Cataloguing collection

Lonhro

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Adam
COMC User
lonhro
Just curious if people catalogue/index their entire card collection? And if so, how you do it.

Would be keen to see some examples.

Went through Beckett and made a wantlist and have list of my Okafors. Took my a good 10 hours I reckon of viewing, typing, comparing etc...

Exel for both haves and wants in regards to pc's. Exel for my GU and auto collections (outside of pc's).

Used excel for ages, and as most have suggested, it does the trick spot on.

I got a bit bored with it, and during my days of coding, I started to write in a VB app that would give me a user interface and access database. I was able to import spreadsheets which had been made via Beckett's online checklists (albeit they changed frequent, and I ended up having to create a template format for importing checklists).

Included a simple user-friendly interface, and reporting abilities, as well as being able to attach card scans to each stored card in a database.

I kinda left it behind over time, still have it, but as an un-finished project. Every now and then I pick it back up and do a bit more. Now I'm back into collecting again, I might purposely find more time for it, although that sometimes proves more difficult that suggested. It really wants re-writing into a web-app design, and I'd love to get it done, perhaps one day.... :)

There's so many ways to do them these days, and if you google them, there's plenty of free applications out there that'll do the same job!!

EDIT:
I don't recall doing it, but it seems I even found a way to create a Wantlist from a checklist that I'd imported into my application, based on "Haves/Wants". Neat!

Here's a snippet of what my Devin Harris PC looks like (it's empty, but it's a checklist none the less).
MyCardz_Devin_Harris_PC.jpg

Last edited:
Excel is the way to go... you can create Macros/buttons that let's you jump around quickly, across multiple tabs. It also supports formulas to let you sum things up, find averages, and more complicated stuff if you are keen.

Listing all your trade cards in Excel allows you to sort and filter, then quickly copy and paste into a message, perfect for listing cards for someone's wants.

It is a good site, excellent searching facilities for set or player collectors. Even has a 'tradelist' search function for cards that are available. There are over 220,000 cards already loaded on there

Downers are....
- You have to load one card at a time (do it on a rainy day!), although it doesn't take as long as you think.
- Images above 2048mb don't load. Basically a normal scan is fine, I find the odd candid, especially with a flash won't load.

It is a good site, excellent searching facilities for set or player collectors. Even has a 'tradelist' search function for cards that are available. There are over 220,000 cards already loaded on there

Downers are....
- You have to load one card at a time (do it on a rainy day!), although it doesn't take as long as you think.
- Images above 2048mb don't load. Basically a normal scan is fine, I find the odd candid, especially with a flash won't load.

Images above 2GB won't load? How many would be that big?

After reading this thread, I'm getting more and more encouraged to get back into my app, perhaps try to convert/transition to a hosted one online.

Images above 2GB won't load? How many would be that big?

After reading this thread, I'm getting more and more encouraged to get back into my app, perhaps try to convert/transition to a hosted one online.

I'd be interested to see what yours does as I've started one also, however yours seems a lot further along than mine!

I use word like a fool. I remember copy pasting from Beckett a couple years back and cutting the list down. now I just add any new Aminu's whenever a new product comes out. It isn't the best way but it works easy enough for my.

That site looks great.

Ive been cataloguing my collection in Beckett orgainzer since I got back into the hobby, but it costs $9 per month.

Is TC Collector free?

ahhhhh.

My Kobe collection is 1700+

My Longley collection another 300.

Might keep it as it is...

Yep TC is free. I found it awkward to use on larger collections but great on anything smaller
Well said.
As I mentioned earlier you'll find all basic scans of cards are fine for uploading to TC, it's just the odd candid scan that has more detail that won't upload. It's kinda annoying at times. You take the time to to take a great photo and then it is too large.

I use word like a fool. I remember copy pasting from Beckett a couple years back and cutting the list down. now I just add any new Aminu's whenever a new product comes out. It isn't the best way but it works easy enough for my.

Excel > Word my friend.

I'd be interested to see what yours does as I've started one also, however yours seems a lot further along than mine!

Thanks Josh, if I said as an actual windows application, it's probably around 80% complete, without Reports being written into it. But that being said, it's easy enough to put them in, or find another way for that to happen.

Back
Top Bottom