2014 Select Honours 1 - What are your thoughts

I am thinking that I want to bust some packs when I go to Adelaide next month! I think the quality of the release - particularly the condition of the "in pack" signature cards - has been a pleasant surprise. Select have done well I reckon!

I think they are appealing. But from other more experienced collectors there is concerns on quality, ie scratching easy. But I do find the. Eye catching. Really disappointed they will not continue with draft pick sigs, and miss the rookies and rising stars.

i think they are a well produced series that look good in hand.

but, i feel it lacks another different insert or 2 as they have made to many of the same card which makes the cards hold less value.
also i have noticed that if you get a brownlow sig or redemption in ur box you get a masters as well. but alot of other boxes in the same case have nothing. not enough spread thru a case.

Yeah agree, I know that I am not keen in champions anymore and will search for a master set to buy and move on to team coach. But have enjoyed Selects second series. Think they need to listen to the punter though. Father / Son redemption would be brilliant.

Last edited:
Overall, I'm a fan. The commons are a tad boring, but I like the fact that there's some obscure players in there (eg Essendon have Ambrose, Gleeson and Baguley but no Heppell, Watson or Goddard). Like the changes to the All Australians making them rarer and classier looking. I also like the background pick on the DPS of the player in their under 18's state action. Nice touch. I like the historical element with the whole Brownlow theme. Makes it quite collectable for mine. Agree with @rainz and the lack of spread. Also finding a lot of repetition but have found that often with Select products.

Not a fan, hence not buying boxes and just picking up singles.

By being so Brownlow focused its all very VFL-centric. Makes me wish a national league could've been formed from a clean slate, with its own awards and titles.

You can keep your dusty old Brownlow sigs, give me a Bill Walker or Phil Narkle Sandover Medal sig anyday :D

(also the print runs are too long. Brownlow sigs should be #/100 at the most, so they retain the value collectors feel they should. Masters should've followed in Prime Drafts' footsteps and been a similarly short run. And the Masters design should've shown off more of the guernsey. Having them cropped to position their head dead center makes player look short and obscures their team colours. Positively though the Brownlow Gallery cards look awesome - better than Masters - and the DPS's have the best design in the years)

I was a little dissapointed when I busted my case as I had the 2 brownlow sigs and premiership redemption busted in 1st 4 boxes and I automatically thought any wonder people search cases, I could have sold the remaining 12 boxes and made a nice profit but don't like that so opened the lot, I am currently busting a case of 2012 eternity and it's much more fun which I put down to eternity having more cards that are numbered it's always more fun getting an insert and checking if it's a nice low number but that's just me, can't fault the quality though they look nice

i think they are a well produced series that look good in hand.

but, i feel it lacks another different insert or 2 as they have made to many of the same card which makes the cards hold less value.
also i have noticed that if you get a brownlow sig or redemption in ur box you get a masters as well. but alot of other boxes in the same case have nothing. not enough spread thru a case.
I agree with your point about another set. I was getting a little sick of the brownlow gallery cards.

This was my first box in a long time: Generally very impressed in the quality of the cards and the autos and designs
  • Great that there is a full set in a box
  • Interesting checklist of players
  • love the refractor look of the sketches and AA
  • Autos need to be lower numbered - particularly the brownlow sigs
  • would like to see more action shots than photoshopped individual photos

Not a fan, hence not buying boxes and just picking up singles.

By being so Brownlow focused its all very VFL-centric. Makes me wish a national league could've been formed from a clean slate, with its own awards and titles.

You can keep your dusty old Brownlow sigs, give me a Bill Walker or Phil Narkle Sandover Medal sig anyday :D

(also the print runs are too long. Brownlow sigs should be #/100 at the most, so they retain the value collectors feel they should. Masters should've followed in Prime Drafts' footsteps and been a similarly short run. And the Masters design should've shown off more of the guernsey. Having them cropped to position their head dead center makes player look short and obscures their team colours. Positively though the Brownlow Gallery cards look awesome - better than Masters - and the DPS's have the best design in the years)

Pretty much what was said above.
i get around 4 to 5 boxes each year. This year, being a Power only collector, i have bought 3 packets... Will get what i need when it dies down on ebay.

Good commons, all cards look good in hand.
But only good for the OLD vfl days. Not the current AFL. And will be worse next year without DPS sigs in the release.
print run on 90% of the cards are WAY to long!
But the designs and card stock used looks good. I like the DPS break down of older years on the club logo common.

Ebay i dont think has been as flooded with cards by now as normal. And i believe that shows that it isnt selling as well to.

Back
Top Bottom