Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Storm

Votes: 29 74.4%
  • One point each

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
A similar thing happened in the AFL a few years ago and they reversed the result. I dont see why the same could/should not apply here. St George should get the points.

2006: "Sirengate"
The teams' Round 5, 2006 match at Aurora Stadium in Launceston was one of the most controversial matches in AFL history. Fremantle led St Kilda by one point when the final siren sounded; but, the siren was barely audible, and while some players heard it, the umpires did not and play continued. Before the final siren was blown again (and this time heard by the umpires), a free kick was paid to St Kilda's Steven Baker in his forward line; he kicked a behindafter the second siren, and the game concluded as a draw.

Fremantle lodged an official protest against the result. Three days after the match, the AFL upheld Fremantle's protest, removing Baker's point from the score and confirming Fremantle as one-point winners. The AFL ruled that the timekeeper had failed to perform his duty to sound the siren until it was acknowledged by the umpire.[2]

Storm.

Cowboys have been cruelled by incorrect calls and no one overturned anything for them.
Agree also are you going to take the points scored by Manly against the Tigers after the halftime siren off them. Didn't affect the result but will alter the for and against which could come into play at the end of the season if they are on the same points as another team.

Unless they are going to change every bad decision after the event they shouldn't change any.

Melbourne played the ball on the siren.

They went all hail Mary and jagged the win.

Points remain with Melbourne.

And let's not even go to Proctor being denied a try and Merrin given a try when Dugan offside. Or the 2010 Grand Final with Morris' foot in touch, or the time in 2009 Soward took a dive and they denied Idris a Bulldogs try to win, which cost them the minor premiership…and so forth and so on…

In fact, it's turned a fantastic grand stand finish in to a tampax commercial.

For every sooky la la Saints fan - and yeah, I'm talking about half my family here too - Brownie needs to give you one of these to snap you out of it.

LOL.

PS - for the 'conspiracy theorists' out there…Steven Clark in the video ref box…supposedly heard on the ear piece telling Checcin it's game over but play the ball continued on...

That said, not sure if I'd be so gracious in defeat if it was my team.

Stay safe Saints fans. Stay away from the razors ;-)

Screen Shot 2014-04-16 at 12.45.25 PM.png

A similar thing happened in the AFL a few years ago and they reversed the result. I dont see why the same could/should not apply here. St George should get the points.

2006: "Sirengate"
The teams' Round 5, 2006 match at Aurora Stadium in Launceston was one of the most controversial matches in AFL history. Fremantle led St Kilda by one point when the final siren sounded; but, the siren was barely audible, and while some players heard it, the umpires did not and play continued. Before the final siren was blown again (and this time heard by the umpires), a free kick was paid to St Kilda's Steven Baker in his forward line; he kicked a behindafter the second siren, and the game concluded as a draw.

Fremantle lodged an official protest against the result. Three days after the match, the AFL upheld Fremantle's protest, removing Baker's point from the score and confirming Fremantle as one-point winners. The AFL ruled that the timekeeper had failed to perform his duty to sound the siren until it was acknowledged by the umpire.[2]

Fair enough the siren had gone in the AFL and the played on after it.

In this case, the guy was playing the ball as siren sounded.

Play on for mine.

Even as I was watching it, watching the clock, I was thinking "get up…get up…one more play the ball!!!" And he did it, on the buzzer. Ball alive.

Yeah , to be honest if every good or bad decision got over ruled we would be here all week complaining about who should have won and who got ripped off!. Lets just get on with it as every team over the years have had their fair share of both good and bad. The Storm won fair and square and I don't even follow them.

The ball was played after the siren had started sounding. Rule states that the ball must be in contact with the foot when the siren sounds for the play to be allowed, and it clearly wasn't (as the NRL admitted).

As usual the NRL is reacting to a debacle that many people saw coming. How hard would it be to synch the tv clock, the ground clock and the siren clock? US sports do it. Then the video could simply be replayed to see if the timer had ticked past 80, and a no-try would correctly be awarded.

The incompetence of the NRL continues to astound me. No wonder crowds are down.

As for the original question ... they should have sent it to the video ref at the time. Now the game is over I don't think the Dragons will get the two points, but they probably should. If they do take legal action, they have pretty solid grounds.

Having pick Storm in tips i was watching the clock and eggin him but as it hit 80.00 i though damn it (different word used) because to me he didnt have a split second left to play the ball before the ref blew the whistle. Then i was like wow they let him play.... To me it wasent a try but you cant reverse the result. Unfortunatly bad calls are apart of the game. I like to hope they even emselves out somhow

I was channel surfing and saw that the Steelers were leading by 14 points so I thought it was all over, everyone apparently but the Storm players, you play to the refs whistle!, you don't play to the spectators counting the clock down, the play the ball and the siren were almost simultaneous from what I've been told but it appears that Price and Doust are looking for scapegoats other than their players who frankly blew a match winning lead.

Storm

This call may have cost the Dragons the game but only because it happened on full time. How many poor calls decide a game during the match.

The last Dragons try to Merrin was no try, Dugan was offside and it was an easy one to call as he was in front of 30m and Witt was behind when he kicked it.

Tough break to the Dragons but that is football and sport in general

Back
Top Bottom