Free Agency period has begun...

Also, Raiders have inquired about DeSean Jackson from the Eagles. I hope this does not happen as he is way too much of a Diva WR for my liking, and I am pretty happy with Jones, Streater and Holmes as the top 3 WR's.

Schaub to the Raiders for a 6th round pick. I will re-post here what I posted in a thread over on BO about why I like the trade:

1. The salary is not a worry for the Raiders - as mentioned they needed help to hit the cap floor minimum (another $21 mil approx. before the trade)! So the $10.93 mil is a good help at getting to the floor minimum. Also by the sounds of what I have read, Texans still have to pay the guaranteed money so he can essentially be cut for minimal cap hit. Essentially, signing Schaub in FA would have cost the Raiders more in Guaranteed money that he is getting from the team with the trade.

2. A sixth round pick for a starting QB is a good deal. He may not be 1 top 10 or even a top 20 QB anymore, but he is still a starting calibre QB and I would much rather see him in the Silver & Black than Vick, Freeman or Sanchez who have all been rumoured as being options also. Plus regaining a sixth round pick isn't the hardest - trading back a few spots in the third will get you another (using the draft value chart the Raiders sixth is equal from trading their 3rd round #3 to the Giants 3rd round #10).

3. Trading for Schaub ensures he is on the team. They can't loose out in FA to the Browns and Jets who were also both rumoured to be after him. A sixth round pick is a low price to pay for that.

4. Whether the team drafts a rookie high in the first or if at all, it will certainly help to have a vet QB on the roster, something they didn't have for the most part of last season with Pryor, McGloin and Tyler Wilson.

I will add, none of the rookie QB's have large appeal to me either, so hopefully we can now trade back in the draft picking up another pick or two and McKenzie can draft "Best Player Available" with the roster pretty much set with no urgent needs - young guys to replace the vets in a season or two. I think the biggest need would probably be a slot CB.

“@AdamSchefter: Chicago Bears have agreed to terms with DE Jared Allen on a four-year contract.”

“@AdamSchefter: A deal still not final, but Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew and Raiders are expected to agree later today on a three-year deal, per sources.”

MJD signed by the Raiders!! Pretty happy about this signing. Have always loved watching MJD run the ball. And it also limits the amount of times McFadden needs to touch the ball and loose yards...

Raiders have also re-signed Pat Sims who played well last year especially at the end of the season; and CJ Wilson from the Packers; two guys who will help keep the DL rotation fresh.

In other news, DeSean Jackson has been released by the Eagles... and the Raiders have shown strong interest. Not a huge fan of his diva / headache attitude that he would bring to the team though.

so eagles drop Desean Jackson and the redskins have signed him for 3 years, hopefully Skins can turn it around this season, nice receiver group they have now. GO SKINS

And the Rams sign.......Kenny Britt ?? What the ? Oh wait, ex- Oiler..... err.... Titan of course...

Still, only a 1 year deal, so maybe he can contribute if he stays healthy and out of trouble....

Back
Top Bottom