Panini, same crafty practices.

Nicolasharris1

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Nicolas Harris
eBay User
Nicolasharris
Panini autos

One still photo of a footballer in front of a stack of sticky tape sheets will not convince me that all the autographs are genuine. I got burnt buying into Panini America fakes previously.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/it...-sentenced-months-prison-blog-entry-1.1632441

In this day and age nothing short of video showing footballer signing all these stickers will convince me otherwise.

Does anyone know how many cards are released, how many autograph stickers are signed etc.. we don't know how many are out there or what cards they're going on. So its not really a set of autograph cards, its a set of stickers taped to cards with no long term value.Theres no info on how many cards were made and whether the stickers were exclusive to those cards which I'm guessing from other collectors feedback they weren't, so its not really an autographed card that is why the latest Panini sticky tape autographs have halved in price in just a few weeks
It makes me think that the only thing Panini America have learnt from past experience is to be more crafty, they've lost my interest, and I won't be buying.

Yeah there is probably a huge amount of signed stickers reserved for other releases much like topps have with premier gold and a previous version of match attax.
I think Upper deck have done it in the past as well. I don't know that I agree with "no long term value" about stickered autos. Try and get a Beckham or Ronaldo stickered auto from the Upper deck releases of 2003/2004 on the cheap!! Or even a Ronaldo from Premier Gold. In fact, when you see a Ronaldo Prizm auto going for $500 please let me know coz I will buy one since they are going for half price somewhere??? I have looked and I can't see one for much change of $1000. Where your argument re these Prizm auto prices has gone off track a bit is that it is a World Cup release so depending on how the player or the team they represent is going will make the price go up or down. For example Neymar Jr autos weren't very expensive at first as none of the US market knew who he was, now look what a Neymar Jr auto goes for!
What I don't like is the same sticker being used on a base auto, /50, /25 and a 1/1 just because the background is a different colour. It's a false sense of scarcity

Last edited:
Yeah I had a feeling these cards would drop dramatically in price a few weeks after release. Pure overkill this release is and it will be hard for cards to hold their initial value. Messi is the only one I can think of that hasn't had a dramatic $ fall. Not happy that Neymar has gone up in price lol.

I have a few signature cards I will buy after the world cup but that's about it. This set was overrated with far too many prizms/parallels etc.

I'm not sold on sticker auto's, but sadly, that is the direction the hobby seems to be heading.

I didn't notice many premiums during the world cup for auto's. The only noticeable one was, of course, Rodriguez. Robben went up abit too when Holland looked like they had a chance but fell after that. Tim Howard seems to have done OK due to US popularity.

What makes me think that values are going to crash is that even a Messi Auto can not hold its value...

There are countless Messi Panini Prizm autos on ebay now for ~$600

But a Panini 2004 Messi Auto is going for about ~$100.

Lionel Messi Rookie Card Autograph Prizm World Cup 2014 Panini Soccer CL Futera | eBay

It doesn't look like the demand will last for these Autos...

Last edited:
I didn't notice many premiums during the world cup for auto's. The only noticeable one was, of course, Rodriguez. Robben went up abit too when Holland looked like they had a chance but fell after that. Tim Howard seems to have done OK due to US popularity.

What makes me think that values are going to crash is that even a Messi Auto can not hold its value...

There are countless Messi Panini Prizm autos on ebay now for ~$600

But a Panini 2004 Messi Auto is going for about ~$100.

Lionel Messi Rookie Card Autograph Prizm World Cup 2014 Panini Soccer CL Futera | eBay

It doesn't look like the demand will last for these Autos...

Yes, prices dropping. There are a lot of stickers of same names yet to be stuck on cards which will get more common. Will we see the $1 autographs (and relic cards) that came from Topps Premier gold 2013/14? Time will tell.

Who else has been contacted by a journalist at ESPN (USA) for an interview about Panini. They seem to be putting something together about all this fake stuff Panini released.

Lol probably nobody Nicholas. ..they know you are the man for the job ;)
Also wtf would ESPN be doing a piece on Panini? That's random.... I like it

BBC uk just contacted me regarding a piece they are doing on Futera.... must be about the blatantly forged auto cards :D
Don't worry, I tried to assure them that they are wrong but then the reporter asked why I don't have any in such a vast collection of Manchester United cards.... I had to hang up.

Last edited:
BBC uk just contacted me regarding a piece they are doing on Futera.... must be about the blatantly forged auto cards :D
Don't worry, I tried to assure them that they are wrong but then the reporter asked why I don't have any in such a vast collection of Manchester United cards.... I had to hang up.

touché Shawn, at least you try and add some humour into my ramblings … although I do feel a United card collection minus the Futera George Best autograph card from 1997 is a bit 'cutting your nose off to spite your face' … don’t you think?

Anyhow, I was being serious, a number of us have been contacted by a Reporter from ESPN regarding fake cards released by Panini, I see it’s mentioned on other forums including Blowout:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/805443-anyone-else-flawless-thread-get-ebay-email.html

The ESPN reporter is Bryan Curtis from New York.
email: [email protected]

I ended up with one better, Futera contacting me, telling me to stop exposing their dodgy practices while they were operating in Aus lol.

Nicolas is right, you need that Futera Best in your collection :p

That Futera George Best is certainly a genuine one, and a nice looking card. I believe they were paying players to sign for them back then.

Yeah that is true. Back then they were actually genuine autos. I would def buy one if I could find it. I actually have the solskjaer and stiles redemption autos from around that time.
I believe there is a Denis Law to match the Best as well.. so one day I might have 4 in my pc.
But that would be it. Do you have one of the Best or Law autos @Nicolasharris1 ?
I wish that Futera just go back to the old days and put out genuine autos, then I could buy them. I like some of their designs but to me they are a novelty card like the old Michael Jordan promo cards that used to have all the gold leaf on them, not worth a pinch of $h!t but look cool. Lol
Anyways, I am always happy to bring the laughs, much cheaper than bringing the beers ;)

Last edited:
BTW flawless is NOT a football set! Panini can do what they want with flawless ... just don't mess with football cards. The UCL set panini put out with autos of lampard, carrick, park etc are legit so that is all I am saying. The only Futera auto I have seen in recent years and thought maybe it's proper is .....naah just back to the gags ;)
They are making a living, and it's not like they are killing anyone so if you buy Futera , cool and good luck to the many who do. I don't and better luck to me lol

8 months or so on after WC. Prizm messi auto still going fr bout $500ish. And dont even talk about ronaldo... Its going $1500 up now.

And not just the autos. The greens and golds are still as high if not higher than ever.

Which sucks cos i cant seem to buy the cards that i want still :(

@shawnkemp40 The 1994 Futera Craig Johnston signature was their first legitimate football signature card, only problem is that the directors kept a fair chunk of these cards (only the signature & Certificate cards) and only less than 40 odd were ever redeemed (redemption card + Signature & Certificate cards). That's why they have a hefty price tag lol ;).

I actually read the blowout cards link above about this ESPN guy and the actual discussion about a particular card which
a. Started mid last year
b. Even people in the forum aren't sure about the facts
c. The thread just ends without any result... sounds like some ppl trying to scare monger to me.
Pretty baseless and pointless considering it is being put here on OCT in soccer discussion and it has absolutely nothing to do with it!
@Nicolasharris1 we know you like Futera stuff and that's cool man, but no use bringing up a questionable thread from another forum related to a couple of grid iron cards in a football (soccer) setting. I think you get a buzz out of winding ppl up who bag Futera as you seem to re light this fire every so often ;)
In any event, as has been said probably at least a couple of hundred times before, as collectors we purchase and collect what we like and are comfortable spending our hard earned on. Nobody should be questioning or judging anyone ones personal preference in their collecting. Each to their own... at the end of the day, a card company can say what they want about where a jersey swatch came from, we will never know for sure. As far as autos go, I have more than enough in my collection to make a very accurate judgement call on what I will and will not spend money on. I don't jump up and down and ask why people buy what in my opinion may be a questionable auto card. That's their choice and their money so good luck to them. :)

I buy Futera cards (all card companies are dodgy, so I don't discriminate :lol:) and am happy with the purchases I made as I know the signatures are legit. At the end of the day, if you are happy with the cards you purchase, it shouldn't matter what other people think. Just enjoy the collecting.

If someone wants to sell me a man utd futera auto from 2005 onwards from a pack not TTM or IP for $15 dlvd I will take it. Don't care who the player is, as long as they are in a united kit with the club crest showing. Hehehe, I know it's not possible but a fun ponderment to close my involvement with this topic/thread. :)

For those that have not followed the saga of Panini latest fake cards, this time with the great Babe Ruth (cut autograph), this is the link:

https://mobile.twitter.com/haulsofshame/status/588369636711870464

This is why I stay away from the Panini shady brand.

but they had photos from the signing session!

1.10.17.png

Back
Top Bottom