Official Dante Exum Thread

panini-america-dante-exum-1.jpg

Panini America, the world’s largest sports and entertainment collectibles company, announced today that it has signed an exclusive autograph trading card agreement with Australian basketball sensation Danté Exum, projected to be a top-five pick in June’s 2014 NBA Draft. The agreement includes the release of Exum’s NBA trading cards and autographed cards exclusively through Panini America and a limited number of autographed memorabilia pieces through Panini Authentic, the autograph and memorabilia division of Panini America.
Exum’s first NBA trading cards and autographed cards will arrive in October with the release of 2014-15 NBA Hoops Basketball. His autographed memorabilia will be available on the Panini Authentic website.
“Danté is one of the most talented and intriguing players in a rich 2014 NBA Draft Class and he will be a rookie cornerstone for us during the 2014-15 season,” said Panini America CEO Mark Warsop. “His NBA trading cards and autographed memorabilia will be in high demand from the beginning and will attract an international fan base. We’re happy to welcome Danté to the Panini family and look forward to a great relationship with him.”
An 18-year-old point guard, Exum has excelled against international competition. He averaged more than 18 ppg for Australia in the 2013 FIBA U19 tournament en route to earning All-Tournament Team honors. In January, Exum led his team to the tournament title in the Australian National High School Basketball Championships.
“This is an incredibly exciting time for me as I prepare to begin my NBA career and realize a lifelong dream,” Exum said. “The fact that Panini America has embraced me as a member of their family is an honor. I look forward to helping them create some great cards and memorabilia – and to doing everything I can on the court and off to keep their values high.”
Panini America is the only company in the world that manufactures licensed trading cards and stickers for the NBA, NFL, NFL PLAYERS, NHL, NHLPA, MLBPA and FIFA World Cup. The company also has exclusive relationships with USA Baseball, USA Basketball and the U.S. Soccer Women’s National Team. In addition Panini also has relationships with the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, The Pro Football Hall of Fame and the National Baseball Hall of Fame and owns exclusive entertainment licenses with Disney, One Direction and Michael Jackson, and more than 600 global licenses with other sports and entertainment properties.
b.gif

Continue reading...

“If I get the opportunity to go to L.A. and play for the Lakers, and just to be in an environment where you have a great player like Kobe.

Obviously picking his brain and what he’s done. How he’s kind of adapted over the years because he’s definitely in the talk of one of the greatest players of all-time.

To be trying to like mentor a rookie. I think that would be the best option.”

Projected top 5 pick Dante Exum on wanting to join the LA Lakers.

via Bleacher Report

Can't wait to see the young gun at play on the big stage.
Will be ramping up my collection once he starts playing.
I remember when he was a kid playing in Seabrook (early 2000s) and Cecil would also coach my team from time to time.
Good kid, and a loving family.

Can't wait to see the young gun at play on the big stage.
Will be ramping up my collection once he starts playing.
I remember when he was a kid playing in Seabrook (early 2000s) and Cecil would also coach my team from time to time.
Good kid, and a loving family.

Imagine the hype if he somehow ends up on the Lakers?

I think it would most likely be a great fit because he won't be under pressure to carry a team, he'll have Kobe to mentor him, but they hype will still be crazy, a lot of Aussies will pc him as well as Laker fans.

I'd prefer that then Exum going to a Milwaukee or Utah.

http://m.solecollector.com/news/adi...04+2014&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

adidas Signs Top 2014 NBA Draft Prospect Dante Exum
POSTED Apr 17, 2014 - 1 day ago
adidas-signs-dante-exum-01.jpg

via Press Release

Today, adidas announced a partnership with Australian NBA Draft prospect Dante Exum. Just 18 years old, the 6-foot-6 combo guard is projected to be a high lottery pick in June.

“I’m really excited to join the adidas family,” said Exum. “I’ve had the opportunity to play in adidas Nations in the past and I’ve always liked their shoes and gear. I look forward to what’s to come for me and adidas.”

A graduate of the prestigious Australian Institute of Sport, Exum’s career includes a gold medal finish at the 2013 FIBA Oceania Championship and silver medal finish in the 2012 FIBA Under-17 World Championships. Exum also participated in the adidas Nations program in 2011 and 2012, leading Australia to a fourth place finish in 2012. Exum grew up with strong basketball roots, his father Cecil Exum was a member of the 1982 University of North Carolina NCAA National Championship team before playing professional basketball in Australia.

“Dante is a gifted player,” said Chris Grancio, adidas head of global basketball sports marketing. “His hard work ethic and play have made him successful at every level of competition, but what makes him special is his great attitude and unselfish team approach to the game.”

Exum joins an elite group of adidas Basketball point guards that includes Derrick Rose, John Wall and Damian Lillard. He’ll be featured in a variety of upcoming adidas initiatives and will play a role in the development of basketball footwear and apparel.

adidas-signs-dante-exum-02.jpg

http://www.basketball.net.au/hype-grows-boomers-exum-nba-draft-nears/

Hype grows for Boomers' Exum as NBA Draft nears
Exum_580.jpg

BasketballAus.png

Author
Basketball Australia
Official Basketball Australia Media Release
View all articles by Basketball Australia
Share this article
Hype grows for Boomers' Exum as NBA Draft nears
Posted on Monday, May 5th, 2014 by Basketball Australia
As the 2014 NBA Draft draws closer, the hype surrounding Australian Boomers guard Dante Exum continues to grow.
Read more ›
Less than two months away from the NBA Draft talk around the 18-year-old Melbournian has intensified, with many experts placing Exum among the top five prospects in a draft pool considered to be the best in nearly a decade.
Highly-regarded ESPN draft analyst Chad Ford released the ninth update of his NBA Draft Big Board last week, with Exum holding steady at number four. Ford believes despite not coming through the college system, Exum is highly-rated by NBA teams.
Exum is the wild card,” Ford said.
Every GM I speak to loves him. But their information on him is limited, and depending on how the draft lottery works out, they might not even be able to see him up close. The Magic and Kings are the two teams most likely to consider him with one of those first two picks.
Ford has long been an admirer of Exum, impressed by his performances in leading the Australian Emus to the semi-finals of the 2013 FIBA Under 19 World Championships. Praise for the teenager has also been forthcoming from fellow ESPN analyst Jeff Goodman.
Goodman released the second edition of his 2014 NBA Mock Draft on Thursday, anticipating Exum would be taken with the fifth pick by the Boston Celtics – believing his talent alone would be too much to be overlooked.
The Aussie is a mystery to some degree, but he has the size and athleticism that will blow teams away,” Goodman said.
Exum is a combo guard right now, but the Celtics just need talent – and Exum has all the upside.
Since announcing his intention to nominate for the NBA Draft in late January, Exum has relocated to the USA, where he is under the guidance of Rob Pelinka – who has NBA star Kobe Bryant among his clients.
Exum has been working out with legendary trainer Tim Grover, who has worked with Bryant and all-time great Michael Jordan. In addition to a busy training workload, the endorsement deals are beginning to role in for Exum, recently signing a deal with athletic brand Adidas and memorabilia company Panini America.
The 2014 NBA Draft will take place at the Barclays Centre, the home of the Brooklyn Nets, on the morning of Friday 27 June Australian time.

there's a couple of videos there too that didn't paste.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basket...menon-dante-exum/story-fndkzqrr-1226906255137

Meet Australia’s next global superstar, basketball phenomenon Dante Exum

• by: CAMERON TOMARCHIO
  • 13 hours ago May 05, 2014 4:32PM
NBA calling for talented Aussie Dante Exum 0:01
FSD_031213_NBA_DANTE_EXUM_PROSPECT_VSV.jpg

Boomers guard Dante Exum has been touted as one of Australia's most promising players with a move to the NBA imminent.
  • Fox Sports
  • 03 Dec 2013
  • Sport/More Sports

252646-d502cf60-d3fd-11e3-95ae-9151c7cd2575.jpg

NBA scouts are drooling over Dante Exum. Source: News Limited
BASKETBALL pundits across America are weighing in on the talents of Dante Exum right now.
With the clock ticking down to the June 27 (AEST) NBA Draft, the Australian teenager is a hot topic.
Adidas signed the 18-year-old to a multi-million dollar deal last month in anticipation of the East Melbourne kid becoming one of the sport’s biggest names — and, indeed, one of sport’s biggest names.
To put it into perspective, this year’s NBA Draft class has been touted as one of the best in years and Exum — a 1.98m (6ft 6in) guard — is expected to be selected in the top five.
Another exceptional teenage talent, 19-year-old Canadian Andrew Wiggins, has been labelled the best since LeBron James. He is rated the top prospect for 2014, but the jury is out on whether Exum would be a better selection.
252675-c0fdbe80-d3fd-11e3-95ae-9151c7cd2575.jpg

Dante Exum has landed a multi-million dollar deal with Adidas. Source: Getty Images
“While Exum isn’t quite as long and athletic, he’s far more skilled,” wrote Jonathan Tjarks on RealGM.com, comparing him with Wiggins.
“He’s an elite athlete in his own right and he plays with more poise than Wiggins, despite being six months younger.
“Forget which one has the better highlight tape and who is getting more publicity — passing up Exum to take Wiggins could be a mistake.”
MORE: Do LeBron and Jordan despise each other?
Sports Illustrated’s Peter Bukowski added: “With big-time scoring ability, NBA teams see him as a potential All-Star and sure-fire lottery pick.
“He has already proven himself against elite young talent from around the world, both on the Australian National team and at exhibitions like the Hoops Summit in Portland.”
SB Nation, meanwhile, declared Exum “the best NBA prospect you probably don’t know”.

external

Exum’s father Cecil was drafted by the NBA’s Denver Nuggets in the famed 1984 Draft, which featured Hall of Famers Hakeem Olajuwon (No. 1 pick), Michael Jordan (No. 3), Charles Barkley (No. 5) and John Stockton (No. 16).
Cecil Exum played college basketball with Jordan and was selected in the ninth round (194th overall) but made his name in Australia, playing with the North Melbourne Giants, Melbourne Tigers and Geelong Supercats — so Dante was raised in Melbourne.
Dante Exum went through the Australian Institute of Sport, the same program that developed NBA stars Luc Longley, Andrew Bogut and Patrick Mills, as well as the WNBA’s Lauren Jackson.
He is now set to enter the draft without having honed his game in college, similarly to LeBron who was selected No. 1 by the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2003 straight out of high school.

external

Exum, who has caught the attention of scouts with his lightning speed, says he models his game on Chicago Bulls superstar guard Derrick Rose.
“I’m a big point guard who likes to get to the basket a lot and kick out to open shooters or open big men and create for others,” Exum said.
“I’ve been watching Rose for a while. He’s that type of player who likes to break down his opponent, get to the rim and finish over the big men and also create for others.
“That’s one part of his game that is similar to mine and I want to improve my game to be like his.”
Exum has also signed a lucrative trading card deal with Panini, the NBA’s sole trading-card licensee.
While the details of Exum’s deals have not been disclosed, Adidas and Nike have reportedly been battling to sign Wiggins to a multi-year deal worth $A193 million.
262213-f0ecc5f0-d3fd-11e3-95ae-9151c7cd2575.jpg

Dante Exum in action for Australia. Source: Supplied

insider article so you need to log in:

Top 10 point guard prospects
Dante Exum headlines ranking of best point guards in 2014 draft class
Updated: May 6, 2014, 11:17 AM ET
By Chad Ford | ESPN Insider

nba_g_amsts_576x324.jpg
Getty Images
Both Dante Exum and Marcus Smart could be selected among the first five picks in June's draft.

We're in a bit of draft limbo at the moment. Draft workouts won't start for a few more weeks, and most of those will be workouts for second-round prospects. The real action won't heat up until the Chicago pre-draft combine in mid-May.
Until then, we're stuck doing what every team out of the playoffs is doing: watching film and trying to create rankings. We already have a Big Board 9.0 and a Mock Draft 4.0.
Here's a look at the draft from a different perspective: the Top 10 players by position based on feedback from NBA scouts and general managers. We begin by examining the top point guards in the 2014 draft class.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...rd-top-10-point-guard-prospect-list-nba-draft

Interview // Dante Exum Talks Joining Adidas, His Favorite Sneakers & The NBA Draft
POSTED May 09, 2014 - 20 hours ago

Dante%20Retouch%20980.jpg

words & interview // Nick DePaula
Earlier in the week, several of the NCAA's highest profile names officially decided on their agent respresentation, setting the stage for negotiations to get underway for the major endorsement that every future NBA rookie is after: The Shoe Deal.
For Australian-born combo guard and expected lottery pick Dante Exum, he's already been officially clad in head-to-toe adidas gear for three weeks and focusing on his training, as he was the first person in his draft class to strike a shoe deal.
Negotiated by agent Rob Pelinka of Landmark Sports, Exum's multi-year endorsement deal with adidas Basketball was announced on April 17th, a full two months before the NBA Draft takes place in New York City. The timetable is a rarity in recent years, as the trend over the past five drafts has been for brands to patiently wait and see which market players land in before signing deals.
That wasn't the case for Dante Exum.
"There's obviously a lot of uncertainty in terms of which team is going to draft him and where he's going to go, but we feel pretty strongly about bringing him into the brand," says Chris Grancio, adidas Head of Global Basketball Sports Marketing.
Whether it ends up being Los Angeles, Milwaukee, Orlando or anywhere in between, Grancio and the adidas Basketball group have no problem outfitting the 18 year-old as he embarks on his pro journey and makes the rare leap to the top of the NBA's Draft board without any college experience. On the bold side, some have pegged the 6'6" playmaking guard's worst-case scenario as Michael Carter-Williams, and his best-case comparison as Penny Hardaway.
Dante%20Nations%20773.jpg

The expectations might be lofty, but that's nothing new for the long-touted Exum. While he might be relatively unknown to a general American audience that's more familiar with the likes of Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins, Exum's pedigree is long known in basketball circles. His father Cecil played alongside Michael Jordan at the University of North Carolina, and after going pro himself in the 1984 NBA Draft, he moved to Melbourne, Australia in 1986 to continue his playing career overseas. His eventual wife Desiree joined him for the journey, together they raised three children, and the family has called Australia home ever since.
After following in his 6'6" father's footsteps, Dante's love for hoops and his rising talent helped get him placed into the Australian Institute of Sport, the country's largest athletic academy that also helped mold the games of Andrew Bogut, Lauren Jackson and Patty Mills. The AIS is hoping they can soon add Exum's name to their impressive list of alums, while adidas hopes he'll be another elite level point guard on their brand roster.
"We love Dante, and not only do we think he is a fantastic athlete that has the potential to be an NBA All-Star with the way that he plays, but we also love his personality, his work ethic and the way that he's wired," Grancio beams. "Having gotten a chance to know him, he's just someone that we're happy to have as part of our brand family."
While he's played in the adidas Nations summer camps and tournaments the past two years, Exum's first official experience as part of the adidas "brand family" came just as his deal was made public last month. Accompanied by his mother Desiree and his agent, who was wearing his 1989 NCAA Championship ring and was later on a teammate of the "Fab 5" at Michigan, the three made the short flight from LA, where Pelinka is based and where Dante is training, to Portland, Oregon. After landing on a late Wednesday afternoon, Exum jumped right into a full photoshoot at the adidas Village's basketball court, snapping candids and action shots that would eventually accompany his press release the folllowing morning.
With a full schedule on his plate and a 9 AM start time the following day, Exum, Desiree and Pelinka settled into the brand's hoops showroom. Future products were showcased throughout the room, along with well-placed custom jerseys of expected NBA lottery teams, each featuring "EXUM" and his Australian national team jersey #7.
The stage was set, and soon Exum was diving into brand presentations from every function of the Basketball category: Sports Marketing, Communications, Brand Marketing, Apparel, Performance Footwear and the adidas Originals Footwear team. He then took a tour through the adidas Innovation Team's research area, where he got his feet and body scanned to help with any footwear or apparel fit needs. At just 18, Exum is still sorting out how to give his feedback on things like style, materials and colorways, but he took a particular interest during the overview of the brand's recent commercial campaigns.
His favorite player is Derrick Rose, and he's been quoted saying he likes the way DRose can "break down his opponent, get to the rim and finish over the big men and also create for others. That's one part of his game that is similar to mine." While Derrick is seven years older with a Rookie of the Year award, three All-Star appearances and an MVP trophy (and five signature shoes) under his belt, Exum hopes to one day get to that level. "I want to improve my game to be like his.”
During the campaign recap portion of the marketing presentation, Exum was captivated by each of DRose's spots, whether it was the lighthearted "Slim Chin: Fast Don't Lie" ad or the most recent and more serious "Basketball Is Everything" mantra. Dante is just now getting a sense of how big his own "personal brand" can also be, and even though he's from Australia and will be playing in America, recaps of the tours through Asia and Europe that Derrick and Dwight Howard have taken, along with the category's huge social media reaches around the world also struck a chord.
"We're a global brand," Lorrin Pascoe, adidas Basketball's Senior Global Communications Manager, sharply told him. "We're not just limiting you to what market you're drafted to."
Exum%20980%20Bleacher.jpg

It was a lot to soak up for Exum, who's just getting started on the path to being a pro. With his parents by his side, a seasoned agent that reps the likes of Kobe Bryant, James Harden, Eric Gordon and many others, and a serious approach to training thanks to his time with the Australian Institute of Sport, he's ready for the challenge.
After losing to Dante 21-18 in a heated ping pong match (his table skills were honed during downtime against fellow student athletes at the AIS; mine on lifeguard shift breaks at the Greenhaven Cabana Club), we had a chance to catch up and talk about his busy day of brand and product presentations, his favorite sneakers to play in, and how he plans to continue preparing for the NBA Draft Combine, which kicks off next Wednesday, and the NBA Draft, slated for June 26th.
You can follow Dante on Instagram and Twitter, and check out our chat below.
Nick DePaula: What were some of your first experiences with the brand growing up?
Dante Exum: My first experience with the brand was adidas Nations. In Australia, other brands were above it, and it was my first introduction to the brand and that's when it took over with me. That's when I started wearing the shoes, liking the shoes and liking all of their products. I think that's when I started to say that these were the shoes I wanted to play in.
NDP: Were there any particular models that you liked playing in the most? Around the time you started with Nations, the first Crazy Light was just coming out.
DE: Yeah, so the Crazy Light was the biggest shoe for me. I think bringing that type of technology to the game was something special for a player like me, that likes to be light on their feet and quick. It's a great technology.
Dante%20Mom%20450.jpg

NDP: Once you decided to turn pro, what were some of the things that you were looking for in a shoe deal? Obviously there are a lot of brands out there, but what were some of the things that you wanted for yourself?
DE: I was looking for something that was a family feel. Being here for the past few days, it's given me that. I think that was one of the important things, is that I'm always going to be apart of the adidas family. Also, just looking at a shoe that I'm comfortable with, around people that I'm comfortable with. I've been in the adidas Nations program for a couple years now, and I'm comfortable with everyone.
NDP: You had presentations from the social media team, the product team, from brand marketing and all of the different groups of the brand this morning. Was there anything in particular that you really liked that stuck out to you?
DE: I was looking at the brand and how the players are involved with the brand. What was the strongest to me was also the adidas Originals side of things, and how they get the athletes involved with it. I think that's going to be something that I'm going to be looking forward to and enjoying, and looking forward to getting my fashion up a bit.
NDP: It's become more and more rare for guys to sign their shoe deals before the draft, but you became the first player this draft to sign.
DE: Some brands want to naturally see where you'll go [in the draft], and then they'll decide how interested they are. Adidas came on really strong and showed that they were very interested, and I think it helped being in the adidas program and already having that relationship.
NDP: adidas is known for having a lot of great point guards in the NBA, and you're most likely going to be a point guard and a combo guard at times. How would you compare your game to some of the guys that they already have, and what style do you envision yourself playing?
DE: They've got shoes like the Crazyquick, and I think having a player like John Wall as an ambassador for that shoe is great, with how he plays quick. I like speed, and I'd like to play like that. I think that being in the shoe that he's in can give me a bit of an advantage.
NDP: What are some things that you look for in general in a shoe you'd like?
DE: What I look for in a shoe is great traction, so I'm not slipping or sliding on the court. Also, it has to be a comfortable shoe. And then also something that's going to give me support, but stay firm to my foot. I like something that you could pull as tight as you want, and it grips my foot. Adidas has done that, and I'm sure they're going to keep improving on all of the products that they're producing.
NDP: I've seen you playing in the Rose 4 and some other newer models, what's the latest stuff you've been playing in?
DE: I've been playing in the Crazy Fast 2 and the Crazy Light 3 Low. The Crazy Light 3 Low has been a low-type of shoe that I like that's comfortable to my foot. The Crazy Fast is something that I usually wouldn't play in [because it's higher], but they gave it to me and I tried it out and I liked it. So I'm willing to give high cuts a try too.
NDP: What's been your favorite shoe to play in of all of the adidas models you've worn?

DE: My favorite shoe is the Crazy Light 1 Low. It grips my foot and has good traction.
Dante%20Crazy%20Light%201%20Low%20Group.jpg

NDP: You've been wearing the Boost running shoe around yesterday and today. How do those feel, and are you looking forward to Boost making its way into Basketball?
DE: I'm excited to finally get Boost in basketball. I've been wearing the running shoes for over a month now, and you notice going from another shoe that doesn't have Boost to putting on Boost, you just notice that first feeling. It just cushions your foot, and I've had knee problems before, so I'm sure this will help with my knees and being on the court longer and having Boost give me an advantage.
NDP: You mentioned upping your fashion, how would you describe your style off-court?
DE: I'm kind of a quiet guy now and I won't wear any loud things. I'm definitely trying to get more into that kind of style where I'm looking at more trends and things that Jeremy Scott is doing. Some of the stuff he's designing is very cool and different, and that's some of the stuff that I want to get more into.
adidas%20Dante%20Exum%20-%204%20-%20%20450.jpg
NDP: One of the big things with the adidas Originals group has been all of the musicians that've been getting involved with the brand recently, like Kanye, Pharrell, 2Chainz, Big Sean and other guys. Was there anyone in particular that you were most excited to see become involved with the brand?

DE: All of them are big names. Being in Australia, we're kind of hidden from them, but we kind of know them as these big artists. Someone like Kanye has created his own brand, and it's recognized globally. I think to be in that situation where he's going to be creating things for the brand, I definitely hope to be able to get some of that stuff.
NDP: Now that you're going through the process of training for the draft, what's a normal day look like for you, and what types of things are you doing as you build out your regiment before the draft?
DE: A general day for me will be from 10 to 5. I'll shoot in the morning, followed by a weights and conditioning session. Then I'll be back on the court for a skills session in the afternoon, and then get shots up after that also.
NDP: Is there anything in particular that you're working to focus on, or maybe something that scouts or GMs are looking to see you improve on?
DE: I think something everyone needs to get better at is shooting. That's something that I need to build up, so I'm trying to just get as many shots up as I can. Also, finishing. I'm entering a league with a lot of athletic bigs that are going to come across the key and try to block me. I think finishing is a big one.
NDP: Being that you're from Australia, fans are of course more familiar with the college players here in the states. What are some things that people might not know about you that you're excited to have fans begin to learn, whether it's your personality or style of play?
DE: I've been asked that before actually, and I don't really know how to describe myself. [laughs] I'm someone that loves to be serious on the court, and off the court I just like to chill. I'm probably going to come across as the type of guy that's not always just focused on basketball off the court, but [on the court] I'll always be thinking about it.
NDP: What are some things that you like doing for hobbies when you're not playing?
DE: I like playing video games, and ping pong is also something I've always liked doing. Any activity like that.
NDP: Something that's still a form of competition.
DE: Yeah, exactly.
NDP: Lastly, what's it like going through this process, being at the adidas Village and meeting all of the people from the different teams?
DE: Being in Australia, you're kind of hidden away from this kind of environment of a big brand. Coming here to see the facilities and how everyone is a family that cares about eachother and the work they put in, it inspires me to try and do the best I can on the court and help them produce products for me on-court. I think that's the best way to have a relationship with them, and I think it's been a good trip so far and I can't wait to come back.
Dante%20PingPong(1).jpg

980%20exum_ely_47.jpg

Read more: http://solecollector.com/news/interview-dante-exum-talks-joining-adidas-his-favorite-sneakers1/#ixzz31LaFAI00

http://www.sportal.com.au/nba/mystery-surrounds-dante-exum/x7us4ei0397u103bdc2ugl34v

Mystery surrounds Dante Exum
Mystery surrounds Dante Exum
By Sportal Updated an hour ago
Intriguing Exum remains big mystery in draft.
CHICAGO (AP) The clips that show Dante Exum exploding toward the rim, finishing with a thunderous dunk or contorting his body as he flips in a layup, sure are impressive.
That much is clear. But the 6-foot-6 point guard from Australia is one of the biggest mysteries heading into next month's NBA draft.
Fans in the U.S. haven't seen much of him, unlike Kansas' Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid or Duke's Jabari Parker, but they'll be getting a good look soon enough.
Exum arrived Wednesday in Chicago for the draft combine and had already met with Phoenix, Philadelphia and Detroit as of Thursday afternoon. He had four more meetings scheduled, too.
"I guess they all have an idea of what I'm about," Exum said. "They've seen some of the college players play 40-game seasons, and they haven't seen me a lot. I guess when they're trying to look at tape, they can't see a lot of tape of me."
Exum, who turns 19 this summer, is from Melbourne. His father Cecil played professionally Down Under after teaming with Michael Jordan and James Worthy on North Carolina's 1982 championship team.
Now, the younger Exum is ready to step onto the stage. Maybe he can nudge his way into the top three, knocking out Parker, Wiggins and Embiid - three players who skipped the festivities this week. Or maybe Julius Randle will be up there after helping lead Kentucky to the NCAA championship game in his lone season.
"I think there's only upside for me, it's good for me to be here interacting with teams and establish that relationship with them," said Randle, projected as one of the top picks after helping lead Kentucky to the NCAA championship game in his lone season there. "I wanted to be here."
Randle is a known commodity. Exum is a bit of a question mark.
He sees similarities in his game to Russell Westbrook and Manu Ginobili with the way they finish in the lane, but it remains to be seen how his game will translate to the NBA. The few glimpses he has provided are promising. His individual workouts will be important.

Exum boosted his stock with a terrific showing at the Nike Hoop Summit last spring and gave it another jolt with a big showing at the FIBA U-19 championships, averaging about 18 points and four assists. He returned to Australia and led Lake Ginninderra to a national championship. He had 20 points and 15 assists in the title game.
This time last year, Exum was planning to go to play college ball. He visited Indiana, striking up a friendship with Victor Oladipo in the process, and also considered Oregon, Michigan, Kentucky and North Carolina.
But in January, Exum announced he's turning pro. Soon, he'll be stepping into the spotlight.
He has been working out in Los Angeles since February, boosting his strength and conditioning and fine-tuning his skills.
Exum attended several Lakers games this season and got to meet Kobe Bryant, but he downplayed a report that he would prefer to play for them. He insists he's most concerned about the fit when it comes to who drafts him.
"Obviously the Lakers are a great organization," he said. "But I'm in this draft to go to a place I feel best at, that is a good fit for me."
Another possibility could be Philadelphia, a team with a coach in Brett Brown who knows the Australian game quite well. Brown has extensive experience coaching professionally Down Under and even had Cecil Exum as a player.
He also invited a 15-year-old Dante Exum to practice with the Australian national team when Brown was the head coach.
"I've known Brett," Exum said. "It would be a cool position to put myself into. It's got to work out. ... I guess we'll see what happens."

Back
Top Bottom