2014/15 A-league cards?

At $4 a pack the value in this a league set is non existent. Fair enough you want to support a start up but Naz did a home made set that is a hundred times better than this a league set.

I would have also thought spending money on the two licences would have been costly enough without hitting the market with a poor-ish quality card set - I mean numbering your set should be a given, nothing to do with an ideal of perfection.

You only get one chance to make a first impression too.

I will wait to see how they improve the cricket and will give benefit of doubt about rushing this first set out but I can't buy it. Would be better as freebies given to kids TBH and they learn from their mistakes.

Last edited:
A load of excuses that get dolled out when the product is shit.

They should never have been released. Rush job excuse, ffs. You could have held off for another month, got some decent quality assurance in place, and sorted out these issues. I would have done it for free.

It's clearly a one man operation, out of his depth, with no collector card knowledge whatsoever.

I will be contacting the FFA, telling them what these cards should be. Maybe the can pass on the advice to crapnpay.

A load of excuses that get dolled out when the product is s***.

They should never have been released. Rush job excuse, ffs. You could have held off for another month, got some decent quality assurance in place, and sorted out these issues. I would have done it for free.

It's clearly a one man operation, out of his depth, with no collector card knowledge whatsoever.

I will be contacting the FFA, telling them what these cards should be. Maybe the can pass on the advice to crapnpay.
You know all this for a fact, do you? What makes you an expert on the subject anyway?

Hopefully the FFA take no notice of you, if your childish and ill-informed post is any evidence of your expertise. Seriously mate, "crapnpay" is something a five year-old would say.

And who the fuck are you?

And don't call me mate.

You can easily read through the vested interests and the cliques on this board, like having an early morning shit.

If this was an NRL or AFL release, OCT would self-destruct, but dare challenge what I see as the worse release ever of any sport card in this country, and I've got fools like you asking what makes me a soccer collector card expert on a collector card forum. Gee I don't know 35 years of collecting them? Genius.

Your quote : "The industry in this country has come to a grinding halt regarding Australian-produced releases. Select are more-or-less taking the piss."

And so are crapnpay.

Some advice, you're ignored, so don't waste your time replying.

Last edited:
Wow the discussion on this thread has moved into territory I never thought it would.

My journey with cards started when they came with a stick of chewing gum, and since then I've seen them in cereal boxes, loaves of bread, packets of chips. Some good, some bad, some terrible.

Do the license holders care what the product looks like - probably not, they already have the coin from the sale.
Do the card manufacturers care what the customers think or want - maybe?
If the cards don't sell will they do any more - no

The market will determine what happens to this series. if the traders and collectors don't buy in, then just leaving it up to the mums and dads to allow their little tackers to spend their pocket money on these cards, or any other cards, then the card release is as good as dead.

But back to matters at hand. In the absence of a checklist at this point, and given the informed opinion about this series, a few of you must have some of the cards already.

Any additional information as to what the cards actually are to help build on the checklist I posted late Friday, would be great.

Thanks.

@Mike_K - your well thought out posts make great reading. I am the same as you regarding my early days of card collecting :)

My response to ozfootball - and I didn't reply to his post after mine as I don't want to derail the thread - was because of how crass, abusive and dismissive he was. You have proven that it is possible to express disappointment without resorting to childish name-calling, and I admit to seeing red at his bullying, expert-on-everything approach.

Of the one packet I purchased:

WSW Nikolai Topor-Stanley
Perth Jamie Maclaren
Jets Kew Jaliens
CCM Liam Reddy
Victory Leigh Broxham
Brisbane Dimitri Petratos
Phoenix Alejandro Gorrin

Matildas Lisa De Vanna
Socceroos Tim Cahill
Socceroos Ryan McGowan

And yes, it's a disappointing release. I won't be buying it. BUT…if they improve the cut, the card stock and number the set(s)…they will have improved in my eyes.

Again, as a positive, the pics are bright, great colours, great shots and bold & glossy.

Of the one packet I purchased:

WSW Nikolai Topor-Stanley
Perth Jamie Maclaren
Jets Kew Jaliens
CCM Liam Reddy
Victory Leigh Broxham
Brisbane Dimitri Petratos
Phoenix Alejandro Gorrin

Matildas Lisa De Vanna
Socceroos Tim Cahill
Socceroos Ryan McGowan

And yes, it's a disappointing release. I won't be buying it. BUT…if they improve the cut, the card stock and number the set(s)…they will have improved in my eyes.

Again, as a positive, the pics are bright, great colours, great shots and bold & glossy.

Thanks The Mad Hatter. :)

If you are interested in swapping, I'd like the Jamie McLaren (Perth glory) card, to make that full set and the WSW player. Obviously I have a few double ups you could choose from in exchange. :)

Thanks The Mad Hatter. :)

If you are interested in swapping, I'd like the Jamie McLaren (Perth glory) card, to make that full set and the WSW player. Obviously I have a few double ups you could choose from in exchange. :)

I would, but my kids have had them. Really sorry about that. I got them all back together just to get you the player names on the 10 cards.

The PG and WSW players are actually in perfect nick. Not sure if the kids even looked at them - I gave them to them on the weekend. PM your address and I'll mail it out and you can have just to fill a hole for now.

do your cards have hairline scratches?

Mine are crescent shaped to the left side of the card. With one exception, Cahill's right down the middle.

Last edited:
None on any of the cards we have. The only imperfection I spotted was a small indent, the size of a pin head on one of the cards.

Thanks. Can you confirm when you're at home? Flat in the hand and on the scanner they don't appear.

OK, some truths.

The card stock is 50gsm short of the spec. All new cards will be on spec. 350gsm plus 20gsm celloglasing.

"Industry insiders" have been approached. So I'll assume that's the OCT mod??

All cards will be numbered in the future.

9 week window to produce, therefore they had no time for checks and balances. :ermm:

When I first was made aware that there would be a new company in the mix, I wasn't expecting anything from their first release, especially with the time constraints given. In hind site I am sure they would have loved to have placed more time and effort into to the release but it is what it is. After seeing their Cahill promo card, I decided I wouldn't be collecting this set but I am very excited as to what they will bring in the near future.

Fair enough they have released a set that is below par, however, this is their first release and they have been open to constructive criticism and have taken on aboard many peoples ideas. These guys are genuine and are open to discussion, which says more about them than Select & ESP. Select doesn't even listen to their customer base and the ESP only started to when their releases became a flop. I believe these guys have been in contact with Matt since they obtained their license, so it's great to see early interaction rather then than going on their own hunch.

As for the cricket release, I'm expecting more of the same (same as this Football release) so I'm not fussed nor concerned if I collect this or not. What I am looking forward to is their next few releases years down the track!!!
Exciting time ahead for card collectors for both codes.

What I am looking forward to is their next few releases years down the track!!! Exciting time ahead for card collectors for both codes.

It's on their website. Late 2015.

"These cards will enable traders to bump and swap cards in online collections and link to numerous competitions, your favourite players, FFA information and video links."

Such a pity, we all want to see a card publisher get it right. I have watched Card publishers come and go more than they stay – my conclusion is that it is very difficult to release a high quality card collection.

My only question is why do the newcomers not work with existing publishers that have stood the test of time?

Such a pity, we all want to see a card publisher get it right. I have watched Card publishers come and go more than they stay – my conclusion is that it is very difficult to release a high quality card collection.

My only question is why do the newcomers not work with existing publishers that have stood the test of time?
Profits on both parties. If an existing company loses a contract they are not going to want to help a new company that has taken there contract as they have lost the profit they could have gotten from the release and if the new company fails they may be able to pick up the contract rather cheaply.

Existing companies if they help it won't be out of the goodness of their heart they will charge for their expertise and the new company won't want to pay for it as it will eat into their profits.

Have to remember these companies aren't doing it for the fans they are seeking the profits they can get from the fans.

Profits on both parties. If an existing company loses a contract they are not going to want to help a new company that has taken there contract as they have lost the profit they could have gotten from the release and if the new company fails they may be able to pick up the contract rather cheaply.

Existing companies if they help it won't be out of the goodness of their heart they will charge for their expertise and the new company won't want to pay for it as it will eat into their profits.

Have to remember these companies aren't doing it for the fans they are seeking the profits they can get from the fans.

On the surface what you say is sounding correct, but on the other hand maybe slightly too matter of fact. This tap n play product may well sell only 10% of the amount they made, which is a by-product of them basically not knowing what they were doing.

By asking for another card companies help they may have produced a better product and therefore sold more, meaning the profits they gain, even by giving away a 'piece of the pie’, would have been greater. For the other trading card company, they lend their expertise for a small cut and basically they are getting paid from a collection for consulting … no license fees, print costs, no risk and a relationship with a card company that could grow into something worthwhile.

Or … as in many other industries the players within the same industry work together on a ‘you scratch my back, I scratch yours’ basis on what they bring to the party, so the consumer gets what he wants.

Back
Top Bottom