How long to keep a card/collection

HSVPSI

High end Hawk & Future Force Collector
Real Name
Brad
eBay User
abnbb
What's everyone's personal opinions on there cards in terms of duration? Do you guys think you'll leave them in your will, pass them on to your kids if or when they appreciate it, sell before players retire, at peak of players or teams performace, when the right $$$ is offered or just when cards don't seem fun anymore?

My personal option on our cards future value rely on 3 main points.
  • Numbered produced
  • Condition of the card and if the player is a
  • One club Player
I believe that players now retiring from 10 years ago that had 600, 700 or 800 of their cards produced will decrease in value. But players in 5 to 10 years time that had 275 - 300 made and future force 30 or 40 golds made will be in high demand. Players at the peak between 23 - 28 will be the best time to sell the card but its hard letting them go sometimes.

Last edited:
This is a really good and relevant topic.

I think most people collect because they enjoy it rather than for financial gain, and there is an element of attachment to some cards which makes it hard to let go. But when you're putting up your hard earned you want to know you'll at least get that back if you decide to sell.

Adam is spot on the number produced and one club player is the key to future value and I think only the absolute champions will have a decent resale value 10-15 years after they finish up, especially with draft pick sigs. As always you've got to be smart at buying at the right time. No use selling at the peak if you paid big for the card in the first place.

My personal option on our cards future value rely on 3 main points.
  • Numbered produced
  • Condition of the card and if the player is a
  • One club Player
I believe that players now retiring from 10 years ago that had 600, 700 or 800 of their cards produced will decrease in value. But players in 5 to 10 years time that had 275 - 300 made and future force 30 or 40 golds made will be in high demand. Players at the peak between 23 - 28 will be the best time to sell the card but its hard letting them go sometimes.
I agree, it would be hard selling sets and other cards we've spent so much time trying to obtain

Just started my collection, with the plan of handing it down to my first born and continuing on collecting when he/she comes of age.
Hoping they appreciate the RFC as much as I have the last 21 years.

End of the day it's only cardboard, so if I receive an offer that is double what I paid, I will happily let it go :).

I'm not sure how much value the cards we collect are going to hold in the future, especially with AFL, since there seems to be a fair bit of each card. Over the past few years there has been a downward curve for the overall value of AFL cards.

But it all comes back to why you are in the hobby in the first place, for the love of the hobby or $$$?

Back
Top Bottom