Muzza

Back to Belmore
Real Name
Murray
eBay User
muzz456
COMC User
muzz456
I'm still only buying Panini product. Topps have always struck me as being cheap (not $ wise, but more aesthetically), and if not nasty, then at least ugly or gaudy. I'll cop criticism about that statement, but just my personal opinion.
So, having offended any and all Topps collectors, there's been five Panini sets released so far and I'm not too excited about any of them. Elite looks pretty good, best by a long way so far actually, but Rookies & Stars (which I've jumped into for the last two years) is very unimpressive this year.
Certified is on the horizon and then some of the more high end sets start to come out. But is anyone looking forward to any particular release this year?
Or have any of the releases (Topps and others included) grabbed anybody yet?
I'm looking at a couple of Elite boxes just to get my feet wet. But still not so sure. :confused:

Last edited:
Personally I think I prefer Topps over Panini, but I have the feeling things have started slow this year...might be because the Rams have boring draft picks, but the releases seem a bit slow . Inception looks great, but not much in it for a lot of teams. Why Topps don't put vet hits in there as well as rookies is beyond me - they should combine Valor and Inception.

Elite used to be a staple for me, but not sure if I'll go a box this year - it just seems so much like last years...and the year before that. Have already been in a number of breaks, so have some stuff coming, about the only thing I'd like to snag is a Rams "Clarity" card, which I think is Stacy. They do look nice. R & S is always a bit weak hit wise and personally Certified is a bit too glitzy for my likes.

I'm looking forward to Black, Valor, Playbook, Absolute, Chrome, Finest, Sterling...but some will depend on what the checklist looks like.

Elite used to be a staple for me, but not sure if I'll go a box this year - it just seems so much like last years...and the year before that. Have already been in a number of breaks, so have some stuff coming, about the only thing I'd like to snag is a Rams "Clarity" card, which I think is Stacy. They do look nice. R & S is always a bit weak hit wise and personally Certified is a bit too glitzy for my likes.

I'm looking forward to Black, Valor, Playbook, Absolute, Chrome, Finest, Sterling...but some will depend on what the checklist looks like.

I think I'll wind up getting a couple of Elite boxes. Never bought a box before so looks like a good time to have a shot.
My kids go to US next month so that'll be my souvenir. ;)
Heaps of variety and quality in the inserts - Clarity, Down & Distance, Sophomore Swatches, Throwback Threads, Gridiron Kings.
I try to like Topps but I just don't like the card designs as much as Panini.

Not much has really taken my fancy this year. I do have a box of Topps Jumbo coming from DA though I just ordered today.

Trevor,

take it you will be also waiting to see who the new QB is going to be now Bradford is out for the Season!!

Sorry, can't read your post...the blood is running in my eyes from where I've been beating my head against the wall !!! :mad:

I watched the game and he looked pretty sharp too, shattered for the guy and the team...and I can't see the next Kurt Warner waiting in the wings either...Shaun Hill has it for now, but not sure he's the answer...

Another year down the tubes and draft a franchise QB next year maybe ?? So depressing.....

Sorry, can't read your post...the blood is running in my eyes from where I've been beating my head against the wall !!! :mad:

I watched the game and he looked pretty sharp too, shattered for the guy and the team...and I can't see the next Kurt Warner waiting in the wings either...Shaun Hill has it for now, but not sure he's the answer...

Another year down the tubes and draft a franchise QB next year maybe ?? So depressing.....

If it makes you feel better there have been rumors on a couple Raiders sites that they have been discussing with Rams about trading Matt Schaub...

Think I'd rather Schaub than Sanchez, even though I haven't seen much of Schaub's play.

Wonder if Jim Everett is available ??

Schaub has struggled some this pre-season. Not sure how much there is too the rumor, but I think what may have sparked some of it is that McGloin has had a really good off-season again this year and has been making some really good throws; along with Derek Carr practicing with the first team offense this week.

From PFF for the Packers game:
Matt Schaub, QB, -3.5

Breakdown: It might be time for the Raiders to admit their mistake already when it comes to Matt Schaub. The tape last season in Houston was ugly and for a quarterback-needy team taking a gamble that he could be reborn in a new environment was perhaps a dice worth rolling, but he has struggled as badly in Oakland so far this preseason and a -3.5 grade against the Green Bay starters was ugly.

Signature Play: At the 2:12 mark in the first quarterlooking to his right on a slant, Schaub saw his receiver slip in his break, pulling the ball down before electing to throw it anyway, right into harm’s way. It ended up being broken up but could well have been even worse. Typified poor decision-making.

Matt McGloin, QB, +4.3

Breakdown: If we needed the poor play of Schaub being thrust into sharp focus, we got to see some genuinely impressive play from McGloin with the backups later in the game. His familiarity with the system was apparent and he led the team to scoring drives looking far more capable of making something happen.

Signature Stat: Had a passer rating of 156.3 while under pressure, two points away from perfect and more than 100 points better than Schaub.

Last edited:
Look nice and great to see some old vets in it - like BRUUUUUCCCEEEE! Those Fabrics are starting to look a lot like Limited though ??

I'm looking at trying some different stuff (for me) so I've got a box of Elite coming next week and Certified does look pretty good. I'm trying to resist (pretty weak though) but also looking forward to a few of the better sets coming out later in the year. Most of the early stuff doesn't look too exciting.

I'm a fan of Topps Prime, Valour, Crown and Inception but will have to wait and see as they always change. As far as class goes I am a massive fan of Leaf products and I've said it before. Leaf bring it for design just a shame about licensing really. See what the year brings

Those Flair Showcase's are a blast from the past! And Jambalaya in football ???

Agree on the College uni stuff, does nothing for me either...

Yeah I guess just like Marvel Retro, they are milking it while it is hot! Real shame about the NFL uni's though. I would love to see a retro set like this with NFL uniforms! Maybe Topps could do a remake of 1995 Topps Finest or something.

Back
Top Bottom