Old Vintage Boxes

rhinks

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Russell
eBay User
rhinks
Hi All

I've been following the NBA closely since 1988. Have two young boys who have rekindled my interest in collecting cards. The new stuff is good but there is just way too much for my budget. I've really enjoyed watching case/box breaks lately but Panini seems to be releasing something every week.

Anyway I'm looking to buy some Vintage boxes from the early 1990's. DaCardworld has a couple around this vintage. Anyone bought an old box and pulled something good? Worried that these boxes are left over from cases that have had all the life sucked out of them?

Cheers

Russell

Depends what you're going after.

95/96 Flair for me was a great break. Some nice hits and great value.

Others I've broken over the years.

93/94 Skybox = Great fun and cheap
93/94 Upper Deck SE = Great fun and cheap
94/95 Flair SRS 2 = Fun and cheap
95/96 Fleer SRS 1
96/97 Ultra = Hit or miss but great fun
97/98 Topps Chrome = very hit or miss but also fun.

The main concern is cards sticking together. So it really depends what you're going for.

I would be going for 93/94 Ultra or 95/96 Flair for value now.

The rest are all fun though.

Check out bbcexchange too they might have some stuff I've bought 90's and 00's from there before and has been great (and fun)

Possibly my fave place to get them from! Postage is a killer when you get excited at the small prices for the boxes, but it all washed out in the end!!

I've got a couple still lying around but wouldnt be of interest I doubt;
Around the 91-92, 92-93 & 93-94 years I think; UD, Fleer, and maybe a Hoops.

Spewing I sold my last 94-95 Skybox Emotion sealed box. I've had 3 of them over time, opened 2 and sold the 3rd. One of those boxes I wanted to keep for the sake of having one, but needed the coin back then.

Thanks for the replies guys... looks like I've got some researching to do. So some of the cards after all this time stick together and are worthless??

Noticed some clearance boxes from DA Card World very cheap. Why are they this cheap? Obviously the redemption cards are no longer valid but is there another reason why I couldn't pull something good from these?

Thanks for the replies guys... looks like I've got some researching to do. So some of the cards after all this time stick together and are worthless??

Noticed some clearance boxes from DA Card World very cheap. Why are they this cheap? Obviously the redemption cards are no longer valid but is there another reason why I couldn't pull something good from these?

Most of the cards from the early 90s wouldn't fetch much - just bust them for fun mate. I recently bought some 92/93 topps series 2 and 92/93 hoops series 1 boxes from dacardworld. Just be careful of the shipping rates, once you add 3-4 boxes it can get expensive as the older boxes are really heavy compared to todays stuff.

I've found the early 90s stuff sticks a little but the late 90s sticks a lot. I t really depends what you're going after.

I busted a box of 93/94 Skybox for $35 purely just to "pull" my own Jordan base from the set.

Try 94/95 Flair, won't stick and you'll enjoy the break.

If you have the money, try 95/96 Flair, you won't be disappointed.

20yrs on from their original releases, the 90s stuff basically was hyped a LOT back in it's time, possibly with all releases - and in today's day, some releases more so than others. I remember my best friend (still besties to this day) busted a Shaq 94-95 Ultra Scoring King - possibly THE biggest pull from that set, and back then it was like cardboard gold to us. We helped him slab it and hold on to it. Every time we visited his place, we'd admire the almighty that it was!

REAL Vintage cards (80s and pre) are the ones that have retained their values and in most cases, increased a fair bit over time - may still do, who knows. These days it all comes down to what cards are still in circulation. The more cards that disappear off the open market (going to set-collectors, etc) the harder they become to find, naturally.

Have a look on COMC.com for some of the insert sets from each release, and you'll see lots of cheapy $1 and $2 cards everywhere, but nothing REALLY hitting the high prices, other than some of the more exquisite releases such as Finest to name one - what's a 93-94 Finest Refractor MJ go for these days?

COMC should give you a fair idea on what "hits" you're likely to find in those boxes, and what sort of prices their "worth" on the open markets.

I mentioned Emotion above earlier. Plenty of singles on COMC, but rare to find a sealed hobby box these days! The cards contained within don't REALLY command a premium (with some exceptions), but an actual sealed box might set you back $100USD. - I used to pay around $10-$12 bucks a pack at my local back in high school!!

In most cases of busting a 90s box these days, is either for set-chasing, or just for plain old fun. :)

I really like busting boxes that have a 1:1 ratio for certain "hits" - Collectors Choice Silver Sigs, Ultra Gold Medallions, etc.

Back
Top Bottom