"Champions" of the Modern AFL Era 2000-2014

Is / will Luke Hodge be regarded as a champion of the AFL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hawkstarcards15

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Matt
eBay User
ingham403
Just Intrigued to hear/see which AFL Players you would call a 'Champion'. I wouldn't use the word Champion lightly but it is completely up to you :)

I will start this off with personally my Favourite player: Luke Hodge from the Hawthorn Football club.

Below is his awards/milestones/Achievements:
  • 3 time Premiership player - 2008, 2013, 2014
  • 2 time Premiership Captain - 2013, 2014
  • 2 time Peter Crimmins Medal winner (Hawthorn's Best and Fairest) - 2005, 2010.
  • AFLPA Best Captain award - 2014
  • All-Australian - 2005, 2008
Overall in my opinion, he is just a champion, from everything I have heard he is a great bloke, he is such a leader on and off the field, a fantastic player and will go down as a Champion of the Hawthorn Football club and the AFL as well. And he has still got a few years left too!

Luke Hodge 2014 Premiers Pic.jpg

Last edited:
Making a left field one here, Kane Cornes. He is leading Ports all time games leader board and will crack 300 next season. Premiership player and loyal through thick and thin. See, Port still need him, he is a midfielder who can play half back (like Hodge) however Hodgey will be remembered as the better player because of those Premiership medals. Switch Hodge and Cornes, and I have no doubt Cornes would be remembered as the better player. (BTW, I am a Fremantle supporter and am a huge fan of what Hodge brings Hawthorn, I will no doubt cop it from Hawks supporters but I simply stated my unbiased opinion)

Making a left field one here, Kane Cornes. He is leading Ports all time games leader board and will crack 300 next season. Premiership player and loyal through thick and thin. See, Port still need him, he is a midfielder who can play half back (like Hodge) however Hodgey will be remembered as the better player because of those Premiership medals. Switch Hodge and Cornes, and I have no doubt Cornes would be remembered as the better player. (BTW, I am a Fremantle supporter and am a huge fan of what Hodge brings Hawthorn, I will no doubt cop it from Hawks supporters but I simply stated my unbiased opinion)

3816676-0704928121-36645.gif

Trent Cotchin, 1x All Australian, 1x Brownlow Runner-Up, 3 Jack Dyer Medals, 2012 AFLCA Champion & Richmond Captain 2013- is more a champion then Hodge. Hands up if you know 1 player who had won 3 club B&Fs at the age of 24? Nobody should.

Trent Cotchin, 1x All Australian, 1x Brownlow Runner-Up, 3 Jack Dyer Medals, 2012 AFLCA Champion & Richmond Captain 2013- is more a champion then Hodge. Hands up if you know 1 player who had won 3 club B&Fs at the age of 24? Nobody should.

No offence to cotchin or yourselve, Where is the competition for a best and fairest each year apart from maybe Dustin Martin?

Bob Skilton has got Cotchin covered comfortably!

1958 - Age 19 - Best and Fairest winner
1959 - Age 20 - Best and Fairest winner, joint Brownlow Medallist, South Melbourne leading goal-kicker
1961 - Age 22 - Best and Fairest winner, captain
1962 - Age 23 - Best and Fairest winner, captain, South Melbourne leading goal-kicker
1963 - Age 24 - Best and Fairest winner, Brownlow Medallist, captain, South Melbourne leading goal-kicker.

Bob Skilton has got Cotchin covered comfortably!

1958 - Age 19 - Best and Fairest winner
1959 - Age 20 - Best and Fairest winner, joint Brownlow Medallist, South Melbourne leading goal-kicker
1961 - Age 22 - Best and Fairest winner, captain
1962 - Age 23 - Best and Fairest winner, captain, South Melbourne leading goal-kicker
1963 - Age 24 - Best and Fairest winner, Brownlow Medallist, captain, South Melbourne leading goal-kicker.
I meant Modern age players, like Hodge and Cotchin mate.

Is more a champion then Hodge- Where are the Premiership medals, grand final appearances, Norm Smith Medals? Im a fan of cotchin but most people would say Hodge has had a better career than Cotchin.

Is more a champion then Hodge- Where are the Premiership medals, grand final appearances, Norm Smith Medals? Im a fan of cotchin but most people would say Hodge has had a better career than Cotchin.
Still, look at guys like David Neitz, RRIICCHHOO & other now-retired stars & they haven't won a Premiership, but are some of the greatest of all time.

Also,
COTCHIN- 3 B&Fs HODGE- 2 B&Fs
COTCHIN- Brownlow Runner-Up HODGE- I don't know, but I don't think he's gone anywhere near Charlie like Cotchin.

Fair point in both messages, at the end of the day Not many people will remember runner-up in the Brownlow apart from maybe that clubs supporters. All players say they would take Team glory over Individual honours, I still think Cotchin has a bit to go to be a more regarded/ to have a better career than Hodge.

And Does anybody agree, DUSTY MARTIN GOT ROBBED IN THE Best and Fairest?

Back
Top Bottom