Dangerfield had what many considered to be a sub-standard year by his standards, despite a high Brownlow poll. Captain Nathan van Berlo missed all of 2014 due to injury. The Crows will be hoping those two can return to their best next season.

Their midfield is very strong: Dangerfield, van Berlo, Sloane and Thompson are all elite players. Taylor Walker spearheads the forward line and is ably supported by Josh Jenkins, Tom Lynch and Eddie Betts. In defence, Daniel Talia made the All-Australian team but there is a lack of depth, partly due to Ben Rutten's retirement. Sam Jacobs was extremely unlucky not to be the All-Australian ruckman this year, and Luke Lowden provides some good ruck depth.

Overall I just feel Adelaide lack a bit of depth all around the ground, and if they have an unlucky run with injuries, they could really struggle. This combined with the fact that new coach Phil Walsh will be experimenting and settling in to the job, means I don't think Adelaide will squeeze into the 8.

2015 Predictions:

B&F: Rory Sloane
Most Brownlow votes: Patrick Dangerfield (20)
Most goals: Taylor Walker (58)
Most improved: Brad Crouch
Position: 9th

Let me know what you think Crows supporters!

Tomorrow: Brisbane

Day 20 (~166 days to go)

Adelaide 2015 Season Preview

Adelaide supporters had high expectations heading into season 2014, and a 10th place finish would have left them disappointed. Heading into 2015 with a new coach, expectations will be similar, and yet I can't see too much improvement from them just yet.

Patrick Dangerfield had what many considered to be a sub-standard year by his standards, despite a high Brownlow poll. Captain Nathan van Berlo missed all of 2014 due to injury. The Crows will be hoping those two can return to their best next season.

Their midfield is very strong: Dangerfield, van Berlo, Sloane and Thompson are all elite players. Taylor Walker spearheads the forward line and is ably supported by Josh Jenkins, Tom Lynch and Eddie Betts. In defence, Daniel Talia made the All-Australian team but there is a lack of depth, partly due to Ben Rutten's retirement. Sam Jacobs was extremely unlucky not to be the All-Australian ruckman this year, and Luke Lowden provides some good ruck depth.

Overall I just feel Adelaide lack a bit of depth all around the ground, and if they have an unlucky run with injuries, they could really struggle. This combined with the fact that new coach Phil Walsh will be experimenting and settling in to the job, means I don't think Adelaide will squeeze into the 8.

2015 Predictions:

B&F: Rory Sloane
Most Brownlow votes: Patrick Dangerfield (20)
Most goals: Taylor Walker (58)
Most improved: Brad Crouch
Position: 9th

Let me know what you think Crows supporters!

Tomorrow: Brisbane
Agree mate.
unless we can pick up some good defenders in the Draft/delisted free agent period.
We are gonna be in some trouble with a very Unexperienced back line.

Day 21 (~165 days to go)

Brisbane 2015 Season Preview

Brisbane were generally regarded as being the biggest winners from the trade period, with the huge inclusion of Dayne Beams into their already strong midfield. Allen Christensen will also be a handy inclusion to the Lions line-up.

A 15th place finish, combined with the retirement of Jonathan Brown, means 2014 was a year to forget for Brisbane supporters. Their is reason for optimism though in 2015, as the midfield matures into what many predict will be the strongest in the league before long.

The problems lie at the ends of the ground. They have a very weak defence, with few big names to speak of. The loss of Joel Patfull certainly didn't help there! One would imagine this would be the focus of the Lions' drafting. The forward line is stronger, with a few dangerous small forwards in Rising Star Lewis Taylor, Dayne Zorko and Sam Mayes. Ruckman Matthew Leuenberger is more than capable and supported by Stefan Martin.

2015 Predictions:

B&F: Tom Rockliff
Most Brownlow votes: Tom Rockliff (18)
Most goals: Dayne Zorko (45)
Most improved: Sam Mayes
Position: 11th

Tomorrow: Carlton

Day 22 (~164 days to go)

Carlton 2015 Season Preview

Carlton had a disappointing season in 2014, a 13th place finish not quite what they would have liked. However, they managed to bring in a few good players to plug some holes in the lineup.

Despite this, they are probably lacking both the star power (particularly at the ends of the field) and the depth to be challengers in 2015. Murphy, Gibbs, Thomas, Simpson and Judd are all experienced guns, but they hide a lack of midfield depth. With Robinson and McLean falling out of favour, it will be up to the young guns to fill the other midfield roles.

Jarrad Waite has been replace by Liam Jones in the forward line, and Levi Casboult is an imposing target but they don't have a real traditional small forward, with resting midfielders mainly taking that role. Down back, Jamison marshals the troops but again, there is a real lack of depth.

2015 Predictions:

B&F: Marc Murphy
Most Brownlow votes: Marc Murphy (19)
Most goals: Liam Jones (40)
Most improved: Kane Lucas
Position: 14th

Friday: Collingwood

Interesting and provocative move by the GWS Giants:

image.jpg

I think including Leon Cameron in there is ridiculous - he played for Richmond after he was at the Bulldogs, then coached at Hawthorn after a stint at the Bulldogs. GWS should concentrate on trying to attract a crowd, win games and keep players.

Day 23 (~163 days to go)

Yesterday, the following stories were in the news:

Suns won't rush their decision on a new coach.
Karmichael Hunt is feeling less stressed since quitting the AFL.
Mark Harvey will be unveiled as Essendon's new assistant coach in the next few days, according to Matthew Lloyd.
Brad Sewell almost kept playing at a different club before deciding to retire.

Day 24 (~162 days to go)

Today there were a few de-listings announced, including Taylor Hunt, Mitch Brown and Joel Selwood...I mean Hamling from Geelong, and Mitch Robinson, Brock McLean and Kane Lucas from Carlton (will his DPS flood the market in the next few days?). As Matty pointed out the Giants have started a provocative social media campaign using the hashtag #belessbulldog. Brisbane also unveiled their new (old) jumper for 2015; the "Paddle Pop" lion is gone and the traditional one returns.

Day 25 (162 days to go)

Hooray! The round one fixture has been released, meaning I can get rid of that darned squiggle next to the number of days left! A few blockbusters including the now traditional Hawthorn vs Geelong Easter Monday clash. The season will start as usual with Richmond vs Carlton. In other news Darren Glass joined Adelaide's coaching panel, and as expected Mark Harvey returned to Essendon.

Back
Top Bottom